It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel like Having to Work is un-natural?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

I wrote the only thing I consider to not be a crime against humanity here: www.abovetopsecret.com... This is not the same as not working and not trying on many roles in advanced edcuation and school, it is however far different than the Pyramid System and is Inverting IT!!!!!!
edit on 11-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomJoad

well, man... i would say if you have to be a gear in the machine be a big one. acquire rental properties. arable land. land with navigable water. all for an early retirement. read "the richest man in babylon." pretty good for raping the system for an early retirement. just maintain the golden rule in your endeavors.

I actually did read that book, although only about half-way; What was that golden rule? Saving 1/10th of your earnings each time you get paid? something to that effect I think...

--GS

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Geminisky,What i have tried to do for most of my years is avoid paying someone else to do things that with a bit of thought and books on different subjects and by trial and error, that nearly every service you pay for can be done yourself.This negates the need for much money ,therefore less time is spent working for someone else .If a lot of your wage goes on rent and food ,then you are going to be stuck in that rut for a long time.If you want luxuries then you have to sacrifice your time .A few ways out of it,go completely self sufficient ,find a rich partner or do illegal activities or all three :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry...but you will always have to work. You could be the hardiest homesteader in Alska...and you would have to work. I actually get antsy toward the end of vacation...not for my job, but to work on my farm.

My suggestion is to start rearranging your life...find a place you want to live in the country...get a small farm ... start the homesteading life. Now there is a giant learning curve if this is all new...so grow into it. You are 25...by 35, you'll think you are Daniel Boone.

Make the move in stages as the "country life" is not for everyone. Lots of Pros and Cons. BUT, I wouldn't live any other way now. Or simply find another job(good luck)..preferably one you like...or start a business

But make the move while young... work is natural, but not the way corporate America has framed and redefined it.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

What if the markets go under? What then?

Then you can sit around and complain while collecting unemployment.

There is always a way to turn a hobby into a profitable business, whether it's a little extra spending cash or a multi-million dollar venture.

Uh...if the markets go under there is no unemployment. Heard of the Great Depression?

Anyway, all these profitable businesses and dollars, dollars, dollars do nothing for people. What really is the point to making money? Really? The point? To BUY things. iPods, iPads, multiple cars, multiple houses, video games, etc.

Of course, no one really thinks about what happens when the resources to make these things run out, do they?

The work we do is absurd. It's for nothing.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Over140

I hear you 100% and couldn't agree more. Same line of work as you, same waves, about 2 years ago. Once you get past the materials, doesn''t it feel like you are now outsite of "the box" now and look at things with a new light ?
I wish i could just go hunt, grow my plants, smoke and chill out on the beach. Well half way there a couple years later. Its the inflation that really gets you, houses used to cost what your sports car cost then we could do all of these things we want to do.

Egypt revolt (and it succeeded) put the trip to the pyramids trip out of the question for me, as with the quoted posters trip. I feel there are better things that are in the making and yet to come...

I agree in the fact as trying to phrase it as - we shouldn't have money as a middleman. If i have to do work for money, and use money to buy goods, why not just make/grow the goods ? I sure would appreciate it more as im sure most would, if it were directly earned, without govt $ manipulation.

Dear Over140,

I wholeheartedly agree with your views on this as well my friend. Especially about how we shouldnt have money as the middleman.

What else can you share on this?

--GS

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Working is by default mankind's design. Without working, our arteries would clog up faster. As far as being wage earners, it's not the greatest of system. Perhaps, mankind was supposed to have been gardeners, cleaning up the place and such, at a leisurely pace and nothing stressful like deadlines, meetings or wars.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Again, I am NOT looking for an EXCUSE not to work! I am simply stating the the way the work is structured in today's world feels inhumane and un-natural.

And its not all about how much you make! I personally know someone who manages an entire Wells Fargo branch and makes roughly 350k net income per yr.

