It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Arrested After Taking Thrown Out Food

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't know if this point has been touched upon so I aren't intending to step on anyone else's toes with the same idea.

If I had half the free time I wish I did and no responsibilities (wife and kids) I would be tempted to walk into the police station and confess to finding a penny and keeping it, this too would be theft by finding, it has more monetary value than rubbish (garbage) so surely I would be more of a criminal than a woman taking some unwanted trash which would cost money to take away on collection day and be left to rot and cause harm to the environment (packaging, not the composting effect of the food).
I would love to rake finding a penny through courts and when I am no doubt ridiculed for wishing to allow myself to waste courts/police/solicitors time and money over a penny I would proudly present this case as being a much more ridiculous charge with zero monetary value as opposed to me 'thieving by finding' a coin of the realm which has monetary value.
I would be more concerned with why a woman in a supposed free and modern country has to take food from a bin than if the food was indeed hers for the taking as it was indeed discarded and unwanted.
2011 and we still have people eating out of bins while tons of perfectly edible food is taken to a dump to rot.
Maybe there should be rules in place where people can help themselves but the supermarkets are completely free of responsibility if the food causes any harm whatsoever as once it is discarded it is considered no longer the problem of the supermarkets and factories.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

God bless them. We need more people that like in the world.
Thank you for sharing that.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

speechless

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So the cops now arrest you for "theft by finding"? Were the hell did that come charge from?

OK, so what about all those cops that get free donuts at the local donut shop? I would think what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Next time a cop gets up to leave the donut shop and doesn't pay should we do a citizen's arrest?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
SO IF I FIND 2 PENNIES DO I GET HUNG???..... EVERYBODY DUMPDIVES IN TODAYS TIMES!!!.....EVEN MY HIGH CLASS NEIGHBORS!!!!!!!......THEFT BY FINDING NEVER OCCUR TO ME.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It's hard to fathom how much supermarkets waste every day. In harder times I have lived off "skipped" food from all the major supermarkets for months at a time. Marks and spencer now actually cover all the food in blue dye in order to put people off eating it. I'm not sure how toxic the stuff is, I have never been ill myself, perhaps it is also an effort to shame the people doing it as it stains your hands completely.

I have been physically attacked by workers at some chains. The supermarkets really put pressure on their employees to discourage this.

I was under the impression that, in terms of the law, because the supermarkets rent the bins off another company, it's technically theft from the bin owners. I may be wrong.

The third world is starving and here in the "developed" world we throw away enough food to feed those in need probably twice over. Makes you feel sick .

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

And in todays "world gone completely insane" news...

This is another story which shows what a truly mad world we live in.

People are increasingly going jobless and hungry, and not only is this company WASTING tons of food, but someone gets ARRESTED for trying to feed themselves with some of this food which had been discarded, and laying on the street?!?

Our 'modern' society is absolutely mentally ill and bass ackwards to the nth degree...There is something so wrong with this on SO many levels I can't even wrap my head around it...

www.financenews.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

The rabbit hole goes very deep my friend. In any case, I had just lost my Job and am awaiting eviction I've put many applications in but no no avail it looks like I'm going to be living on the street and the sad part of it is I'm a hard working tax paying American!!!! Don't you just love the world these days!?!?!?!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
I remember reading an article a while back that had to do with theft by finding.

A woman bought a briefcase from a goodwill store and and when she got home and inspected the case further she noticed the seems were not completely sewed up so she pulled back the fabric. She found around $100,000 hidden in the briefcase and she deposited the money in her bank account.

She would have gotten away with it if she hadn't of depositted it to her bank account. These days the banks report any cash tranactions over 8k to the gov't. It used to be 10k but they changed it because too many people where bringing in 9.5K of cash to be under the limit.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Marks and spencer now actually cover all the food in blue dye in order to put people off eating it. I'm not sure how toxic the stuff is, I have never been ill myself, perhaps it is also an effort to shame the people doing it as it stains your hands completely.

I know of a chain that a budy worked at that during the 90's used to pour bleach over the food they through out to stop dumpster diving.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Lets say as in my case at a very large Univ hospital, you knew every day at 3pm, they would be throwing away tons of good food (like the 36 thawed chicken breasts I once recovered)...and then you waited at the dumpster each day.
It would be considered theft from private property.

Today Im at a large Big-3 auto company headquarters and....yep. Every day at 2:00, black bags leave the building and into the dumpster . Deli meats and cheese, rolls, fresh and cook burgers, chicken and meats.

Be an employee and take it? Theft...and youre fired. Be a homeless person waiting for todays "discards"? Youre arrested for stealing from private property.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

What a waste of time,, taking this woman to court would cost the tax payer's thousands of pound's and how can they give an estimate to how much actually ate out of the bin what gets me, they should have all you can eat out of Tescos wheely bin for a tenner or just give the out of date food to the poor buts its not about that is it?????? money orrientated biggots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
www.lawteacher.net...
Take a look at this. The law states that a person taking something is not theft if:
(a) if he appropriates the property in the belief that he has in law the right to
deprive the other of it, on behalf of himself or of a third person; or
(b) if he appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other’s
consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it; or
(c) (except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representative) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the
property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

It is a crazy law, but it is the law. I used to work at a clothing retailer and sometimes we needed to throw away old not sold items. We would have to cut the garments so that they were unwearable. Eventually, after we lowly employees complained we began donating the garments to homeless shelters.

Is it not the LAW. It is a statute, which slaves like 99.9% of the population believe is law.

It is not unlawful to break statute (though it is "illegal") if you are not willingly and consciously party to the compact which gives the statute its force (a statute is a rule of a society given the force of law). However, most people will behave AS IF they are willingly and consciously party to that compact, even though they are ignorant of its existence! They are trained from childhood to do this, and when they do, the Powers that Be are held harmless in the Creator's sight insofar as they do not tread on real sovereigns or extend their reach beyond the corporate commercial (fictional) world they operate in.

Ignorance of the Law is no excuse, so when this poor woman answers "Yes" when the magistrate asks her if she under stands the charges against her, she loses her human rights and has only privilege to stand on. This plays into the hands of the magistrate, of course. She automatically loses her real-law rights when she is duped into playing "pretend navy".

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
In an economy powered by consumerism and waste, this is not as crazy as it seems.

The retailer my step-mom works at will shred all perfectly good articles of clothing before throwing them away in the back. Why? If people just pick it all up from there, they will not want to buy the clothing. That means no profit for the stores and the store goes out of business.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
theft by finding is a messed up law ive been stop searched on suspicion of theft by finding . the copper told me it was becoz i was seen riding my bike in different parts of the town at 3 in the morning my only reply was WTF i couldnt sleep so went on a ride to tire myself out .

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nothing to it. Let's not invade Lebanon, for example, or go to war with Iran. Then with our projected savings let's buy these people meals so they don't face arrest for starving.

As far as I am aware, the excuse is chiefly hygiene. If any of the discarded food actually makes anyone sick, liability ensues.

You would have to not throw it away in the first place, which would mean 'giving away' the amount projected as waste before it's shelf life.

That won't happen because it's too easy, it makes sense and it requires a human heart which I believe is a rare commodity with shareholders, at least some of who, somewhere at least, are the very same people who are sincerley indignant over this, or any other similar disgrace.

Oh dear.

edit on 8-3-2011 by D377MC because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2011 by D377MC because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join