It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel like Having to Work is un-natural?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

No it;s not, it's punishment. God said you earn the sweat of your brow. You till the Earth in anguish. He did not make it natural, because punishment is not natural.

Also, If you do what you love you don't really hate it and it's not that unnatural. It can be fun.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Many erroneously assume that the feudal system ended centuries ago and that there are no longer serfs and vassals however such an assumption couldn't be further from the truth. A primary example is the ownership of property - in other words, you don't own any! Nobody holds Allodial Title to anything, instead we hold Fee Simple Title which essentially means we don't actually own it, we own the permission to use it in exchange for ongoing fees and services to the holder of the true title. Sounds a bit like the Feudal System, yes? That would be because it is!

You see, marketing is a centuries old art mastered by royalty to keep the "Simple people" in the dark about the true system in which we voluntarily participate. When a group of people rise up against tyranny, the tyrants simple change the name of the system and the methods which they administer it. Simple look at "The United States of America". It is a corporation held in trust by a larger corporation known as the "British Crown". Each of the 50 states are corporate subsidiaries to the Federal Government with each county and municipalities being subsidiaries held in trust by each state. All of this is administered under maritime law, which is conveniently recognized as Uniform Commercial Code in the case of the United States. Common Law, rooted in the Magna Carta, runs parallel to Maritime Law but we unknowingly subjugate ourselves to the latter by "Contracting" with the corporations which in effect nullifies our protections under Common Law.

Without prattling on too deeply into the weeds on the subject I will simply state that the reason you feel that your "Work" is unnatural is because it is. "Work" to a truly free human is a mechanism so that one might enjoy the fruits or benefits of one's labor. However, the fruits and benefits of your labor benefit the lords and corporations before you get your "Share". In Feudal times, this was share-cropping and the laborers were serfs or vassals with a high percentage of the product of their labor going to the Lord or the Crown. Make sense?

So you see, the system hasn't changed for thousands of years. Only the names and methods of enforcing such a system has changed by using clever marketing strategies to fool the people into offering voluntary servitude into the system. Those who feel that the system is just or fair are either a.) Modern Lords or b.) too mired in the propaganda to undestand what has become of them.

I hope this helps you beter understand your recent awakening.

The only difference is.....slaves in those days were fed and were given their room and board. We have to feed ourselves AND get our own room and board while they constantly steal from us and our children.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thank you very much for all your replies!!

I am glad that you have also taken notice of this un-natural way of being.

I would like to add something, this new job that I started? Well it deals with helping people who have over due taxes to the IRS.

You would not beleive the stories I hear.

For example: One man is retired and over 65, and the IRS started to garnish his social security/pension! This poor man had to find a job on a car lot, AFTER A LIFETIME OF WORKING, in order to be able to survive AND pay the IRS.

Another person, I called him while he was undergoing cancer treatment, he said thank you for calling, I really need to pay this debt off, because they have started garnishing my salary, and I need money for cancer treatment or I will die.

DO YOU SEE WHATS HAPPENING PEOPLE?

My heart aches when I hear a 70 yr old man has to work 2 jobs as a cashier, because the IRS has decided he needs to pay back his taxes involuntarily!

I dont know any of these people, but just listening to them on the phone makes my heart bleed as a fellow human being.

--GeminiSky
edit on 12-2-2011 by GeminiSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You know what sucks??? When your post is the last post on a page of a fast moving thread and it doesn't get read. All last posts should, as a result, be repeated as the first post on the subsequent page so as to not get buried. For thos interested, the last post on page 6, in my opinion, is EXACTLY what has happened to us a "Working people". I'm hopeful some of you take the time to read it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I have taken the time to read every single reply here. Please see my post above, in regards to my job.

