It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


2 horses die suddenly from electric shock from the ground at newbury....tingling from the grass??

page: 1

log in


posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:04 AM
seems theres more animals getting effected by whatever is going on.

A horse trained by Cotswold trainer Jonjo O'Neill has died unexpectedly, halting racing at Newbury.

Fenix Two, and another horse, Marching Song, collapsed and died in the parade ring before the first race.

An inquiry and immediate post-mortems were announced, with the reasons for the deaths unknown amid speculation the horses died from some form of electric shock emanating from underneath the paddock.

Some horses had already made it down to the start and there were reports that others had "wobbled" on entering the paddock.
Click here for more

Jonjo O'Neill, who owns stables in the Cotswolds, said: "Kid Cassidy was in front and he took a turn.

"We thought he was bucking and kicking and he went down on his knees then he seemed to be OK.

"Mine reared up and we couldn't get him back, it was like he was stuck to the ground. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my life."

Nicky Henderson was quick to withdraw his runner Kid Cassidy, while Andy Turnell, trainer of Marching Song, said: "It looks like they've been electrocuted. My fellow seemed perfectly all right and I was about to leg him up but he just went straight down."

Denman's owner Paul Barber was in the paddock and said: "The girl of Turnell's said she felt a tingling as she led them round and then Nicky's horse went down.

"They were getting the shocks off the grass, not off the tarmac. I've never seen anything quite like that ever."

Stipendiary steward Paul Barton said: "We are going to hold an inquiry and interview those connected with the horses."

Despite running the first race, a decision was taking to call the rest of the meeting off.

A statement released at 2.10pm read: "The Newbury executive have decided that racing today has been abandoned." ies_Header_4&lid=ARTICLE_15929242_Newbury_Races%3A_Horses_Electrocuted_In_Freak_Parade_Ring_Incident
edit on 12-2-2011 by welshbeliever because: link added

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
This is just too odd, the insulation of people and their shoes must of prevented them from taking it as well; horses have iron on their feet.

What ever is capable of taking a horse down I am shocked that no humans fell. I wonder if they are also on any ley lines. I would guess that if there were a discharge of electricity that its usage would be detectable.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
That's crazy! As a horse owner, it makes me said, too, BUT...I'm trying to figure out how two horses could die, but not their handler. That doesn't make sense. If it was something in the ground...WAIT!!! I think I've got it. SHOES. Would their iron shod hooves act as a conductor? I'll have to ask hubby who's a general contractor here in the States.


posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
reply to post by Greensage

LOL. We cross posted. I think it's shoe-related, too.


posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:42 AM
i hate to say it but think about the movie "the core" when the plannt it self stoped rotating.

worse fear of mankind .... but i hope not...
or it could be a disruption in the earths ground magntic field .

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
reply to post by alysha.angel

You know when i saw this story i thought the same thing. I thought magnetic, as there feet have the iron shoe on them.

Hopefully we will find out what it was.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:49 PM
Even if the ground was electrified or something and the rubber sole shoes protected the handler why didn't anyone get shocked inspecting the horses after they went down? If there was enough electricity to drop two horses then I can only imagine what it would do to a human. Whatever happened must have occurred for a little bit of time only.

If it was magnetic wouldn't there had to be something other than the horse shoes that conducted this electricity? I'm trying to figure out what acted like a coil which would then react with the magnetism causing a electric current. Could there possibly be copper tubing running through the ground there for geothermal heating and some magnetic anomaly caused the copper to become conductive like a giant coil?

Weird indeed.
edit on 12-2-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
Non lethel weapons are used in horse racing, and i think thats the most likely answer. Alot of shady characters in that sport.

Horse racing knows about this problem, lol

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
I think this comment left under the Daily Mail story may have hit the nail on the head.

Look it up on Wikipedia, Ground Potential occurring through high voltage cable faults is not that uncommon, usually happens when a nearby substation looses it's grounding momentarily for whatever reason. Potential Difference voltages across a few feet of turf are certainly enough to electrocute an animal with metal shoes. - Tony Elkin, Nicosia Cyprus, 12/2/2011 17:08

Read more:

If not then it was definitely caused by pole shifting Chinese lanterns igniting swamp gas causing an electrical charge to pass from the swamp gas into the ground and through the damp grass to the horses metal shoes,

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
I go with the ground fault too...i bet they find some broken cable or other compromised circuit nearby

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:18 PM

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
If there was enough electricity to drop two horses then I can only imagine what it would do to a human.

This would be the answer to that....

Horses are far more sensitive to electricity than humans, and wet ground conditions could have contributed to the fatal accident


posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
If it was like the track racing in the states they usually have those big electrical parimutual odds boards lit up out in the infield that display the predicted probabilities and actual results. Also of course the camera equipment for the photo finishes. Maybe we need some rubber booties for the horses?
edit on 12-2-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:16 AM
reply to post by Greensage

When I was studying electronics for the building industry it was noted that humans can withstand much more electrical current whilst outside than any animal due to the fact that we have rubber soled shoes which prevent us from recieving these electrical shocks. The tingling sensation is exactley what you would expect people to experience who are around currents, but are not themselves conducting.

This is very strange, but there could be many explanations. It certainly doesnt help that horses have conductive metal shoes. It would be interesting to see what is around the field or if any other structures previously have existed in or around it.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:20 AM
The horses were electricuted by a section of electronics that have since been removed. They have both had a post mortum which confirms they died of an electric shock. daddles boots and the hat that the rider wear contain rubber. and the horses had iron shoes on their feet and a metal bit in their mouth. both which concuct electricity.

Please stop scaremongering. These deaths are not related to any of the strange animal deaths that have occured recently.

new topics

top topics


log in