It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding Anonymous and 4chan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Greetings my fellow ATS users.

I would like to take the time to clear some things up for my fellow board members, regarding Anonymous (the "group") and 4chan, the image board.

Firstly, may I start by making it blatantly clear that "Anonymous" is as loosely connected to 4chan as it is to Wikileaks.

Just because someone who belongs to the online collective of Anonymous browses 4chan, but whom also hones a very specific set of skills and holds a individual political viewpoint, does not mean that they promote 4chan, or receive ANY influence FROM 4chan - in fact, it's quite the opposite. Anonymous uses 4chan, 4chan does not use Anonymous.

Also, I see a plethora of people who have obviously came from 4chan to ATS, they probably discovered this forum through 4chan's /x/ image board or something of the likes.

Let me make this BLATANTLY clear to you, and you know who I am talking about.

This forum is not 4chan. Please do not spout your memes around here. It makes people think you are stupid.

And, if you're running around here thinking that by you being a poster on 4chan that you're somehow part of the politically inclined Anonymous, you are not. And chances are you never will be.

What you can do to help the Anonymous group who has been exploiting corruption as of late, is be an activist. Write letters to your local government, write letters to the federal government, go out and picket on the street - It's a great way to meet people and I've done it myself. Also, don't run around with a V for Vendetta mask on if you do go out and picket, that just makes you look like a retard(although legally you are perfectly welcome to in the US).

Anonymous doesn't want you to support them by saying "OH HELL YEAH ANONYMOUS DID THIS OR ANONYMOUS DID THAT", Anonymous wants you to be active, because the more people who are active the better your chance of making a change in this world.

And, just to clear up a few things for the skeptics and haters of Anonymous(the politically active sect), please stop saying they're a bunch of script kiddies, etc. it's absolutely belligerent and unfounded. You obviously know not a damn thing about how computers work, how social engineering works and how Anonymous(the politically active) works.

In closing, I leave you with this:

Do something to make a difference, and you are supporting the Anonymous Legion.

For those of you who think Anonymous are script kiddies
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-2-2011 by Revolution-2012 because: (no reason given)

Related:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-2-2011 by Revolution-2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
At least someone took the time to try and explain it to the masses. thanks for that. I was really getting riled up in the egypt thread by people misunderstanding the entire idea of what anonymous is.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I see what you did there! herp derp lurk moar longcat is long

am i doing it right

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

This forum is not 4chan. Please do not spout your memes around here. It makes people think you are stupid.

In that case we had better ban humor altogether on ATS, I mean, if one version isn't allowed why allow any of them?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

It's a common misconception that Anonymous are a bunch of basement-dwelling nerds who have no life and don't understand politics.

Anonymous is quite literally anyone and everyone should they choose to be. People need to take into consideration that if one has the ability to make carefully constructed videos that look as professional as they are, that person more than likely is well educated and has a fundamental understanding of what is going on in the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

so i herd u liek mudkips but didn't even as far as to go to when they but i am a bear?

Get the point?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by dalan.

so i herd u liek mudkips but didn't even as far as to go to when they but i am a bear?

Get the point?

cool story bro'.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Also "Anonymous" is not just an online activist group. "Anonymous" is everyone, and can therefore be aligned with any political agenda. That includes all of /b/'s raids, or anyone who frequents 4chan.

I could start an anonymous youtube video asking as many people as possible to oppose democracy and support ddos attacks against Wikileaks.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

You're absolutely correct, if you noted in my original post, that I make it clear that I am referring to the certain branch of Anonymous that is opposed to disinformation and corruption.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by dalan.

You're absolutely correct, if you noted in my original post, that I make it clear that I am referring to the certain branch of Anonymous that is opposed to disinformation and corruption.

Ok, it just seemed like you were bashing 4chan, and no matter how childish anyone may think 4chan is it still serves its purpose. If not for anything else at least humor and entertainment. I've always felt that the people who dislike 4chan are pompous anyway.

And internet memes are not exclusively reserved for 4chan, yes many have started there, but they do have a way of getting around...hence them being internet memes. I wouldn't worry too much about seeing them here, if they are off-topic or against the T&C a mod will take care of it.

maybe worry about trolling.

maybe.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I see what you did there! herp derp lurk moar longcat is long

am i doing it right

tl;dr

Oh wait...

I agree with the OP..

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Haha

I have no problems with memes, but I see people abusing them on this forum and this is a place for intellectual discussion and 9/10 times you're not going to get any lulz from posting memes on this board, unless you enjoy trolling yourself.

That's why I ask that people kind of cut back on the use of them, around here. The T&C even says to make use of statements such as LOL and ROFL lightly, I'd assume it's the same with memes.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
While I applaud your obvious allegiance to Anonymous I must still unfortunately stick to my Anti-Anonymous sentiments. I do not see how they have done any good for anyone. All they have done is proven they can run a Denial of Service on a website. This is something that even my 10 yr old Niece could do with the proper software so sorry but no big feat there. If anonymous wants to impress me let them break into a server like I don't know the CIA and get some good info then I would be impressed. Until then I must maintain that they are nothing but a nuance that will soon fade away like every other nuance in the universe. I recently read that they had been infiltrated so it makes me wonder if they are going down soon anyway.

I would like to point out that I do enjoy the concept of ensuring freedom of speech, but honestly they have censored freedom of speech as well, and they are gradually becoming as hypocritical as the US government.
edit on 2/11/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I am anonymous..Not to be confused with your anonymous op..Although I Have great respect for your anonymous..

edit on 11-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hello I'm 12 and I approve of this thread

What riles me up personally is MSM implying that anonymous is some highly organised hacker group.
At least here in Belgium anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

how ironic, straight from ATS front page:
abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Another poster beat me to it, but yeah...

You know what's impotent about your statement? You clearly don't even know what a DoS attack is in comparison to a DDoS - they are extraordinarily different.

I suggest you do your research on the subject matter before propagating non-sense about something you clearly have no understanding about.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

I frequent certain image boards with certain qualities that inherently boast massive lulz.

But for the obvious /b/tards and such, I beg the question - Is there not a set of rules for you?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
DOS = Denial of Service

DDOS = Distributed Denial of Service

Both can be easily run with programs easily obtained via numerous hacking sites. Almost as commonly acquired as programs such yahoo booter programs, aim booters, blue screening programs etc.

I know a lot more about it then you may think, but I am not out to prove myself unlike Anonymous seems to be doing on a grand scale especially on ATS as of late. I think there are about 10 threads on ATS at the moment over the last month all about Anonymous and how great or bad they are. It would seem they are on a all out support campaign as of late.

These are my opinions just like your opinions are your opinions but then again that is what Anonymous is all about Freedom of Speech.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

U mad?

All I gots to say about that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join