--GS

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
OP I applaud you, TERRIFIC THREAD, and YES it is very unnatural.... you are 120% correct. I think the big point people are missing here, and what you are missing in your explanation, isn't that you mind working... it's that you mind working for someone else. Especially when you realize how much you are making for the company, and your time is only compensated as a percentage of what you actually produce, where as if you work for yourself (which is what living off the land is) all profits go to you and your family. Not to some greedy fat cat sitting behind a desk scheming on how to screw more people out of more money. We live in a consumerist economy, and nobody takes the time to look and see that most jobs are made up of a bunch of middle men, that drive the cost of everything up! Every day, we all have to screw each other to make it another day. When you step back and see how it is all working, it's really sad, because we could do so much more. Mankind is going in the wrong direction, because we aren't setting goals for people to achieve. It's 'get the newest hottest car' 'get the newest hottest phone' and clothes and house, and TV's... on and on... but ummm... when do you really get the time to enjoy all these fruits of labor? The GOLDEN YEARS? LoL I'm only 30 and I already feel my health is on the decline... what will I feel like doing by the time I'm 65? What a joke. 1 vacation a year? LoL People think it was always this way, because this is what they are used to. See how many people say they don't mind working? They have all been brainwashed into believing their time is worth a dollar amount. I can prove this whole point here too.... Let's say I offer you a job making $25 an hour... pretty good pay, right? Well... the thing is, I require you to work 60 hours a week, and you will be paid overtime, full benefits etc.... Sound good? Okay... you find out you have 1 week left to live... will you work that job? No??? Okay, you have 1 month left to live, will you work for me then? What if you have 6 months left to live? A year? 10 years? YOUR TIME IS PRICELESS. Look at these poor guys making minimum wage or less most or all of their lives... and that's what they die doing... their time was only worth $7 an hour? This is actually a deep topic that just illustrates yet another symptom of the true problems at hand. We need to set an ultimate goal for mankind, and put steps in place to get to it, and all people work towards that goal. We all want the same thing -HAPPINESS. Nobody will find true happiness in slavery. Take care OP. Great thread.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I too have been having the same feelings. Don't get me wrong I understand that we all need to do our part when it comes to maintaining our way of life as Americans (or wherever your from). But at a certain point something has to happen to regain simple rights as employees. I feel if something was done to at least make the workplace a halfway enjoyable place to be then these thoughts of how terrible it is might be eliminated. I personally work at a car dealership. I don't sell cars, I am a "lot manager" so they put it. I maintain the cars on the lot, make sure their clean, organized and have the correct stickers on the car. The rest of my job is complete nonsense. I consider myself somebodies bitch in the long run. "Hey go get me some redbulls, hey go get me some food, run this to the other store, grab me some smokes" Granted these are orders being given to me by managers so I have to do them but these guys are paid 7 to 12 thousand a month to sit at a desk type numbers into a calculator (basically) write some info on a paper and work a car deal that is probably screwing the customer out of money. When not working a car deal they smoke, tell stories read the news and get on facebook. Now I personally get paid 11$/hour. Not bad for my line of work but I could do better. Mind you that when somebody new starts at this job, they get 8/hour. I consider the lot techs and myself the underlying roots that hold the car dealership up. We work the hardest- constantly picking up after salespeople/management. Wether its their trash, or inability to park a car neat and organized looking or dealing with ALL the stupid little crap that comes up in a day. We are the ones who do the gritty # in that place day in and day out. Do we get treated like heros for taking care of their problems. NO we get knocked down, talked down to, made to be looked at like fools. But by golly when one of us calls in sick management gets angry that they wont have anybody to do their dirty work so we look like the worst person in the world. In a matter of an hour rumors fly "oh he's not really sick" or " what a lazy bum, cant even show up to do the job" even if your really sick- puking blood, coughing terribly or even dying, your job is put into jeopardy because of some lazy fool. It disgusts me that one day I could meet somebody and we would talk like normal human beings. But the next day that same person becomes my boss or manager and immediately gets to tell me what to do like he's a brand new slave owner. Now when I get done slaving to this new boss and stop to have a smoke or cup of coffee or sit down for five minutes (the only time i sit is when Im in a car) then they blow up like you've done nothing all day or need to have your head down for every second of that 8 hour day and never look up. Now I know I may be back and forth or all over the place when telling this story of where I work but my point is to show how crappy people are treated in the workplace if your not management of some sort. People love power and when they get it they want to use it. So of course a new manager wants to go tell somebody what to do (we get new managers all the time). How can I be happy to come to work when I know I'll be treated like #, looked down upon, get my job threatened, be told what to do like im a slave worker. I've never been once told good job (not because I dont do a good job but because that would be wwaaaayyy to hard for somebody to ever admit because you would feel way to good about yourself. When truthfully they want you scared for your job so you will work harder.)
My point being is that if you were treated better in the workplace, noticed for your hard work and dedication and given the opportunity to enjoy at least some part of your life before your retired and too old to do half the things you wanted to do the maybe it wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to work all day. Yes being self sufficient is hard work. To live the way the early pioneers did - growing food, maintaining livestock, building a home for your family - its for sure hard work. But your doing it for YOUR OWN WELL BEING! I would take much more enjoyment/satisfaction doing these things knowing I'm doing it for myself and for my family than doing it for a corporation of rich thieves who pay to get their lawns mowed or their house cleaned or go out to dinner every night because they dont know how to cook. Knowing somebody isnt trying to grade you or doesnt like you and is trying to get you fired would totally make me the happiest person in the world. Work is a conspiracy in itself. What we get paid to do as employees of these huge corporations in comparison to the work that we do and the hell we take to get it done does not make sense. The core of America is falling apart because of our jobs! We cant see families in other states because we cant afford it. We cant go out to dinner a couple more times than we would like because we cant afford it. We cant buy nice gifts for our friends and families because we cant afford it. God I could go all day on this!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I certainly once related to how you feel, and my family did too. Our solution was to get back to the land as my mother had once lived, just as she had grown up on a farm.