He gets up at 5 AM and gets home at 11 PM. This person also works Saturdays and every other Sunday too. HE HAS NO TIME to spend his money, and in fact drives a regular mid range Toyota, does not buy expensive things or live in an expensive house.

But my point is, no matter how much you make, you will still be dedicating 1/2 of your life to work, another 1/4 to sleep, and 1/4 is left for EVERYTHING else which includes errands, traffic, getting to and from work.

By the time you are 65 yrs old, you have only really LIVED for about 5 years, in which you could do what YOU WANTED to do.

---GS

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
"Do something that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life"

When you enter the workforce, you are working for someone else's benefit. YOUR gain in the "employment" is what you settle to sell a portion of your life out for. The ultimate goal of this isn't to make you financially wealthy, or even stable - it's to make your employer financially well-off....and the only cares and concerns they have regarding you are keeping you healthy enough so that you don't sue, that you are looking out for their best interests, and that you are thrown enough crumbs to hopefully develop into a more productive employee.
It is a soul draining endeavor to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet just to enjoy a few moments of "the finer things of life", knowing that the majority of the income you are earning for your employer will never reach your pockets.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

And people worked to provide for their families during the depression.

We work to provide for ourselves in current society. Is it bulls*? at times, very much so.

If you'd like to go back to farming all your own crops and livestock, feel free.

I'm not justifying the system, I'm telling you to redefine "work". If you can't stand what you do, find what you love to do. The problem isn't the system itself, never really has been; it's the corrupt power-mongers, greed and corporate filth that rob the rest of the world blind.

The world has always had to work to provide for itself, the only thing that's changed is that the input-output ratio is diminishing because of the illusion of money. With the world as it is, people as they are, there will always be a need for some medium of exchange: someone is always willing to shortchange another to get ahead. As soon as that stops all of those pipedreams people love will become a reality.

Until then, learn to work the system, rather than let it work you.
edit on 2/11/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/11/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I know what you are saying...I fully agree. Which is why I am suggesting that you make the move as soon as possible... That is why i suggested changing carreers...move to the country or to the coast or where ever you like... take your life back.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Your reply really vibed with me. I would like to hear more on how I can re-define work in my mind so that I can actually enjoy it....Ive tried positive thinking, humming tunes at work, trying to stay upbeat etc.....Also I agree that the input-output ratios diminishing are the MAIN reason that I am feeling like I am at the moment....Please share more thoughts on this friend.

Kind Regards,

GeminiSky

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I would have assume a few months ago when you posted this same topic that you would have obtained ample solutions to your dilemma. I guess not.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
I would have assume a few months ago when you posted this same topic that you would have obtained ample solutions to your dilemma. I guess not.

What thread are you referring to? and would you have anything of substance to add about the OP? or was this the usual case of "drive by trolling"
edit on 11-2-2011 by GeminiSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It's really all about finding what you love and turning it into your occupation. I work at a game development company where we spend half of our time working and half of our time playing video games. Six of us play Airsoft regularly and are in agreement, if we weren't designing games we'd probably open up an Airsoft shop and pay-to-play field; even while building custom orders and fixing guns, none of us could really call it "work"

The scut work, crappy jobs, i've always seen as simply the toll one must pay to find their goals: you have to walk through the valleys to find the mountain you want to climb.

I say all this btw, despite still having to work said crap jobs, Game company is still independent, our game without publisher and thus, no money for the time being.

Work, for the time being is a necessary evil of life, find a way not to hate it until it changes.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Actually, I don’t think “work” per say is in any way un-natural. But consider this. I believe in the future (assuming we don’t blow our selves up, get hit by a big rock from space, or just immerse our selves in our own s%&^, etc) we will “via employment” do what we actually find fun, and get paid for it. Why do people who win the lottery, or sell some neat patents, and “don’t have to worry" about money do things like give money to charity, (if they have money to burn and have SOME class) volunteer at a shelter, etc? Because ITS FULL FILLING! The goal of “progress” is to not just have more and better, or just more non-sense in the way of “stuff”. It’s to improve and enhance the human condition. Certainly there are job’s that are mind-numbingly boring, or just plain dangerous although w/respect to the adrenaline junkies, some people NEED the dangerous, but hell, no one wants to be board, or worse feel demeaned as a person.

