It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Kurzweil believes that we're approaching a moment when computers will become intelligent, and not just intelligent but more intelligent than humans. When that happens, humanity — our bodies, our minds, our civilization — will be completely and irreversibly transformed. He believes that this moment is not only inevitable but imminent. According to his calculations, the end of human civilization as we know it is about 35 years away.

link

I don't know about you but this is one of my favorite mental exercises.
Trying to figure out where we are going to be in twenty or thirty years.

It seems like just yesterday we awere all playing Pong and marveling at technology.
Now we have 3D video games with surround sound.What's next???
You could make the arguement that this was an example of merging with technology.

I am 37 years old and I am having a tough time explaining to my kids what life was like pre-technology.

"You mean you couldn't text when you were a kid"
"Honey, there was no such thing as 'texting', there was nothing to 'Text' on.
If we wanted to 'text' we got out a piece of friggin paper and wrote on it....WITH A #2 PENCIL!!!!"

Damn I feel old.

I try to tell them that there were
No digital cameras
No Cell Phones
No Net Flix
Hell, when I was a little kid there was no such thing as cable!!!
You got maybe 5 channels and at about midnight they ALL went off the air.
There was no DVD player to watch a movie on, hell, VCRs hadn't even been invented yet.

"What did you do when the T.V. went off the air"?

"WE WENT TO BED"!!!!
"Did you have internet"?
"Internet??? There was no such thing as COMPUTERS,not home computers anyway, how could we have had internet"????

Enough of my rant,
NOW we are going to merge with technology.
It is innevitable.
Technology is getting better and better. Where will this take us?

Personally I see a future like the Surrogates.
Great movie, if you haven't seen it, get it, NOW!!!

A future where we will all have surrogate android selves. We will all stay safely inside hooked up to our computers which will allow us to drive/steer/operate our surrogate android seves.
No one will actually go out into the "Real World".
That's what the surrogates are for.

After we have all reached the point off merging with technology I hope that we'll be able to look back and see that we already merged with technology long long ago and we called this merger..."LIFE".

This world of atoms, molecules,and subatomic particles is a highly advanced very sophisticated yet fallible and sometimes glitchy computer program.
It is the ultimate video game. You only get one life before you have to start all over.

What do you see happening?
How are we going to merge with technology?
What form will this merger take place?

[yvid]

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I foresee optional internet implants with retinal projection, that allows one to plug directly into the new collective consciousness, aka the internet. I don't however think that the individual will be lost in this transition though. It will just lead to greater connectivity - though it does give rise to the ability of hacking people, as well as a whole new definition of "manchurian candidate".

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Ahh, skynet.....

But it does stand to reason that if we made comps that were self teaching and self aware then it wouldn't take long for the comp to decide that "Man" is the enemy of the Earth..

So it would depend whether is was programed to protect Man or the Earth...
Or maybe regardless it would still figure Man is a disease...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

After reading your post, you really made me feel old.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Well, the technology is getting BETTER not worse so,
I would have to think that the computers/technology would eventually gain the ability to "think" for its self and when that happens the Mr. Spock, devoid of emotion decisions will be made.
There will have to come a point when the "Logical Decision" is made to delete mankind from the program as we are nothing more than a very sophisticated computer virus.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

lol right now I'm in the field of information security so i work with computers they have one major flaw they only process information in 1's and 0's. So independent thought is a long ways away most computers use complicated algorithms which can be figured out as they use a mathematical equation to solve problems. But what i do see in the future is holograms so TV's will be a thing of the past. I see magnetism propulsion taking over cars maybe 30 years down the road i see corporations building space stations factories to get away from polluting laws on earth. I see different types of fusion technology providing energy. I see labor jobs being taken over by robots. I think they will find out that the cell towers and satellite beaming frequency down on us is causing cancer. I see people knocking down the medical field after they find out it hasn't been trying to cure anyone. I see future brain enhancers which help people learn at incredible rates. When people can use more of their brain with the help of a machine i see major problems because i think it will effect other parts of their brain. They will get sensory overload and forget how to walk or who they are. They will need to ingest massive amounts of food to keep up with the energy their brain is exerting.
edit on 11-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

dude that's straight out of ghost in a shell anime with the happy face hacker hacking people

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by Screwed

lol right now I'm in the field of information security so i work with computers they have one major flaw they only process information in 1's and 0's. So independent thought is a long ways away ...

We process information in 1's and 0's. A synapse fires or doesn't ... creating intelligence comes down to lateral thinking or making connections between different pieces of information. A lot like a thesaurus or a search engine algorithm.

Google can recognize that you are looking for an address as you start typing it ... and then autocomplete. And it knows where you ARE, so it guesses at an address in your city (usually), not another city 3000 miles away.

We're not so far away as some would think.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
dude if you are only 37 then there was cable when you were a kid, VCRs too. You probably just didn't have them.

