It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel like Having to Work is un-natural?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Golden Boy

Actually I don't have a problem with material needs and wants. These desires have been the driving force behind the world economy for over 50 years. The issue I have is, what has become of our routine-daily lives as a result of what the economy has become over the last 10 years.

And it's not just high-level execs - as one poster put it - but mid- and low-level managers and front-line supervisors that appear to be slave drivers, in an attempt to increase a company's profit margin.

It's the pyramid concept. It's not just that a select few tell us what to do, but the fact that most of our time and money gets kicked upstairs. And what's left for us? More work.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sumgai
reply to post by Golden Boy

Actually I don't have a problem with material needs and wants. These desires have been the driving force behind the world economy for over 50 years. The issue I have is, what has become of our routine-daily lives as a result of what the economy has become over the last 10 years.

And it's not just high-level execs - as one poster put it - but mid- and low-level managers and front-line supervisors that appear to be slave drivers, in an attempt to increase a company's profit margin.

It's the pyramid concept. It's not just that a select few tell us what to do, but the fact that most of our time and money gets kicked upstairs. And what's left for us? More work.

But here's the thing: they're not actually slave drivers. Not only are conditions today actually fairly good - and incredibly far from slavery - but these actions are not motivated by "let's go screw over the working classes". It's simply business. It's a basic consequence of the competitive market.

Is it nice? No. Is it fair? Under ideal circumstances (i.e., a market entirely free of corruption), I would argue that it is.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

You are married. Right? 'Cause if you are not then you are nuts. Cash in, buy a 24 ft sloop and cut yourself free for a couple of years. 'Round the world trailing a fine netting in the cold waters and subsisting on plankton. If that's good enough for a Blue Whale you can eat it and thrive. Learn to live off the sea. Take notes, watch the stars, check out the skies for UFO's. Heave to and do some open ocean diving. Lay ahull at midnight and drop an electric spotlight 50 ft down and watch, through a glass, in awe at all the deep sea critters that have risen to meet the moon (and also to escape the predators below). Catch rain in the sail. Build a solar still. Find that certain creatures make their own fresh water and store it in special bladders. It is drinkable in an emergency. Find a whale shark and dive to keep it company as it swims along ignoring you. Note the 6 ft wide mouth and the muscular body that could swat you like a bug if it were so disposed. Do all these kinds of things for a couple of years. Then return and write a book or finish the poetry or music that came to you during your trek. After this your life will never be boring again. At 69 years old I know whereof I speak.

Of course if you really want to be a no balls, imagination numb salesman well then.....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
wiki has some interesting information about tesla building a ship that woulnd enable the common man to traverse our soloar system. the government bought his plans however and informed Tesla that it would disrupt the monetary system that society relies on. something to chew on right? They dont want us freely roaming around do they? they want us locked into a cycle that serves them best. we are to busy worrying about work and bills that we cant fully understand mankinds full potential. Apparently such things are beyond the common man or reserved for a group that considers themselfes seperate.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I'm apt to agree with you on this topic. I feel this way everytime i "swipe" my id badge.

Yet the Aliens continue to sit idle and watch us suffer in our machinations...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

You are married. Right?

just about

Cash in, buy a 24 ft sloop and cut yourself free for a couple of years.

oh ya, well maybe somewhat bigger but still ocean-cruisin' yacht, preferably concrete.

'Round the world trailing a fine netting in the cold waters and subsisting on plankton.
If that's good enough for a Blue Whale you can eat it and thrive.

got any sources for that? myself and quite a few others are interested.

Learn to live off the sea.

yep, garden the ocean.

Take notes, watch the stars, check out the skies for UFO's.
Heave to and do some open ocean diving.

black and white stripes deter sharks.

Lay ahull at midnight and drop an electric spotlight 50 ft down and watch, through a glass, in awe at all the deep sea critters that have risen to meet the moon (and also to escape the predators below).

awesome, gotta make videos of that.

Catch rain in the sail. Build a solar still.

for sure, make a fabrication laboratory,
create any product you wish for.

