It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more cell towers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I found this regarding cell phone towers being replaced by smaller "cell" units and just thought it had to be posted.
Wouldn't a smaller "cell" give TPTB a much more accurate reading of your current location than one that a standard tower would? Assuming your phone doesn't have GPS, or it's turned off that is.

After reading the article - think about what it really means, aside from longer battery life & fewer dead spots.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Doesn't matter if your phone is turned off, they can still track it.

If they are going to do this, you can bet it will track you more accurately.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Instead of having all phones within a mile or two connect to the same cell tower, the traffic could be divided between several smaller cells...

There you have it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

It would absolutely provide a more accurate way of pin-pointing your location. Let's think of it this way however, this type of technology can be used in both directions... give that some thought......

edit on 12-2-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You would think its just much more advanced than the techs of 15 years or so back when it first came out. Everything gets smaller in techs, and more discrete.

I do not have a mobile, and will not get one. I think even congress knows mobiles are weapons.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
WOW you have to
at the number of people on here that think TPTB would be interested in knowing were they are! To many paranoid people on here it seems

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Even paranoids have real enemies

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
reply to post by wmd_2008

Even paranoids have real enemies

YES and we KNOW where in their heads!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I give up where in there heads?????

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

May have been a to complicated qoute for YOU so if I say all in their minds is that better!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Uhh... what? Micro-cells? DAS?

Those are already commonplace in many locales, and have been since 2002. Been to a shopping mall? Been down a crowded, down-town street, or maybe a twisting, winding mountain road? You've been on a micro-cell or DAS (Distributed Antenna System). Back in the day, they were referred to as "repeaters" or "string sites". Today, carriers may refer to some of the most power-limited sites as "femtocells".

But honestly, all they are... are low powered cell sites... and are typically omni-directional, but could be bi-directional. Which means that even though you may be communicating with that cell, the cell may know how far away you could be but has no idea in which direction you are from it, maybe you're North or South, or East or West, and even at best only knows with which "antenna" you are talking with it.

Talk about paranoia strikes....

Disclaimer:
I work on these things, from tall towers to mall sites. I may know a thing or two about them.

edit on 2/18/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

May have been a to complicated qoute for YOU so if I say all in their minds is that better!!!

Yes that was a bit complicated for me.....sorry to be so slow.....must be my old age catching up with me.Yes that's much better.Now I can understand.You can't take a joke..I understand perfectly.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

But honestly, all they are... are low powered cell sites... and are typically omni-directional, but could be bi-directional. Which means that even though you may be communicating with that cell, the cell may know how far away you could be but has no idea in which direction you are from it, maybe you're North or South, or East or West, and even at best only knows with which "antenna" you are talking with it.

Yes if its just one cell tower that has you then it cannot give an accurate location.
But what this plan does is replace the small number of towers with a larger number of micro cells. With three cells giving only the distance to your phone based on signal strenght they can pinpoint where you are (remember its called triangulation) With an increased number of micro cells in place the chances that you will ping off of at least three towers is very likely. Even with two towers giving distance only you could narrow the location down to a significantly small area.
This is already happening with current cellular service. Most phones still do not have GPS (sat.) they simple use whats called Location Based Services. Its less accurate than GPS but it uses the large number of towers in metro areas to triangulate your position and send you map references based on your general location.

If you dont want to be tracked with your cell phone then leave it in a location or take the battery out and use it only when you need it. Dont worry about trying to only use it for a few minutes that TV nonsense about tracking phone calls is WAY off base with modern digital networks. Once you are online your location is known because your phone (cellular or wireline) has to access a switch to make a call. That information is recorded. Once the call is made the switch it dials is known and that record is accessable in seconds. If some agency is actively watching a number then they know what number is calling in and where that call originated in a matter of seconds. Now granted with a cellular line that originating number is physically mobile so it would take more time to pinpoint the exact location but the tower that you are accessing is know instantly. Since all of the info is recorded even if you drop off quick its just a matter of acessing the data and your location is known.
Not telling you to avoid calls or whatnot just use this info accordingly.

new topics

top topics

join