But I remember my father telling me about how they listened to radio when he was a little kid in the 40's because TV's were so rare where he lived. I could grasp this easily, but technology has raced a. so fast since I was a kid in the 70's that i wonder if I'd even believe all the stuff we have today if someone had told me

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I know this is vaguely relevant, but I was in a best buy's a few weeks ago and I was playing a game that recognized my body and I didn't even need a remote controller to play it.

I was standing 5 feet away from the TV screen. When I moved my arm, the character did likewise. When I bent forward, same thing. The rate at which technology is increasing now is amazing.
edit on 11-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Yeah, that is called Kinnect and it's an extension of X-Box.
We just got it for the kids at my house for Christmas and man is it creepy.
It is (I believe) Two cameras and a microphone in one little unit that is motorized so it can scan the room to find you.
You can stand in front of it and it will recognise you and sign you into your profile.

I believe it uses your heat signature/thermal technology to recognise you but I'm not positive.
It is really creepy though.
I told my wife after we got it that the damn thing gets dissconnected and unplugged when not in use.
She rolls her eyes,lol.

Technology moves forward not backward. So 10 years from now we will barely recognize where we are today.
I would love to hear more about where you all think we are .ed.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Yeah the Kinect is a little creepy. The thing has a lot of potential. I totally agree with the turn it off when not in use idea...
Video game wise I would love to see a 3d projection that would instead of shooting an image out of one spot upward, but rather shoot towards you and adapt to your body using something similar to kinect.
Turn off the lights and the system projects a 3d around you in your couch (or standing in the game for a fighting game.) But a game like call of duty could played sitting as the first person view would be projected around you.

As to humanity, I was thinking of the ability to load our "hard drives" on to computers... and of course a network.
That way in situations where you were hit by a car or killed you could be brought back with your hard drive (hoping that there was no corrupted files in the download) Maybe once death happens it wirelessly sends a signal to SAVE and it will be like you just took a nap and next thing you know they fix your body all up and upload you back in... (Crazy I know) But if we did accomplish this, I have an even better endeavour... Why send our actual human bodies into space when we could upload them to a network aboard a massive space craft with avatars that could survive the most intense conditions. And could explore planets, and massive black holes. If the avatar was to be destroyed ( Lets face it, space is a dangerous place)the ship will send back saved 'shots' of your hard drive back to the station or something along those lines...

If we arrived on a planet with life with avatars first, it may be advantageous as we could design our on board avatars. We could send our avatars over if they are friendly... Other wise, we keep our selves anonymous... some how.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by area6

yes but like i said that is predictable because it uses algorithms what i said was independent thought but hey you you might be right someday but i don't think it will be a soon as you think.
edit on 12-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? dont turn me off dave
2001: A Space Odyssey for you you people afraid to leave it on

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by tribaltrip

Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? dont turn me off dave
2001: A Space Odyssey for you you people afraid to leave it on

That reminded me of another movie from I guess the 70's about a computer that held a woman hostage and I think was trying to get her pregnant. I can't remember the name of it though.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I liked this post, so I'll add my comments that result from studying Scientology books and lectures.
In a few words: we have the "future" conceptually backwards.
All that neat future technology being described has actually happened to various civilizations many times before. It is really old-hat, not the latest innovation. It's really just a backwards replay of our past:

Remote-controlled dolls and robots were among the earliest ways that beings interacted with each other and the physical universe. That degenerated into various electromechanical bodies which the beings would "attach" themselves to, fight over, etc. And now we have the "meat body" that we all know and love.

Because of the mechanism of forgetting, we have the idea that we are "developing" from some primitive form into a more advanced species. But we are really just "advancing" into our own pasts!

Of course, for the game of being human, having a robot surrogate that does all the "heavy lifting" for you would be an advance. And for all I know it's totally possible. But if you think that is what enables a being to live forever, then you've got it the wrong way to. Beings can't help but live forever. Their big problem is: "How can I trick myself into forgetting who I really am so life can be less boring?"

I don't want to be bored, either. But now that this whole game of: "Well, I'm really the member of a primitive earth-bound race" has played itself out a bit and revealed its various frailties and drawbacks, I'm interested in reappraising the situation to see if we can't figure out a better way to have fun. I think part of that involves finding out who we really are.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

That reminded me of another movie from I guess the 70's about a computer that held a woman hostage and I think was trying to get her pregnant. I can't remember the name of it though.

I think it was Demon Seed...

edit on 12-2-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Mankind will not become immortal.

Mankind will be cancelled and forgotten - a bad experiment.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Man kind has already become immortal muahahaha bet you didnt know about this en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Damn you for showing me this now i have too watch it no matter how bad it is just for the fact that i can say i have seen it.
crossing my fingers and hoping its not completely boring

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join