Find that certain creatures make their own fresh water and store it in special bladders. It is drinkable in an emergency.

basic ocean survivalism :-)

Find a whale shark and dive to keep it company as it swims along ignoring you.
Note the 6 ft wide mouth and the muscular body that could swat you like a bug if it were so disposed.

mighty rare sight I hears.

Do all these kinds of things for a couple of years.
Then return and write a book or finish the poetry or music that came to you during your trek.

could also write it during.

After this your life will never be boring again.

learn to have a magic-spell-book or captain's-log of life,
stating what you've achieved, and what you wish to experience.

At 69 years old I know whereof I speak.

Ya, also the Seasteading Institute takes you totally seriously.
Seasteading is about living full-time on the ocean,
where we can be free living sustainable lives.
seasteading.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

when i first read the title of this post i laughed. it sounded like something a hippy would ask. and i though "well no. even cave men had to work a good 12 hours a day or more just to find food and shelter." but its a very well thought out post.

we are so connected from the basic things that allow us to keep living and it is very unnatural. however, the amount of work we have to do "working" is so much less in time and so much less dangerous than what i would consider 'natural' work..... i'd have to say "bring on the unnaturalness."

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Brother,you are just waking up in the Matrix, isn´t it? Better hear this healthy voice blowing a new reality inside you. We have been helping then to rape this planet for so long! They programmed our fathers, and the father of our fathers, to think working in this slavery manner is natural, good for the respectable family man and etc. You are waking, but they say you´re a lazy dreamer? You´re not the only one. Unity 99 gave a right clue. This world is changing...and faster. In the next few years you gonna see things that the old books previewed hundred and hundred years ago. The few ones controlling this material mind system will lost their control over people in the new, and there is a really better world coming 13 years in the future. But before that they will fight harder than ever, trying to convince you to buy "their" new One world, where they gonna try to finally centralise all the power around the world. Better you seek more knowledge about that (but they don´t want you doing that! that´s why you have so few time in your hands, isn´t it?)!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CholmondleyWarner
reply to post by nightbringr

Correct but tell me this, why is it that the government say they have no money to give nurses, police, firemen, teachers, etc, a decent pay rise but they have billions to give to Europe to bail out Ireland!? Why do they feign poverty yet plough billions into illegal wars, and bailing out the bankers who caused this problem in te first place...

The wars i can agree with, but is it a bad thing to help our brothers and sisters in other countries doing even worse than ourselves?

You say you dont want to help Ireland or any other country? Thats a very dangerous, isolationist stance to take, and i would hope you realize that if the USA is ever in danger, you risk alienating any of your allies or partners.

And the bankers didnt cause the problems, the home speculators and naive people who took mortgages they are barely able if able to afford at all, then dumped their homes when the economy went south.

If you are making 30,000 a year, are you going to buy a 300,000 home? Well many did, and when the economy tanked they jumped ship, leaving the banks with homes that were now worth half of what they were at time of sale. Do the math, the banks got screwed.

You need to realize that its not all a massive conspiracy and the big bad banks are not out to get you, but are simply trying to make money (albeit a ton more money than most of us will ever make). Stop looking elsewhere to place the blame. People in todays society have more free time than ever and live at a greater comfort level than ever before in the West, yet we still complain more than ever.

edit on 15-2-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
If you were dumped off into the wilderness and your only job was to survive, you would be surprised at how much work that is. Just finding drinkable water can take you a day. Think you are frustrated getting paid $50 an hour to sit in an air conditioned office cubicle and surf facebook in between phone calls? Try spending 2 days hunting elusive prey animals while your stomach is growling and your hands trembling from hunger. Hate that alarm clock going off at 6am for you to start your day? Try not being able to sleep because you keep hearing something moving around in the woods near your camp. Think it's unfair when your boss confronts you about you not meeting your deadlines? Try having a black bear confront you because she wants to rip out your liver and feed it to her cubs.

Yes, living modern life is not "natural", but consider the alternative, and be careful what you wish for.

I've spent time in the wilderness and it's preferable to the misery of some jobs out there...
If you've a homesteading base and living in the country things aren't so bad as that...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Be prepared for one of my longest(sleep deprived) posts...

