It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to put the poor in the cold! But we will spend Billions on Foreign Aid.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
What is Obama thinking? Shut his heat off in the winter and see if he likes it! I cannot believe he is wanting to do this. Some people need the help.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- President Obama's 2012 budget will propose cutting $2.5 billion from a program that helps low-income people cope with high energy costs in the cold of winter and heat of summer, according to a source familiar with the budget process. The administration is quick to point out that the reduction will bring the funding down to $2.57 billion, which is exactly the same as the fiscal year 2008 level.

Before becoming law, the proposal will have to survive a marathon budget process, but Republicans are also calling for cuts to the program, a fact that increases the likelihood of passage.

Spending crunch ahead
It's hard to say exactly how many people would be affected by the reduction in funding.

Before the White House plans, first reported by National Journal, leaked to the press, a coalition of Democrats on Capitol Hill led by Rep. Ed Markey of Massachusetts defended the program.

The program currently only serves one of every five eligible people, and a reduction would have dire consequences for those already receiving benefits, Markey said.

"Returning to 2008 funding levels ... would mean forcing 3.1 million families nationwide to return to deciding between heating and eating," Markey said.

In Massachusetts, Markey said the program will help 250,000 residents this year. The state received $175 million in 2010.

Obama's cuts: Real deal or dud?
Markey's estimate of the impact of the proposed cut is in line with one produced by the American Gas Association, an industry group that represents natural gas companies. Based on data collected from state governments, the group predicts 3.2 million households, and 9 million individuals, will be affected by the administration's proposal.

States with extreme weather and high poverty levels would be hit hardest. In 2010, New York received $479 million, the largest amount of aid. Pennsylvania received $282 million, while Michigan and Illinois both got $233 million.

In all, 15 states received in excess of $100 million.

Members of Congress from those states are sure to fight the cuts. On Friday, a bipartisan group of 31 senators wrote to Obama's budget officials urging them to reconsider.

"To cut this critical funding during one of the coldest winters in recent memory would not only be devastating for the individuals who rely on LIHEAP to keep their families safe and warm, but would serve as a threat to our national economic recovery," wrote Democratic Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island, who was joined by Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine.

Link to the full story here
edit on 12-2-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Obama has caved in to the anti-human republicans in order to get re-elected in 2012.

He wasn’t that good in the first place as he caved in on the public option, Bush’s human rights abuses he accepted, and many other issues he has turned out to be terrible.

But as bad as he is anything is better than a republican conservative.

Lesser of two evils

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Obama has caved in to the anti-human republicans in order to get re-elected in 2012.

He wasn’t that good in the first place as he caved in on the public option, Bush’s human rights abuses he accepted, and many other issues he has turned out to be terrible.

Lesser of two evils

I agree but he is wanting to do something soo terrible to the people its something I hope is never allowed to happen. I cant believe people are sitting by allowing this proposal without a thing to say about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Same thing is happening in the UK. Our Government is scrapping our Aircraft Carrier and cutting back on the Air-Force while ring-fencing Overseas Aid and even increasing it. Total madness. Or a hidden agenda.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Well, if you believe all the conspiracy theorists - who are sure TPTB are going to do 'something' to 'cull' the population - maybe that money will be just enough to keep all the poor warm and snug, or cool and breezy as the case maybe?

Wait, I thought they were going to 'cull' the poor...

Hmmm....

And yeah, Obama is a complete FAIL. But, it's not like it's his fault - he's a puppet - nothing more. The 'whipping boy' of old.

peace

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal

Lesser of two evils

LOL, same as your thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Obama—the coward and wimp—afraid for his re-election has chosen to pander to the lunatic anti-human conservative republicans and the stupid American people who have fallen for the cut the budget scam.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
People complain about paying too much taxes but they do not want less from the government. Less government and less taxes go hand in hand. It is still budgeted for $2.57 billion. That's still way to much in my opinion. People barely able to make ends meet will have it easier when the government quits spending so much of our money. It should not be governments place to make sure that grandma Smith can run her heater at 95 degrees and not have to worry about paying her bill.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Here is a great idea.

Let's spend billions on space exploration, wars and foreign aid!

And let's let our own country die!

Great! My presidential platform.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by exroyalnavy

Sounds like you have the same thing happening too just in a slightly different way.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Well, if you believe all the conspiracy theorists - who are sure TPTB are going to do 'something' to 'cull' the population - maybe that money will be just enough to keep all the poor warm and snug, or cool and breezy as the case maybe?

Wait, I thought they were going to 'cull' the poor...

Hmmm....

And yeah, Obama is a complete FAIL. But, it's not like it's his fault - he's a puppet - nothing more. The 'whipping boy' of old.

peace

Well they were trying for a little bit to help the poor then all of a sudden they changed their minds. With all of the people out of jobs more and more people are needing assistance. But there is no new jobs in sight so I guess if you have no money you cant start a new business. Obama bailed out all these banks and now the banks have made it extremely difficult to get a loan so they apparently want to hang onto whatever money they have. There are about 1000 areas they could cut the budget to help the people not the rich but the poor get back on their feet. But we know that wont happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Thats the truth right there!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Hi, sugar!

You and I seem to see eye to eye.

OK, so the next thing the presidential candidate says is "Oh, eff, there are no people left!"

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

LOL thats so true thanks for the reply!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Hi sugar,

I am so glad about what I did for you - have great life!

Lotsa love

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

You to catwhoknowsplusone and thanks for your reply

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Hi sugar,

Thanks.

Have a great life with Jesus.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I don't really see government paid heating and AC a right, but at the same time if we have millions to spend on foreign aid, we should also be able to help out our own citizens who are of little means.

I just don't see the logic. If you can't afford to put food on the table in your household, you don't give away food to the food bank do you?

Although this is nothing new, and nothing that makes Obama specifically suspect, as foreign needs have evidently been more important to the US government than domestic needs for quite some time.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Just seems like foreign aid comes before our own citizens there has to be away to cut back..Obama is a complete fail he said he was going to help with getting us back on our feet and were just getting poorer no jobs the the price of gas keeps getting higher and don't forget our groceries that's also out of control..next thing ya know the poor will be living in the parks in brown boxes with no heat but i just don't think he cares..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Oh I agree 100% I personally think we should stop all foreign aid immediately. When there is not one single starving, freezing, or suffering American than we can look beyond our borders. Also agree on Obama being a failure, but as far as foreign aid he just seems to be maintaining the status quo.

That's why, even though I disagree with many of his policies, I would much rather see Ron Paul in the white house than anybody else. I'd bet anything our economy would improve immensely.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

In the UK we are actually borrowing the money to give in increased Foreign Aid! If these foreign countries need the money, why can`t they borrow it, not us?

I tell you, it gets madder by the minute.

We are presently building an Aircraft Carrier. It will be finished in a year or so. But here`s the catch: We wont have any aircraft to fly off it until 2020. And we have just scrapped our Harrier jets. You know, the ones that the USMC think so highly of. And our long-range Maritime reconnaisance Nimrod jets too. These had just been up-dated at a cost of millions and they have been cut into pieces and sent for scrap. This at a time when oil is being discovered in ther Falklands and Argentina is looking in that direction again.

But our Foreign Aid is increasing so that is OK

We are being "governed" by madmen!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join