We live together on about 40 acres of land, all nine of us, each with our own strengths and weaknesses. One of us loves mechanics, another sewing, another carpentry, another cooking—we all have many talents and interests to help each other. When we need something or have a problem we know who to go to and help each other out without question.

The nearest town is over 20 km away, with an urban population of 2000. All our water comes from a well, and all our poop goes out into a lagoon. My only option for internet here is dial-up, which people find ironic 'cause I'm still quite the geek. We live just a kilometre from where the paved road ends. It's remote, but not too remote.

Come this spring, my brother and I are going to till another field and plant wheat. We already bake our own bread and grow a variety of food: tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, and many more. We also raise chickens and turkeys too. But with the nine of us we still buy quite a lot of food from the farmers' market and the grocery store.

Complete self-sufficiency is difficult, so community is important. Some of us still work for money but only as entrepreneurs. My sister in-law once ran a small restaurant by herself and my brother is selling firewood right now. My stepfather and mother run a trucking business. Who knows where we will progress from here.

There's plenty of time for thinking, adventures, and relaxation out here. My brother went hitchhiking all across Canada last summer. I plan to cycle from Vancouver to Halifax this year, something I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do when I was stuck in this country's failing consumerist and debt-driven economy.

Currently I use my spare time learning how to generate electricity from sunlight using a parabolic reflector, which focuses the sunlight to a small point, and a Stirling engine, which turns the heat into mechanical power. In theory a 6-meter reflector will generate 10 kW of electricity at a system efficiency of 27%. If only I could figure out how to cost effectively and sustainably store the energy at night, then I could free my entire family from the power grid, greatly reducing our need for money.

This work makes me feel alive. I feel like I'm creating progress for myself and others, not stagnating. Chopping a few cord of wood and ploughing the fields is hard work but it only invigorates us to do more, knowing every bit of effort we put in helps everyone. It's way better than the days I spent $10,000 to write papers for professors teaching me what I could find online or in a library for free. Certainly it's way better than the days I came to a job 15 minutes early for a year without fail only to be harshly scolded the first time I came to work two minutes late.

My first and last job, in the contemporary sense, was working late evening shifts washing dishes at a bar. I couldn't even have a normal life... I'd come home exhausted and sleep all day, only to go back to work again and walk home afterwards at night on gang crime ridden streets. And that was only to barely make my rent, heating bill, and student loan payments. Sometimes all I would eat was oatmeal and multivitamins.

I couldn't stand it anymore and neither could my family living similar meaningless grinds. You work harder but still get the same pay...how does that even make sense? Here if I chop more firewood, I get more firewood chopped. If I plant more vegetables, I get more vegetables grown. Now that makes a whole lot more sense to me!

People use to tell me to stick to it, that everything would work out in the end, but I quit after my first year of college and roughed it on my own. My friends have graduated now and can't find work. All they got was an ageing piece of paper and $40,000 of debt. One of them joined the army because they saw no options left. Some have taken graduate school in hopes the economy will turn around and it'll all be fine once they're finished. I just shake my head as this global economy crisis further unfolds.

Some people say we're crazy, some tell us we're living a dream they'd only hope for when they retire. It's the only way we can see living though. My mother's retirement plan isn't some stupid retirement savings plan saving worthless dollars. It's us, her children and family.

From our hard work we can have peace of mind. There's food on the table, wood in the fire, water in the kettle, each other's company, and most importantly our liberty. The only thing more I could want is to see more people living with the liberty we do.