I am a police officer, I work 4 days 7am-7pm, get 4 days off, then work 4 nights 7pm-7am, then get 4 days off, the restart the cycle again. However in reality I end up working usually 60 hours a week due to excessive call volume. I am happy because little thing can make me happy, I can be having the worst day in the world and then someone gives me a hug for helping them with a problem and I feel like a million dollars. I am ranting please forgive me, I guess the point I am trying to make is find a job where you can find SOME things that make you happy. We I was 16 I worked in a convenience store and enjoyed the conversations with people and getting to meet new people and talking to the regulars about whatever their grip of the day was
. I don't know if this will help you or if this is just another sleep deprived nonsensical post of mine, I hope it helps either by making you laugh or giving you a new perspective.

Secure

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by PhantomLimb

This is true because people work and do not have these things. You could work at a minuim wage job 40 hours a week and still not make it.

well im one of those folks ...... anyway money doesn't do # , money does not give alot of things - Money can be a superficial surrogate to get certain things....

Money does not get you a relationship, seriously i've have been unemployed for a year ( a few years ago ) besides searching for a new job i had oceans of time to do alot of stuff. YES YOU HEAR THIS RIGHT to do alot of stuff - you don't need money to do everything.
in that year i was going out every night ( bar and club ) i don't drink alcohol and access was free - in that year i had about 4 girlfriends and alot of second night stands..... seriously... i had no money i didn't gave a damn about money.
fact : Money does not get you a relationship money does not give you social skills , if you have money you only attract people that love money - go ahead and marry a golddigger.

Fact : money does not make you happy ... yes it helps because now you can work part time BUT A chode or a guy without a drive can be rich or poor it doesn't matter. Money and power give responsibility and most people f*ck up there and we tend to follow them or admire them... moviestars etc.... money doesn't say # il bet saddam had alot of money. Alot of idiots are rich does that mean they are elite better than you ? they just gone through the grind harder than you because they are the system.
Il prefer to follow a smart enlightened poor dude instead of a rich idiot..... however the tendancy in this society is to follow the one with the most materials in possesion.

SOCIAL CONDITIONING : .... guys who tell you you can't live of nature are totally pessemistic and live in fear , im a agriculturist/horticulturist and i've been in the army. In the army i got survival lessons how to survive in nature and all that kind of stuff. It's not hard to survive in the wild.. there are edible plants growing in my yard for years without evening noticing it. there are enough people living in isolated conditions... alaska , tropical areas and so forth FOR thousands of years people have survived in nature and lived of the land so why can't you ? because you're ignorant and you don't have the right information ... you followed society which is telling you to make money or you will die. buy that survival book , buy that gardening book , but that spiritual book, watch bear grylls ray mears and other people. There are people living in comfort while being in nature.
FACT : you resist ideas which are outside your reality , mostly out of fear....

our society developed too fast and we didn't evolved along, we are still primitive being that mostly are driven by instincts and primitve social behaviour.

DONT CONSUME BUT DO INVEST...... 1% or less of the global population is really improving earth , among them are scientists , people who practice wildlife conservation , people who reforrest areas , people who help other people to get more spiritual , philosophers and so forth. the other 99 % is just garbage who is going to the grind and subject to social conditioning because they live in fear.

you are going to die anyway ... does that mean you should rape and pillage ? no of course not BUT it does mean you can do things you dream of..... you can write a book , you can become an athlete, you can inspire people you can make the world better by just investing a amount of energy. look im not rich , im educated but i cannot get work which matches my education ..... so i work a crappy job at mcdonalds just for the money to pay my rent ... most of the time i don't even earn enough money to make a normal living i always have money shortage....., in my free time i research new methods and concepts for agriculture, reforrestation, and conservation ( freelance ) i work with similar people as well. i also design nature/eco friendly gardens which promotes efficient greening of small spaces and wildlife ( insects etc) i also re-introduce endangered species back into the wild......all for free, just to encourage people to trade a concrete jungle for a real green area and give them a passion to see nature from a different and exciting perspective.

if you earn alot of money and you are not really contributing you should really stop and reflect on yourself , because i work a #ty job ,contribute alot and don't earn # .. im 23 and earn 800 $ dollar every month and i work 40 to 46 hours every week.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Lodewijkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeminiSky
I feel that if instead of that I was forced to hunt, construct shelter, and defend my family that I would do this gladly and not feel as if I was "working" for a living.

