It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Arrested After Taking Thrown Out Food

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Woman Arrested After Taking Thrown Out Food

www.financenews.co.uk

A woman has been arrested after helping herself to some of the 3000 pounds worth of food that a Tesco express had thrown out. Sasha Hall is said to have taken some potato waffles, pie and ham that she had found in the street, following a power cut at the Tesco in Great Baddow, Essex.

She was shocked as she was approached by police and arrested for 'Theft by finding'. The 21 year old is now facing trial later this month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+55 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And in todays "world gone completely insane" news...

This is another story which shows what a truly mad world we live in.

People are increasingly going jobless and hungry, and not only is this company WASTING tons of food, but someone gets ARRESTED for trying to feed themselves with some of this food which had been discarded, and laying on the street?!?

Our 'modern' society is absolutely mentally ill and bass ackwards to the nth degree...There is something so wrong with this on SO many levels I can't even wrap my head around it...

www.financenews.co.uk
edit on 12-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Now that's a dirty shame, the poor woman. What the hell is theft by finding?

I think I made a thread once exploring the concept, finders keepers losers weepers. One man's loss is another man's find, that should not be criminal.

I also thought police and anyone had the right to your trash, once its tossed it is fair game! Did the trash collectors get charged with theft by finding then?

More jackboot tactics against the most vulnerable.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
How is it that a private investigator is allowed to go though my ttrash, in order to find incriminating evidence of fraud, (worker's comp) but this lady is arrested for taking food from the trash?

I know people who go to high end neighorhoods to "dumpster dive" and then sell their treasures on EBay, or at swap meets?

Hypocrite much?

I can understand that the store wouldn't want to be liable if this woman or her family were to become ill from food poisoning, but arrested?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Haha no way, I live there! That's minutes away from me!

Perhaps if I invest in a mouse costume, I could hang around the back at night time and snap me up a few tasty treats!

Seriously though, what a amazingly sick and effed up world we live in...

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wtf is this crap? It's not found. The original owners abandoned it. Whoever takes posession of it next is the lawfull owner. You cant steal by finding something that has no owner.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It is a crazy law, but it is the law. I used to work at a clothing retailer and sometimes we needed to throw away old not sold items. We would have to cut the garments so that they were unwearable. Eventually, after we lowly employees complained we began donating the garments to homeless shelters.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Theft by finding - what kind of law is that. So if I find a $20 bill sitting in the street I can't pick up and keep it. What an insane world we live in!!

Where I use to live I would go to the grocery and every now and then would turn my car around by going to the back of the store - I have seen people getting food from the dumpster - is this too illegal? People are hungry - they should have just taken the lady to the soup kitchen or the local food basket. On second thought they should have left her alone. I am sure the cops could find something more important to do.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

I couldn't have said it better. WTF???

Theft by finding? Would picking up a penny off the ground also be theft by finding then since we can't be sure the original holder of the penny threw it away?

If Tesco doesn't want its waste food picked through then why isn't the disposal area fenced off and locked up like most businesses do to prevent waste picking?

If I didn't lock the bins up at the facility I manage I would have to post a guard to keep pickers away from them, so naturally they stay locked.
edit on 12-2-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I remember reading an article a while back that had to do with theft by finding.

A woman bought a briefcase from a goodwill store and and when she got home and inspected the case further she noticed the seems were not completely sewed up so she pulled back the fabric. She found around $100,000 hidden in the briefcase and she deposited the money in her bank account.

Then shortly after she received a visit from the police and was arrested and charged with theft by finding. I'm not sure what happened but theft by finding carries the same penalty as theft so my guess is she is doing jail time somewhere and not a short stay either.

The way the system is set up is a way that makes you have to use your resources to gain anything. No freebies or you may end up in jail. Pretty sad and it shows just how we are all just a number to the system.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

This is another story which shows what a truly mad world we live in.

People are increasingly going jobless and hungry, and not only is this company WASTING tons of food, but someone gets ARRESTED for trying to feed themselves with some of this food which had been discarded, and laying on the street?!?

Our 'modern' society is absolutely mentally ill and bass ackwards to the nth degree...There is something so wrong with this on SO many levels I can't even wrap my head around it...

www.financenews.co.uk
edit on 12-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

www.huffingtonpost.com...
This is absolutely horrible! Thankyou op for bringing this to our attention. It reminded me of another thread, here on ATS, some time ago about walmart and destroying unsold clothing items. Above I provided a link ( I hope), as a little reminder.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What this, yet AGAIN emphasizes and epitomizes is that we as a collective 'modern' society have WAY too many mickey mouse, nonsensical laws, and WAY too much policing and enforcement of said laws.