People need, most of all to feel they are given the respect all of us must have to be happy. Thats as basic as it gets. Progress is measured by much more then how many “flip flops” a computer chip can perform.Technology, or the machinations of performing work is NOT the most critical factor. Ask anyone, in respect to to their job, “are you happy? Feel what you do is important"? The people to envy are the ones who say (and are not blowing smoke), they feel a sense of enhancement, which in time won’t be, at least it is likely to be viewed more a journey not concerned about primitive concepts like “time clocks”. Consider the people of Egypt. Ask those in the street “does what you have achieved make you happy”? What do you think… And (as far as I know…) none of the anti-Mubaric demonstrators got paid for this! They feel happy because they made a difference. And Lord, they know it!

Some of us have invented “neat stuff, etc” You know what I think was the most full filling thing I feel so happy about? Once I saved a man’s life who was in insulin shock. Working part-time as an orderly while in school, I lived next to a trailer park where a man was working under a house trailer, and it was bad. I was told he would have died if I didn’t get some glucose gel in him (the ambulance was not there, it was a remote area, and back then the cops didn’t carry basic EMT equipment like now. Any way it took them a while to get their). The next day when I dropped in on him at the hospital, he had no memory of what happened the day before. Somehow, that made it so special. Perhaps, we may all feel what we do is, if not so dramatic, gives us a warm fuzzy feeling. Thats the way it will be, in time.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I completely agree with you.

I just finished watching a few episodes of the show "Tribes" on the BBC youtube page. Now THAT is how I personally would prefer to live. Give me a grass hut, land, community, and the tools to survive with everybody working together and I'd never leave it.

We are NOT looking for an excuse to be lazy. Living like that would be anything but lazy. The fact though is, 99% of people in the USA work so they can gain more and more material possessions that mean NOTHING. This is why our planet is going nowhere in terms of spiritual development and higher consciousness. Everybody is so focused on themselves.

Until we go back to our roots, live as a tight knit community, sharing what we have and ensuring the survival and comfort of ALL, we are doomed.

I'd give up every possession I own if I could leave this place and live with a remote tribe deep away from civilization. To live the way we were supposed to live. Off the land, without destroying it. We are an absolute disgusting sight on this planet. Greedy people who have to get their hands on everything they can to grab for themselves.

I personally cannot wait till this planet is ravaged by whatever natural or unnatural disaster awaits us. It will be the only thing that will make us change our ways, to go back to our roots, and to develop in a spiritual, communal sense instead of a technological, selfish sense. If I die in such an event, so be it. I am ashamed of being a part of the human species in its current form.

Just remember, you cannot take any of your material possessions with you when you die. The most important thing in the world is learn the lessons you are meant to learn, to help others with no expectation of reward, and to develop yourself spiritually by whatever way you feel most comfortable with. Now THAT is how we should be living.
edit on 2/11/2011 by deadline527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Human life in its Egoic form has no purpose but the
search for peace and happiness. Peace and happiness
lie outside of the Egoic form. Therefore they cannot
be found in that endless search.
Animals do not have that problem.
But you cannot go back.
Forward requires facing Ego Death.
Do you really want this?
Self Transcendence can be practiced at
any time and any place, even while working.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I totaly agree with you.
we should all own some land and do the work we like.
and just a little more than we need.
so we can trade with the next farm.

we they got greedy and took it all!
no the land is dieing.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Did you think that primitive men were fed manna from heaven? If you intend to stay alive, you must find sustenance.

Sell your car, computer, clothes and CDs. Find a piece of land and till a bit of soil, or fish nearby.

Who, exactly, did you expect to maintain your lifestyle?

jw

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join