Whatever you do, don't ignore your feelings. Take them day by day to figure out the solution for you. It won't happen over night or by next year. But give it 5 years or more and you'll start seeing how the little decisions you take to solve those feelings will create meaningful changes and, with my every hope, to a day of liberty where your work means everything to you.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
For interested parties, here is more direct explaination in plain English why you are slave on a plantation - The US Corporation Explained

Easy reading that should shed some light on our plight. Until we put an end to the aristocracy we will be forever slaves toiling at their pleasure!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I would say what you feel , could possibly be something else , to me this feeling is not so much that
it is unnatural to work for what you need , but the modern workplace conditions & politics & structure
that are not natural , you are not a machine meant to work under florescent lights all day for example , or
putting up with a crazy power control boss that doesn't know what they are doing, this stresses you out...
all these type of things don't feel natural,...& add to that the inflating cost of living & wages that cant keep up,...
combined this all contributes & creates stress ,..& a feeling that you are squeezed into something not natural for a human to endure ,..& its probably true ,...we aren't meant for this,...& its probably sending alot of us to early graves
but what you need is balance , I put up with what I have to at work & just think to myself , they only own me for a few hours ,...they pay me , then I work for myself , I like to take a break in nature , to be able to unwind & be outside somewhere & just sit & look at the sky , the trees, the birds & animals,.....It seems to a have a very therapeutic
balancing effect for me , to make me realize how insignificant what you do for work is , how pointless material things are , how fake media entertainment is , whats most important is how you impact other people
because in the end there is no prize for " The guy with the most stuff"....

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by GeminiSky

No it;s not, it's punishment. God said you earn the sweat of your brow. You till the Earth in anguish. He did not make it natural, because punishment is not natural.

Also, If you do what you love you don't really hate it and it's not that unnatural. It can be fun.

I have great issues about being punished - by ANY conscious Being - for something *I* didn't do.

I think that was created to demoralize Humans into thinking they are somehow bad and shameful, thereby easier to control. Personally, I don't buy it.

I do agree that if One has the choice to follow One's bliss, it no longer counts as "work." Sadly, in a money-driven society, most have no chance to follow their bliss. If you are poor and your bliss is studying particle physics, you are most likely to find that the only means to support yourself will be a McJob, with no opportunity to attend CalTech.

I have solutions that will allow everyone to follow their bliss, within the three Laws. I posted links to them on the previous page here. Also, my free ebook, linked in my sig.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeminiSky
reply to post by TomJoad

What about those of us whos life just turned out to be like this? Those of us who dont have the time or money to go to school and do something we love? those of us who never finished school and now cant leave the job to go back because they wont be able to pay rent?

My friend, I can't say it enough...it's a system. Everything from the progressive tax system, to the college loan system to the prison system,the pharmaceutical system; it's all a system meant to turn you into DEBT SLAVES. In Texas you can pay to have a FELONY expunged. I can't say it enough, WE LIVE, EAT AND BREATH THE SYSTEMS that have been put in place by the power elite to control us and use us as economic slaves.

SIDE NOTE: DON'T PAY YOUR INCOME TAX! hit 'em where it hurts; there's no actual law that requires you to pay an income tax.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Most work environments are as crooked as our Government.

Hard work means little to these guys who do you think gets ahead further? The guy who does that extra step and works harder or the brown noser who plays golf with upper management every weekend?

Its all a big crooked #ed up mess. Then you have to worry about other co workers the ones who brown nose stab you in the back trying to get in good with management.

The people who work the hardest and contribute the most are usually the ones the least appreciated and under payed.

Hard work pays off that is a damn lie and not always the case. Just like cliche crap like you can be anything you wanna be. No not everyone can be a pro sports player.

Then you can work for a company 20-30 years and never get written up and some new hiree can come in know the right people get pissed at you and get you fired. Seniority means nothing. Your just and statistic to the company.

Its not what you know its who you know
and how much $hi# you allow on your nose.

edit on 12-2-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good thread OP, Thanks.

I think about this very thing, having worked my way up the ladder, then losing a job (after nearly 20 yrs) that I thought had some meaning. Because I had the tendency to "think I was somebody" and that I could speak my mind. I though that a corp. could not do immoral and unconstitutional things to people (imagine). I found later that was because I was stressed to the max, and not thinking clearly!

