It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musharraf Served Arrest Warrant In Bhutto Assasination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Musharraf Served Arrest Warrant In Bhutto Assasination

www.hindustantimes.com

An Anti Terrorism Court (ATC) has issued a warrant for the arrest of former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf in the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, a media report said on Saturday. According to Geo TV, the warrant was issued by the anti terrorism court in Rawalpindi.

The former military dictator was aware that the Taliban was plotting to kill Bhutto, but he did not pass on the information to the authorities concerned, said a team probing the 2007 assassination of Benazir Bhutto.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hindustantimes.com

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The timing of this is quite interesting, very interesting.

Many of us were left wondering about this assasindation years ago.
Did she know too much?

As she was leaving Liaquat Bagh in a motorcade after addressing an election rally Dec 27, 2007 Bhutto was assassinated in Rawalpindi.

Aziz claimed that Musharraf had given the order to change Benazir's security in charge. He also claimed that the murder scene was immediately washed on Musharraf's orders.

Musharraf ruled Pakistan for nine years after taking power in a bloodless coup in 1999. He stepped down in 2008 and left Pakistan. He now lives in London

In related news that perhaps escaped attention....Investigators probing the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto found two BlackBerry mobile phones belonging to the slain leader. Pakistan's Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has recovered the phones from a servant at Bhutto's family residence in Karachi, reported on February 04, 2011.

The phones were not given to the UN investigators who had submitted their report on the murder to Pakistani government last year.

www.hindustantimes.com...

www.hindustantimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is interesting. I wonder exactly what the nature of the charges being bought are? The differences between British and Pakistani law may be a barrier in understanding the nature of the charge bought against him, but it is hard to see how he could be charged with any conspiracy to murder of some sort, unless there were some evidence of collusion between himself, and the party or parties who actualy funded, organised, and performed the act of the assasination itself.
Of course if he merely was aware of a situation and made arrangements which negatively effected Bhutto's security situation, then there may be a stronger case than negligent homicide to answer. Personaly I would love to see Musharraf busted all the way to the grave for certain things that he has been responsible for, and I wouldnt be SUPRISED to find that there is an evidenciary chain that leads to him in the matter of Bhuttos death, but I havent heard or seen any data which would support that, so I can only assume that the prosecutors in Pakistan have some new evidence which puts him firmly in the frame. I only hope that the truth will out.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
never heard of this source..

how reliable are they?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoltonWanderer
never heard of this source..

how reliable are they?

Do you know what google is?
Do you know how to use it?

Why even post that when you could have used 20 seconds to find alternate sources yourself?

Lazy!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

Haha too true, I got this on Reuters as well!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

From what the news was saying he is accused of not assigning enough security to protect her. 2 Police Commanders were apparently arrested and charged for bieng involved in the assasination somehow.

They also talked about the political motivated part some others in here brought up. Musharrif apparently was supposed to return and run in the next presidential election. This action apparently is being suggested as a way to prevent that from happening. Either way, its a Pakistan court issue. I am curious to see how this unfolds.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Musharraf is in London UK, the court is in Pakistan....

I'm fairly sure the UK and Pakistan does not have an extradition treaty as of yet. Pakistan still has capital punishment and that was a major issue last time I read anything about it.

So this warrant is about as much use as a used McDonalds wrapper right now unless Musharraf decides to return to Pakistan of his own free will or accidently finds him self in another country with such an arrangement with Pakistan.

The UK could always expel a non national tho - but not send him off in custody back to Pakistan.

If I'm wrong on any of the above please say! That's all off the top of my head.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That was the last I heard as well, but then I found this. Not sure about the credibility of the source though.

UK - Pakistan sign extradition

The article talks about convicted criminals how face the death penalty can be extradited. I know the EU countries have the provision saying they wont extradite if the person faces the death penalty, so I am wondering if this covers people tried in pakistan in abstentia, if they can do that.

Either way I am surprised, if this is true, that Britain - EU would be ok with that.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Interesting, exchange of convicted prisoners. - So he would have to be convicted in the UK and then sent over to Pakistan? Cos I suppose that would still make the Pakistani warrant fairly useless apart from maybe forming the basis for a UK arrest warrant to be issued and acted upon. They he could face charges, be convicted or not however the trial goes and then sent back... (But not to a death penalty)

Also Pakistan got INTERPOL membership in 1952 for what that's worth.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Pakistani Politics is and has always been brutally murderous and based on bad pennies that turn up again and again until they meet some kind of sinister or violent end.

From the explosion of the plane carrying Zia Al Haq in the 80's, before then, and through today, being ruler of Pakistan is like riding a wolf while holding on by the ears.

With the CIA long involved in it's political affairs, religious fundamentalists, familiar political dynasties (like the Buttos) an always warry and huge neighboring India it was once a part of, and progressives looking to move the country forward all jockying for control and a piece of the action, it's likely one of the planet's most dangerous and thankless jobs.

A person having served in that position always knows too much and because of Pakistan's place in the overall New World Order scheme of things, is always going to be existing on borrowed time.

Stay in school, don't become the head of Pakistan's military and under no circumstances become it's leader if you want to live to old age.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I dont think being a member of interpol will make a difference. All interpol does it help organize international arrest warrants. Pakistan doe there thing and issues a Pakistani arrest warrant for Mr. R. They forward that info to Interpol who adds the info to all member countries to flag the person. Essentially if Mr. R travels to another interpol member country his name is flagged in the system.

At any point where he has a run in with law enforcement (customs, etc) the hit shows up that he has an arrest warrant issued and that it is for world wide extradition. He gets held until the warrant is confirmed still active, and the 2 countries process for extradition goes from there.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

With the CIA long involved

Nothing is really what it seems,

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

When are they going to finalize the warrants for Bush and Cheney?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by burntheships

When are they going to finalize the warrants for Bush and Cheney?

There is no standing in court. They both have sovereign immunity from when they were in office. Cant sue the King. Its the same reason people have been unsuccessful in making the same claims agains Former PM Tony Blair.

new topics

top topics

join