Thoughts?

I would not mind surviving that way as well. Its cool to have a job and fit in with the norm of society, but I feel most of our time is dedicated to the work force. You get up avg. person around 6am get to work at 7am for 8 or 9 hours. Get off at 4pm spend approx. .5 to an hour to get home around 5pm. Get situated in your home life. around 6pm and you got from 6pm till what 830 till kids sent to bed. Then after kids bedded down by 9pm you got a cool 1 to 2 hours, to spend with the woman you love. And thats your day during week. Then the weekend comes around and we try to compress so much into it to keep on track with everyday life and miss the weekend break -WE ALL NEED-. Just to be reminded its Sunday and the weekend is over
It is somewhat a drag. As I said I would not mind going to find food for my family to support them why at the same time having more quality family time. In todays world its all about payen them taxes..

edit on 2/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
Be prepared for one of my longest(sleep deprived) posts...

I am a police officer, I work 4 days 7am-7pm, get 4 days off, then work 4 nights 7pm-7am, then get 4 days off, the restart the cycle again. However in reality I end up working usually 60 hours a week due to excessive call volume. I am happy because little thing can make me happy, I can be having the worst day in the world and then someone gives me a hug for helping them with a problem and I feel like a million dollars. I am ranting please forgive me, I guess the point I am trying to make is find a job where you can find SOME things that make you happy. We I was 16 I worked in a convenience store and enjoyed the conversations with people and getting to meet new people and talking to the regulars about whatever their grip of the day was
. I don't know if this will help you or if this is just another sleep deprived nonsensical post of mine, I hope it helps either by making you laugh or giving you a new perspective.

Secure

Find a job that makes you happy.??

I want to be in hart and soul a F1driver. Oeh have no money, born in the wrong nest. No chance.
Reduce your view of happiness, UPS mail dilivery, Dashboard montage GM, Yeah yeah untill i am67, pension.
____
First we need to remove some resistance above us, then for the first time you can breath freedom for real.
You go and work 60hours a day, for what??? I bet you must work, in order to pay bills bills, to maintain your purchase power of meaningless things.

It pisses me off, that we think so little of ourselves. Not you specific, like almost al the sleepwalkers. (we are waking up)
In Tron terms. You are a program, i am user.

Sorry now I am ranting

previous post of mine, in another thread. (paste perfectly here)

This video, shows us how we can chance the world by reversing priorities (not literary,thought focus)

But then, after finishing watching it, you go like(link). (Even if we don't want to, we choose it collectively.)

I dont care, cause the world still is like it is

You should care, like him. But 90%about the comments people make about David is he is a dis info agent

You and i are a baby.Adopt this tour as a form of truth. We must get our priorities straight

Look here at our insignificance

My head says, "Who cares?" But then my heart whispers, "You do, stupid.."

Everything will be alight, if we want it ore not. Choose Love, choose Unity, choose freedom. Accept the waves of consciousness.

1 thats all

edit on 15-2-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

more info

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by Blazer
If you were dumped off into the wilderness and your only job was to survive, you would be surprised at how much work that is. Just finding drinkable water can take you a day. Think you are frustrated getting paid $50 an hour to sit in an air conditioned office cubicle and surf facebook in between phone calls? Try spending 2 days hunting elusive prey animals while your stomach is growling and your hands trembling from hunger. Hate that alarm clock going off at 6am for you to start your day? Try not being able to sleep because you keep hearing something moving around in the woods near your camp. Think it's unfair when your boss confronts you about you not meeting your deadlines? Try having a black bear confront you because she wants to rip out your liver and feed it to her cubs.

Yes, living modern life is not "natural", but consider the alternative, and be careful what you wish for.

I've spent time in the wilderness and it's preferable to the misery of some jobs out there...
If you've a homesteading base and living in the country things aren't so bad as that...

This is a great point for many people to take into consideration.

I firmly believe that 90% of the people here going on about how it would be so much better to live off the land than to work a 9 to 5 job really have no clue what they are talking about, and most would probably die, especially where i live, in central Canada. The first winter would be the death of them.