I worked hard to start my own business, and it is successful, but it is a grind. It is however what I do best, so I guess that's that. I resent paying 1/3 of the fruits of my labor every quarter to the tax man, and about 1/10th of it every day to the sales tax. Most of us don't feel that pain of the payments, because our paychecks are garnished from the very start of our working lives. Then thousands every year to the local school etc. taxing authorities, even though we "own" our home, and have no kids in school anymore. And that's after we paid 10s of thousands to put the kids thru a "state university". So they can go through the grind all over again.

Many of us (mid-lifers) are finding out that working your way up the ladder makes it more desirable for them to push you off. You make more money, expect to get treated a little better, etc. You start using those benefits and insurance that they promised you.

A little rant makes me feel better, thanks!

When will people wake up? IMO a little shake-up in the eco-system, something to disrupt the "bread and circuses", the gladiator games, the porn/music/drug industry. All those raw nerves firing off at one time. Watch out then, head for the hills maybe if you can.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

You're on the internet right now. Which means you're helping in the rape of the Earth and the communal suck that is man. Doesn't matter what you think you didn't do or not. You did. Just by typing here you are killing your fellow man.

The easiest way to control a human is to make him feel on top of the world and as happy as can be. In fact, the biblical treatment of humanity would make rebellion the only logical answer. But human logic to such issues never got us anywhere. Thus it's frowned upon. Granted our logic abilities have greatly increases from back there, we still fail at life.

I have a solution too. It's quite easy. Worth rather than cash. Yes we're all created equal, but we each have unequal skills that we should earn worth because of our use of them. Use that worth to better another's worth and buy their stuff. A government is worth its citizens, rather than hoe much it takes from them. You cannot tax worth, you cannot inflate worth. You just gain it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anokorok
I certainly once related to how you feel, and my family did too. Our solution was to get back to the land as my mother had once lived, just as she had grown up on a farm.

We live together on about 40 acres of land, all nine of us, each with our own strengths and weaknesses. One of us loves mechanics, another sewing, another carpentry, another cooking—we all have many talents and interests to help each other. When we need something or have a problem we know who to go to and help each other out without question.

The nearest town is over 20 km away, with an urban population of 2000. All our water comes from a well, and all our poop goes out into a lagoon. My only option for internet here is dial-up, which people find ironic 'cause I'm still quite the geek. We live just a kilometre from where the paved road ends. It's remote, but not too remote.

Come this spring, my brother and I are going to till another field and plant wheat. We already bake our own bread and grow a variety of food: tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, and many more. We also raise chickens and turkeys too. But with the nine of us we still buy quite a lot of food from the farmers' market and the grocery store.

Complete self-sufficiency is difficult, so community is important. Some of us still work for money but only as entrepreneurs. My sister in-law once ran a small restaurant by herself and my brother is selling firewood right now. My stepfather and mother run a trucking business. Who knows where we will progress from here.

There's plenty of time for thinking, adventures, and relaxation out here. My brother went hitchhiking all across Canada last summer. I plan to cycle from Vancouver to Halifax this year, something I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do when I was stuck in this country's failing consumerist and debt-driven economy.

Currently I use my spare time learning how to generate electricity from sunlight using a parabolic reflector, which focuses the sunlight to a small point, and a Stirling engine, which turns the heat into mechanical power. In theory a 6-meter reflector will generate 10 kW of electricity at a system efficiency of 27%. If only I could figure out how to cost effectively and sustainably store the energy at night, then I could free my entire family from the power grid, greatly reducing our need for money.

This work makes me feel alive. I feel like I'm creating progress for myself and others, not stagnating. Chopping a few cord of wood and ploughing the fields is hard work but it only invigorates us to do more, knowing every bit of effort we put in helps everyone. It's way better than the days I spent $10,000 to write papers for professors teaching me what I could find online or in a library for free. Certainly it's way better than the days I came to a job 15 minutes early for a year without fail only to be harshly scolded the first time I came to work two minutes late.

My first and last job, in the contemporary sense, was working late evening shifts washing dishes at a bar. I couldn't even have a normal life... I'd come home exhausted and sleep all day, only to go back to work again and walk home afterwards at night on gang crime ridden streets. And that was only to barely make my rent, heating bill, and student loan payments. Sometimes all I would eat was oatmeal and multivitamins.

I couldn't stand it anymore and neither could my family living similar meaningless grinds. You work harder but still get the same pay...how does that even make sense? Here if I chop more firewood, I get more firewood chopped. If I plant more vegetables, I get more vegetables grown. Now that makes a whole lot more sense to me!

