It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

xbox360 ERROR E 74

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
has anyone gotten this error? i was playing castlevania los, and black lines went straight up the screen. i went back to the dashboard thinking it was the game, and restarted the game. again, right from the start, the black lines showed up. so i restarted the console, the number 4 slot blinked red and it gave me a black screen saying error with E 74 on the bottom of the screen and to contact xbox.com/support.. which of course i googled the error online 1st and came up with a lot of nothing in regards on how to fix it myself.
my warranty expired may09 for general repairs, but thankfully for this particular repair it stated i was still under warranty, so off to ms my x360 travels again... thankfully no charge... i've had it for almost 4 years and the only other problem i had was 6 months after i bought it i got the RROD, which ms said was due to cooling issues, and after sending it in that time they sent me a new version for free...
and i have the elite edition if that has anything to do with it, i dunno
just wondering if anyone else has received this error...
edit on 12-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: additional info

edit on 12-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Try the towel trick, some times it works for people.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

According to the web, you can make this go away by unplugging everything from the 360 for about half an hour and then reattaching it all again.

It also says that, from here on out, without service, you'll have to do this every single time you want to turn it on.

I don't know if this info is accurate - but if you're jonesing to play, it is worth a shot.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I had that error and eventually all the lights started flashing. It's probably going to need fixed as in sent in for repairs. I think that error is supposed to be some sort of hard drive issue but taking mine out didn't make it go away.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

Mine got the same error and I was told it needed a new AV cable which made no difference, sometimes it came on ok, sometimes it didn't. Eventually I put it in for repair but they said the chip was fried and it came back displaying 4 red lights instead. I ended up buying a new one. I believe it's all to do with the cooling of the unit and the fan not being good enough. It is possible to have a new type of fan fitted and a heat sync unit.

I would put it in for repair as soon as possible before it gets any worse.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
E74 means the scaler chip is damaged. You might be able to coax a little more life out of it, but without sending it in it'll only get worse. It's covered by the 3 year warranty though, so you may be in luck depending on when you bought it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
thanks for all the input, i did send it in, so hopefully they can repair it or send a new one like they did last time... if not, i have been wanting that sleek gloss black new one...

i did try to unplug and replug, but that didn't work this time... why do evil corporations have the most wonderful inventions? ah well, best not to think about it, i don't want old billy gates to send a thug squad out to my house to silence me for my questioning

top topics

join