learn more

The Best UFO Sighting App Ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hello ATSer,

I have an idea for a UFO Sightings App that I want to share with you all. I'm sharing it because I have zero intention of making it. I don't have the skill or the money to do it. I am sharing this with you because I would like to see it get made. I want no compensation in any form for this idea.

So here is the idea: Want to see a UFO? Yeah? Here is an app for that...

When someone with this app sees a UFO he/she must quickly open the app and hit the "Report A UFO Sighting In Progess" button. This would open a scroll menu that gives the witness different options that would help describe what is being seen. ie, saucer, glowing orbs, unknown aircraft, chemtrail, planet x...Once selected another scroll menu would pop up asking estimated altitude ie, 0-1000ft.,1000-10,000ft, 10,000ft-40,000ft., space...One last scroll menu would pop up asking the UFOs direction of travel ie, north, south, east, west, static. Once this info has been given the app switches over to the phones built in camera or video. The app will place an overlay or HUD that gives information on the screen and is recorded as the witness films the event. The information displayed would include direction/heading, time/date, inclination, as well as a timecode stamp to each frame of footage. When the witness stops recording, a button type option will appear asking "Do you wish to stop recording this sighting?" If "yes" is clicked a copy of the sighting is immediatley sent to the "UFOster (or whatever you name the app) Website."
Clicking "No" would bring back the phones camera. One last menu option would be "UFO Sighting Advise." This gives tips on what to do, how to film, what to show, and other info to best capture the UFO.

Here is what makes this App really cool. As soon as the UFO witness answers the three questions, after selecting the report button, an alert goes out IMMEDIATELY to ANYONE who has the app on their phone. So if you have the app you'd recieve a message that would say "ATTENTION! Glowing orbs have been reported __ miles from your location (amount of miles from you based on the witnesses location detected by the phones GPS) and is heading __ (the direction reported by the witness) at an altitude of __ (based on which option the witness choose). This message would then ask if you would like to open "UFOster?"(or whatever you name the app)

When you open the app from the alert message prompt it takes you straight to the phones camera/video with a different overlay or HUD. This HUD has all the same info as a original witness would have but with the addition of a small red arrow that points you in the direction of the reported event. This makes it easy for the directionally challeged to know where to look. Once you start recording you become a new witness and your footage is sent to the website once you stop. This will help stop CGI trickery to help limit hoaxing.

Safegaurds against hoaxing should include limiting the distrobution of the app to people 17 years of age and older. A user rating system and "report hoax/bogus alert" option should be included in the app. Users who have been reported as hoaxers will not have their reports distributed.

Customization options should allow the user to decide the radius of sighting alerts. For example, someone may choose to only recieve alerts within a 30 mile radius. App users may also report a sighting that is no longer in progress in which alerts are not sent out to the app community. The option to be alerted of only specific types of UFOs should be available as well.

The purpose of this app is to gather more witness, more footage, and more camera angles of UFO events. This would greatly increase the chances of putting to rest the age old question, are we alone? Imagine, if a UFO sighting happened in Los Angeles, seen by a witness with this app and we had a few thousand people with it on their phones in the area. Imagine the footage you might get! Imagine the traffic to your website when everyone comes to see the collection from the event.

Thanks for reading. I hope someone out there makes this!

Best of luck,

Quantum D.

edit on 12-2-2011 by QuantumDisciple because: Title
edit on 12-2-2011 by QuantumDisciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

Good ideas. Actually, something like that might show up in a year or so. Funding is needed, but it is being planned. Funds could happen for that next year.

ZG

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

I really hope so! Yeah, a bunch of cell phone video may not be the most conclusive evidence but it doesn't mean people have to use their cell phone to capture a event. If I got a alert message I would try and grab my good camera first. It would be awesome to have a few cellphone vids to corroborate it.