The bureacracy BEHIND this law, the police who actually enforced it, and the company WASTING that food should all be absolutely ASHAMED of themselves. People are STARVING in this world everywhere, and NO ONE should be PUNISHED for trying to put food in them that was simply being wasted.

This really is disturbing and insane on too many levels to even count.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What this, yet AGAIN emphasizes and epitomizes is that we as a collective 'modern' society have WAY too many mickey mouse, nonsensical laws, and WAY too much policing and enforcement of said laws.

The bureacracy BEHIND this law, the police who actually enforced it, and the company WASTING that food should all be absolutely ASHAMED of themselves. People are STARVING in this world everywhere, and NO ONE should be PUNISHED for trying to put food in them that was simply being wasted.

This really is disturbing and insane on too many levels to even count.

I recently did a small electrical job at a local convienience store, that had a deli. The manager of the deli was saying that they actually poor bleach on their leftover food waste after it goes into the dumpster. Reason... one of the employees was "startled" when she opened the lid, to find a person in there scavenging for "sustainance", while discarding the refuse. Boy oh boy!

link   

This is a prime example of the failure and wasteful unsustainable nature of capitalism, the policy of it is that they would rather throw goods away than to give them away for free, but is this really the way to life life? no, its just a game,and accumulating money is just a way to keep score, it is far from wholesome and good. i worked in the food service industry for years as a line cook, and the amount of waste is appauling concidering the amount of families going without, examples of having to work 12 hour shifts with only 5 minute breaks per shift and when an order was denied or sent back i would ask if i could have it for my lunch break they would say no we have to throw it away company policy,imagine throwing away a perfectly good plate of food because no money was exchanged for something with real value, i just hope people will start waking up and taking life by the balls and do something about this rediculous way of life we live, it isnt quality of life at all and alot of times quite hellish, the best way to fight back against this tyranny is to not play their game,say no to their draconian policies and take what you deserve as a mass,its your life, live the damn thing your way not by the way of the few scrooges dictating the way they think it should be lived

link   
So I guess"Freeganism"hasn't caught on where you live? There are families out there that get most if not all their food this way. I saw a program on TV a few months ago about a group of Freegans in New York that go around to grocery stores and bakeries after they close and go through the garbage ,and find amazing amounts of perfectly good food .freegan.info...

edit on 12-2-2011 by ramuh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ramuh
So I guess"Freeganism"hasn't caught on where you live? There are families out there that get most if not all their food this way. I saw a program on TV a few months ago about a group of Freegans in New York that go around to grocery stores and bakeries after they close and go through the garbage ,and find amazing amounts of perfectly good food .freegan.info...

edit on 12-2-2011 by ramuh because: (no reason given)

Freeganism is a pretty cool practice I watched a lot of videos about it on Youtube and I was shocked by the amount of perfectly good food that was thrown away. I was even more shocked when I found out that the biggest offenders of throwing away edible food was stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes considering they act like they are out to save the planet and all that mumbo jumbo.

I was really thinking about going dumpster diving to see what it was all about but never worked up the nerve to actually do it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
aside from the arrest being borderline harassment ... why aren't more ppl in an outrage over Tesco TOSSING viable food products?

aren't we currently experiencing a global production disaster?
shouldn't Tesco be taken to task for their nonchalant attempt to avoid contributing to their community?

after all a Tesco spokesman said: "We seek to minimize waste in all our stores and where possible will seek to reuse and recycle it" ~~ for some reason that just reeks of misrepresentation.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

This is a little more than just a world gone mad. This is a world gone anti-human life - evil.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

What's great about this is she is now in jail where she will be getting.............."FREE FOOD"!!!!!!
free to her anyway.
Seriously, this kind of story almost puts a smile on my face because I know that the S is about to HTF real soon.
Massive upheaval of the old system is innevitable.
They are trying to rob us of our humanity.
This is just one step closer.
Hang on tight my friends I think we are all in for a bumpy ride but I am sure we will come out on top.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
aside from the arrest being borderline harassment ... why aren't more ppl in an outrage over Tesco TOSSING viable food products?

aren't we currently experiencing a global production disaster?
shouldn't Tesco be taken to task for their nonchalant attempt to avoid contributing to their community?

after all a Tesco spokesman said: "We seek to minimize waste in all our stores and where possible will seek to reuse and recycle it" ~~ for some reason that just reeks of misrepresentation.

In agreement, but including the legislators who enacted this law/code? To think, those well to do, scumbags who implemented this law, sat around well in advance talking about the possibilty of things getting this bad, "on the public dole", and thought they are going to do whatever they gotta do to circumvent the less fortunate from having access to "free" food. Their high net worth constituants, many of them restaurant and grocery store owners, are in on it too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join