It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel like Having to Work is un-natural?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

I completely agree with you and have felt the same way even since i was a child.
To me it seems like modern slavery except that the average joe is slaves for the elite or tptb.

It also seems unnatural and insane to me how someone can claim they own a piece of land. Today here you even have to seek permission if you want to make a fireplace out in nature. :O In a real free world as free beings there would be no such ownership. The worst part is that it is impossible to build your own shelter and live off nature as even that requires special permission from the state that claims to own everything.

It also seems like the only thing that gets average joe through the day is the weekends, which is usually wasted on numbing your brains with alcohol or other drugs.
A normal week of a the average person seems to be like this: Wake up, take a quick shower and maybe a breakfast, work for hours, have 30 mins off, work for more hours, then go back home to make dinner, then waste hours on watching the propaganda box"TV" before you again head for bed and repeat the same cycle over and over again.
On top of this they now claim they cant afford pensions in future, so by the time i get old i will probably not be able to retire before 80-90 years of age if i by some odd chance manage to live that long.

The so called free consuming world is for people like me pure HELL. I rather be poor as heck than living like miserable slave.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomeBrew
Regardless of how you go about it, one must always 'work' for food, shelter, safety, ect. It's as natural as breathing. So, no. I do not feel it's un-natural in the slightest.

Then go look at animal kingdom.. Most animals dont waste nearly every single waking hours of their life haunting or building shelter.
The reason you find it natural is because you have been conditioned since you were a child to believe it is normal and that this is all that life has to offer.

Why should i not be able to build my own little shelter with my own hands and hunt my own food if i want?? Why should i be forced participated in a society that for me is hellish and unatural?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is in response to the OP.

Please read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. It may answer some of the questions you have posed.

~peace

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

Originally posted by GeminiSky

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Looking back it doesn't seem all that bad. It may seem impossibly far down the road to you yet, but I wish you the best of luck and good judgement and that you can get ahead of the odds and do as well as I have. I didn't plan for these days I am living now - the best and most enjoyable years of my life - I merely kept pushing through when there seemed no end in sight. And I made it!

Erongaricauro,

I must say that your post resonated with me simply because it probably the best balance of realism, cold hard truth, and at the same time contains a positive message. The most "Common Sense" reply on this thread so far. This is the real life advice I seek! Because really how many of us are gonna sell everything we have, move to Alaska and live off the land? Thats right pretty much none of us here.

Thank you very much for sharing, it gives me a glimmer of hope in an otherwise dark world.

Regards,

--GS

Erongaricuaro's advice is the best advice you can get to survive in they system - you need to not worry about it, keep your head down and push through it. My post pointed out it get's harder and harder for future generations because the game is designed to let those up the top gain a bigger share over time because money makes money, so while you should push through because there is no end of this system in sight - just remember that your odd's are going to be worse for your future generations so they will likely need your help just to stay afloat and if you can create a self sustaining enviroment for them that would likely be the best gift someone in the future could recieve. Just my 2c though

Exactly! And even for my generation it is doubtful i will even be able to retire before age of 70 at best. With today's stressful society i doubt i will even reach retirement age.
Here in Norway the greedy bastards have even stolen large parts of the pensions of those who will reach retirement age soon, even though they have paid taxes all their life to be able to get that pension.
Now they even say that future generations will have to see even more cuts, even though current generation of retired live now in poverty and hardly can afford to keep their apartment heated.

If you are so smart that you save up money yourself then they will take large part of that as well and everything if you happen to get so ill that you need special apartment or end up in a elderly home.