This would take a good amount of funding indeed, both for development and marketing. One well captured event could pay for it all though. Espcially if you retain the rights to the submitted footage somehow. Make it a free app and make money off the website attached to it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

Who is planning it?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I posted your idea here:

forum.xda-developers.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

Wow, thank you very much. I hope they are interested.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I also would like to suggest that each UFO sighting should be grouped and the ability to discuss each sighting should be added. So for example if you report a UFO sighting and then it appears on the map and then you see other reports, you can then link your sighting with others. Discussions always help to build the experience of the event, and grouping the sighting will help the witnesses make a clearer picture of what has happened. Discussions could be threaded and/or they could be vote based. Where by people can vote on the features of the UFO sighting. The features with the most votes would be listed first. I think it would be also a great idea to also group each sighting in to a separate page. There witnesses can corroborate, all the pictures/videos can viewed in one place, and the discussion and feature voting could easily take place. We can also add an eBay like reputation system, where we can flag users who post "legitimate" sightings and down-vote users who post junk. Clicking on a users ID should also bring up his sighting history. The app would also benefit from map filters...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

I totally agree. I think a website should be attached to the app that allow forums, maps, archives, recent activity. The key is to make it a free app but you need a way to make money off it some other way. I think it would serve as great tool to Ufology.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Excellent ideas - I for one would purchase an app like this for around £2.99 UK money. ($5 US..??) That would be money well spent in my book...

You would need a good marketing drive/ targeted advertising of forums like ATS to make sure plenty of people bought into it...

Perhaps also include a real-time tracker on a Google-Earth globe showing where people with the app are located, with phone switched on..? That way there's an incentive for the people using the app to 'pimp it' to their mates who are located in areas where there are no current users; all in all, leading to a better 'networked coverage' and enhanced potential for capturing sightings / reports in all locations...

A great idea - and if I were you, I'd have made further enquiries about raising funds for such a project before sharing it on the www... But kudos for spreading the wealth! You could have a future in software development - make some enquiries!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

I think the key is to make it free so lots of people get it. Some slick viral marketing plan would work too. I just don't know where to begin to make something like this. If someone decided to make it and get millions doing it perhaps their conscience will compel them to seek me out a give a token of appreciation. Or maybe offer me a job because I have a ton of app ideas.

In all honesty I just want to see a damn UFO!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by realitydiscovered

It looks pretty cool but I'm talking about something quite different. A mobile phone application that helps get more witnesses to see a UFO sighting.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
There is a mobile variant already of www.latest-ufo-sightings.net
www.latest-ufo-sightings.com and they are connected with a large
group of UFO enthusiasts on Facebook, I don't see what more can
be done.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Stay tuned

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What about the 99.99% of reports that are by fools, idiots, jokers and kids that have nothing to do with real UFO reports? Do you doubt that the vast majority will be worthless, making the entire project not very worthwhile? Have you ever searched YouTube for UFO videos and seen all the fakes and jokes on there? Nice try but I don't think it would be very practical.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
OP, I like a lot of the ideas for the options you've mentioned. But I think a good UFO app should start filming automatically when you open it. Usually when you have something like a UFO or any sort of anomaly, the most important factor is time and it's annoying having to press a bunch of buttons to finally get it to start recording. So, it should start filming by itself upon opening. Then while it's filming you could change the settings around based on distance, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think it will great to develop this program on different mobile systems ... like Apple, Android, Nokia OS, and other systems that are known... so all people can used it ... but very good idea

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Good idea, and even better if you can set it to only show local reports (but have the option to expand your search worldwide). Obviously there are already things like this in development - but with the right money, anyone could have this made for them. It could make a good kickstarter project, so people can donate to its development, and then say get it free if they've donated 10 dollars or more etc. Anyway, whatever happens, best of luck. Guess I should get an iphone

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

Yes, you are going to get false reports. You can put a rating system in place like ebay uses. Even if there is a false report, how hard is it to look up in the sky?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by realitydiscovered

I have the apps and they are nothing like what I just described.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join