Living of the land is VERY hard work. Albeit perhaps more rewarding at the end of the day, i really doubt these people would willingly part with their blackberries, their internet, their contact with relatives which they would no longer have without the modern forms of communications we have grown accustomed to.

Imagine a life with no running water, no sewage. With no fertilizer to help your crops, starvation from sustanence farming is a very real possibility at times. No hospitals to have your babies delivered in, no place to have your illnesses diagnosed or treated, no one to help when your home burns down.

The people who want to "live of the land" do not want to pay taxes, therefore they should not reap the benifits of said taxes. If their wife is raped, or children assaulted, they cannot look to the police for help, our tax dollars pay their wages. If their homeland is invaded, do not expect protection from the army, our taxes pay for them. If your crops dont do well one year, and you are close to starvation, dont come to the government for a handout, our taxes pay for farmers subsidies.

I could go on for hours of the thing you "no taxes, no governement" people would be giving up, but you still will not see the truth in front of your eyes. Our modern lifestyle is much more comfortable and easier than any time in our history. Is it more satisfying or are we happier? I doubt it, but comfortable and easier? Yes, of course.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

I understand what you are saying, let me clarify on something though. I could work my regular shift and survive but due to the fact our department is at 49% staff I am having to do more work so are the other officers.

I was trying to make a point but I am to tired to remember what the point was
, I am getting ready to go to work in 2 hours.

Secure

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

another guy who lives in total fear ....vikings have lived in artic regions for hundreds of years - there are enough examples of people cooping or even being comfortable in the wild. what the hell do you know about survival ? what the hell do you know about plants, trees and animals ? Even in alaska and canada people are living off the land , you also give a horrible example by calling the coldest regions ...... in tropical regions you can live in comfort easily. people who thinks it's impossible to do something just don't have the right information ..period.
for me working my #ty job is probably harder than living off the land.....i think is true for most people , people who have good jobs and easy lifes don't understand anyway

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

I understand what you are saying, let me clarify on something though. I could work my regular shift and survive but due to the fact our department is at 49% staff I am having to do more work so are the other officers.

I was trying to make a point but I am to tired to remember what the point was
, I am getting ready to go to work in 2 hours.

Secure

haha, okey. I suggest you get some power nap time, you must be fit for duty.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lodewijkp

another guy who lives in total fear ....vikings have lived in artic regions for hundreds of years - there are enough examples of people cooping or even being comfortable in the wild. what the hell do you know about survival ? what the hell do you know about plants, trees and animals ? Even in alaska and canada people are living off the land , you also give a horrible example by calling the coldest regions ...... in tropical regions you can live in comfort easily. people who thinks it's impossible to do something just don't have the right information ..period.
for me working my #ty job is probably harder than living off the land.....i think is true for most people , people who have good jobs and easy lifes don't understand anyway

You son, are obviously the one living in fear.

Of course people live off the land, even in the coldest regions of Canada. But not everyone is cracked up to be an Innuit. They are some of the hardiest people in the world and if you think you could emulate them and survive like they do, your delusional. I realize i couldnt do it and am admitting it. Im sure i would die during my first winter, and so would you.

Im happy. I work a job i enjoy, yet i barely make $36,000 a year. I dont make a lot by any standards, but I make the best of it and have a home, car and family i love.

Is life that bad for you? Im sorry you hate your existence. If you would be happier living off the land, why dont you? Its easy to talk, not so easy to do. So many people talking about how its better, but no one setting an example. Im sure you would starve to death unless you have some survival or military training.

In life there are two kinds of people. Those who dwell on what they could have and blame everyone else for that which they lack, and those who embrace what they do have and make the best of it. The second group of people also realize if there is somthing they are lacking, it is their responsibility to go out and get it, and in this Western society, there is nothing you cannot do with the will to do it. You are the former group.

Why use a cold climate as an example? Because this is where i live, so it makes most sense to use it as example.
edit on 15-2-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

lol If I go to sleep I will be unable to be woken up by my alarm clocks. Luckily I am about to get 4 days off starting tommorow...

Secure

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join