People use to tell me to stick to it, that everything would work out in the end, but I quit after my first year of college and roughed it on my own. My friends have graduated now and can't find work. All they got was an ageing piece of paper and $40,000 of debt. One of them joined the army because they saw no options left. Some have taken graduate school in hopes the economy will turn around and it'll all be fine once they're finished. I just shake my head as this global economy crisis further unfolds.

Some people say we're crazy, some tell us we're living a dream they'd only hope for when they retire. It's the only way we can see living though. My mother's retirement plan isn't some stupid retirement savings plan saving worthless dollars. It's us, her children and family.

From our hard work we can have peace of mind. There's food on the table, wood in the fire, water in the kettle, each other's company, and most importantly our liberty. The only thing more I could want is to see more people living with the liberty we do.

Whatever you do, don't ignore your feelings. Take them day by day to figure out the solution for you. It won't happen over night or by next year. But give it 5 years or more and you'll start seeing how the little decisions you take to solve those feelings will create meaningful changes and, with my every hope, to a day of liberty where your work means everything to you.

Im deadly serious, I am desperately trying to emulate you. Congrats on what you guys have accomplished! Liberating even to read you post, thanks!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
i dont think there is anything unnatural about working per say . but there might be something unnatural about some of the things we do for money. there are some people who are so happy at work that they would gladly do it for free. now thats working.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by HomeBrew

I agree with that, however I would be happier just living of the land and working for my own survival, which in todays modern world is pretty much impossible.

Dude, If I were 24 again I would probably join the military all over again. I risked much; and worked some long hours but having entered the service at 18 I am all but retired at 44. I was able to save money and invest and bought a farm and now I grow most of my own food and am my own boss.

You are going to have to do something you might not like for a while to be able to do the same but if you invest well you can buy some land free and clear in probably 10-15 years. The more rugged/remote the land you want the cheaper it is. Some remote lands in Idaho/Wyoming/Utah/Montana and such are very cheap.

Also, before you get make a decision about the off the grid life try working at an Adventure Camp as a counselor or as a hiking guide to see if you like that kind of thing. There are tons of places for young dudes to work at cool jobs - adventure vacations are very popular now.

I think there webis a site actually -

edit on 12/2/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The form of "work" we are made to do in this society I feel is not natural. I would much prefer to work for myself in gathering or creating my own food and shelter rather than grinding for some corporation for a paycheck.

I am also not motivated by money. I just recently quit my job of 10 years at a very well known corporation and am going to find a much less stressful job that allows me to gain the kind of wealth I seek... Knowledge.
edit on 12-2-2011 by veritaslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I recently started a new sales job, and while the pay is good, the hours are inhumane... most days we work from 9am to 9pm and only get 30 min for lunch! While observing my new found co-workers, I noticed that they have all become complacent, and dont even go out for lunch, they just sit in their cubicles munching on unhealthy junk food.

While your hours do stink, you have to realize that there are people working graveyard shifts such as 9pm - 9am EVERYDAY that they report to work. That is 9:00 at NIGHT to 9:00 in the MORNING and half hour lunch is the norm. THATS INHUMANE and UNNATURAL!!

While I agree with you that 9am - 9pm is in fact TERRIBLE hours to have to work, it does get much worst. Its a shame that most people have to spend a HUGE majority of their lives away from their family and home to make another person rich while getting a few crumbs and table-scraps for doing it. And its certainly a shame that hours such as this even exist at all. Eight hours a day, 5 days a week is LONG ENOUGH!! But thats not good enough anymore. I've worked many years at 60 hours a week, five-six days a week and it STINKS.

To make it even worst, I remember reading somewhere a comparison between workers in the US verses many other countries where in a years time, Americans work more hours by the summer time then most other countries work in an ENTIRE year. Thats like working until the summer time comes, and then having the rest of the year OFF with FULL PAY!!! And they have the same or better quality of life with this huge vacation every year!!! Im very JEALOUS for sure!!

Many other countries workforce actually work to have a LIFE, and not work just to SURVIVE in life.

The days of the baby boomer generation of having a nice easy day shift job of 8 hours total a day with full benefits, and a nice pension, with a daily pat on the back for just SHOWING UP up and LOOKING BUSY at your own pace and making a nice living from that is LONG GONE!!!!

LONG GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join