But if you are a member of government then you can retire at pretty much any age after just a few years of work as a top politician.
edit on 15-2-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It is natural to this planet. As we move up the ladder both spiritually and mentally we will sometime get to live in places where work is not necessary. Work is only necessary in places like this 3d land. We live in a planet like a prison, and a prisoner has to do work. No freedom.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I could handle living off the land and being completely removed from The Matrix.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
At least your not plowing a field somewhere

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Why do we have to "pay" to live on a planet where we were born? I really see no difference from history of slavement of African Americans to the modern version of planetary slavery. If it's this way for all then it can pass as being life and not slavery.
edit on 15-2-2011 by MITSwagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Yeah I have always doubted pension and superannuation schemes - Over here (and many other places) these are now mandatory, which I am totally opposed to! Who are the government to force me to pay in to a scheme where I have to choose which private companies to invest in. They are just forcing this money out of us now because they know by the time people realise that they have been scammed they will be too old to fight back.
This is the kind of thing that makes people so mad they do crazy stuff - it's when they are being forced to do something they do not want to do and they feel backed in to a corner, they feel their voice does not matter anymore - even when it comes to their own money.
edit on 15-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
there were many cultures that organized differently than corporate capitalism. in the hundreds of native american cultures [pre-genocide] men would hunt and fish and organize celebrations and religious rituals - about 10 hours a week labor doing what we call "recreation" in our factory-culture. women would do alot more. but even women only worked about 15 hours a week. the rest of the time was spent philosophizing by a river or making love. heh. the same is true for many third world countries, where work is often seasonal, and small farm related. planting season may involve 80 hour weeks, but other times of year might reflect 5 hour weeks.

in our corporate culture, we have two elements that are completely UNNATURAL. one is the structured work week which sucks our lives away doing redundant crap with no room to live. this breeds a culture of morons. this reflects a culture of slaves. the actual slaves of the US south on plantations in the 1700's had more free time, literally. that is why many say in our culture we have only an illusion of freedom in current-day america.

is the problem that we are obsessed by our gadgets? first it was the telegraph, then the telephone, then the cordless, then the cellphone, now the smart phone...so many of us choose to work to buy this endless stream of gadgets, and that is why we cannot live the more philosophical and fun life of native americans? ...for gadgets and fashion and media and healthcare? partly, yes.

but there is a second UNNATURAL factor at work here. are we enslaved by psch-ops programming from corporate illumanti media? prolly. but are the young and disenfranchized enslaved by the cost of housing in america? definately. is it a plot to enslave us by the wealthy class. you decide.

if you dont own a house in america, then you must buy one, or rent. if you choose to buy a house in my state, you will pay $2-5000 a month for the next 30 years to own the house. even then, after 30 years, you wont own it. you will still have many thousands of dollars in taxes and insurance every year. 30 years of paying $2-5000 a month, every month. try to pay that off by fishing and hunting buffallo. heck, try to pay that off by working for a corporation. after taxes, insurance, cars, food, etc. if you have enouh left to pay your mortgage, its a miracle. renting is exactly the same, except that after 30 years you own nothing.

the structured, redundant corporate slave workweek is without heart, soul or meaning. we are suppossed to push materialism and feed the soul of shallow values and loveless emptiness as if it means something to us, while we neglect our own soul, growth, art and self. anyone from a third world culture would be shocked at how little we know our neighbors or even care. ours is an ugly culture, as a result of this work structure. it goes against our genetic makeup and 20,000 years of human history. we are slaves to buying a house that we could build by ourselves in a single year if it was legal [its not in 48 states]. we are thusly denied the right every squirrel in a forest posseses, the right to a home. so we are slaves. there are enough houses in america to house everyone, but we all work to never own one. so slave away, or be homeless.

you are owned.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
When I go to work I am miserable, when I am at home i am joyous

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Shameless self promotion of my counterpoint thread!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The top 20% of our country owns 85% of the wealth and the bottom 50% own less than 1%. We are getting the scraps from our master's tables. How are we NOT slaves. Just because our "quality of life" is better in comparison to the black slaves in the 18th and 19th centuries, doesn't mean we aren't slaves. Just because we aren't legally owned by our masters, doesn't mean our bosses don't own us. Just because we can voluntarily work doesn't mean we don't have to work like slaves for food and shelter. The reason we aren't sleeping in barns has nothing to do with owners not exploiting their workers, it's because of science and technology. If it wasn't for science, we probably would be sleeping in barns. The workers in this country are exploited just like the slaves in the past. It is just done in a much more sophisticated way. It's much better for the masters to have slaves that don't even realize they are slaves. Those types of slaves cause much fewer problems for their masters.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Reflection because: added extra numbers

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I would have to agree that modern-styles of work are unnatural.
Modern work is fairly abstract - you work everyday...then at the end of a month you receive money.
Money itself is also an abstract concept of value.

The modern work system doesn't really have a good feedback system. It would be better the instant that you did good work, you got paid proportionally to the greatness of your contribution. Of course, organizing that would be very difficult. What is needed are good carrots and sticks to instill cause and effect in people.People are trying to do this. Search for Jane McGonigal on TED.com.

I had a very lucky ubpringing, and I might have been spoiled by my parents I think. For me, money just doesn't seem to drive me, the same way it motivates others.

I actually suffer from some kind of mental-blocks when I get too bored. I'm a computer programmer, interested in physics simulations - my hobby. Sometimes I need money so I accept a simple programming job - only to find that after a week or two, I just sit and stare at the screen for hours because I've mentally blacked out. The work I need to do is very easy, but the tediousness of such a simple task makes my brain freeze somehow.

Does anybody else suffer from this mental block from tedium? When I've explained previously, people say that I'm just being lazy. The issue I have is that it isn't a conscious choice on my part. I can't control it. I've also successfully completed many more complex projects without this problem.

Maybe I'm just lazy :p

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reflection
The top 20% of our country owns 85% of the wealth and the bottom 50% own less than 1%.

It is actually much worse than that.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Because of the stresses of work, I have began to drink more often.

When I get home, all I can do is head for the fridge and grab a cold beer, and I just might return for a second one.
Is that healthy? Probably not. Is it necessary to prevent my head from exploding? Absolutely.

--GS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm new here - first post, but this was the first thread to catch my eye. I find it so interesting that we all have such differing views on work.
Personally, I've helped my family clean office buildings and basically just survive since I was about six.
I hated it when I was a kid, and even now I'm not condoning child labor, but work is very natural, as long as your heart is in it.
No one likes taxes, no one likes high gas prices or rent...But it's a part of our world now, unfortunately; I don't feel unnatural working, necessarily, but sometimes being stuck in a stuffy store having to help people who view you as nothing more than a robot there to satisfy their needs is extremely unnatural to someone like me. Some people choose to manage or even own large department stores, but it's not natural to me.
Some people like outdoor jobs, some like office jobs, some like to perform. It's what makes the world go around, and why so many professions are built up.

I, personally, would feel very natural in a work position that allowed me the freedom of travel, such as journalism or paranormal investigation, but others might not feel the same way. We all have to work in order to have any quality of life. Money in coin or paper form is extremely important to our survival in the 21st century western civilization - even as a farmer you need money to buy and sell products to keep yourself fed. You need money to pay property tax, and homeowner's insurance. You need money in order to transport your goods to and from your home, and if you or a family member becomes ill, you need either transportation or a phone to call for help [unless you're willing to offer alternative medicine and risk further injury or death]. Phone bills, gas, auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, property tax, seeds, farming equipment, and unless you're going extreme, you need electricity, water and possibly internet/cable. All of these cost money...
I'd love it if we could all trade for our meals and shelter, don't get me wrong, but I don't foresee a civilation that utilizes the bartering/trade system springing up in Europe or the US any time soon.
I do love this topic though. Thumbs up to the OP.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

80% of the worlds population produce100% of the worlds wealth. Middle class = 60%. The poor = 20%. The richest 20% dont produce anything "They own everything".

The richest 20% consume 76.6% of the total world wealth.

The worlds middle class which is 60% consume 21.9%.

The poor 20% consume 1.5%

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's too bad people didn't have the option, or an easier time, working fewer hours.

I did hear of someone who split there 40h week with someone else, both had 20. It worked out better for the company since productivity was higher.

I think it'd be more natural to consume/buy less, then you wouldn't need or want to work as much. A Lexus and full time work, or a "generic" car that drives just as well working part time.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
We live in a capitalistic world.
If capitalism is going to work.
The majority of the world population cant own property or real capital.

In a capitalistic world only the capitalist "state" have ownership and control. And the majority have to go to them to borrow or lease capital and property. In return you have to pay back all debt with interest and tax.

In this modern capitalistic society, the majority of the world population work at the property of the capitalist.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join