It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel like Having to Work is un-natural?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeThreeThree

Still going to college definitely pays off if you know which careers are stable and have good pay.

If you are going to college to just get an English or humanities degree then forget about it, you won't be able to market yourself with such a degree. The only jobs that will be available to you is teaching and other jobs that don't even require a degree in the first place.

Now if you go to college and get a marketable degree then you will be able to find a good job. Things aren't that bad for engineers like you said. Maybe for automotive and computer engineers but other than that all other fields of engineering are booming (chemical, biomedical, aerospace, etc.).

Now days a bachelors isn't really worth that much. You will need to find something that is secure from economic downturns. That is why going to professional school is such a good idea (doctors, pharmacists, and to a lesser extent lawyers).

The health care sector has largely been secure from the bad economy. People will always get sick and there will always be a need for doctors.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Steam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Arrrggghhh! Just work man! It helps to find the right job for yourself. Then its not work anymore but a passion. Until then: WORK. I hate people who are lazy. Not saying you are.... Start your own business. Find something you love to do and go do it as your own boss. Then let people work for you....Do good for others with the money you earn.
Give money away, buy your freedom: work is the key.

Work has always been a stability for me, its very easy to not work, stay in bed during the day, live at night, smoke weed and party every night. No not me anymore, been there done that. Life is not easy, work is a part of it. Try to find a balance between work and private life: its hard and you have to make choices.
I am proud I work all my life, very hard also. 70 hours a week sometimes more, I dont care: my fridge is full, my house is warm, my beer taste really good when I come home and I feel I deserved it today.

When your not able to work, when your sick or in trouble I understand, no hard feelings. But when your healthy, find a job, no matter what job you have to take: I respect anybody deeply going to work everyday and take care of your family. Its so, so very easy becoming a gangster and earn your money as a low life: I spit on guys like that, their no real men. Call me old fashion but I tell you everybody should work.
And ohh, almost forget, a housewife works very hard as well, staying home taking care of the kids and the household is a hell of a job!
Just my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You can still live a simple life. However you have to be willing to give up everything to do it. Work has just replaced having to do those basic things. Instead for foriging and hunting you work for money so you can pay for someone else to supply it. Trick is just finding the right job you like and can make a decent living at. I would not allow myself to work those kind of hours.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord
It really depends on what you are working towards and how you feel about your job. I think that the majority of business and enterprise are all bought up which causes an influx in entry level positions, even for people who have taken college classes at esteemed universities. I had a friend that graduated college and still had to work at wal-mart to pay off loans. It really sucks.

that is become schooling is a business for both private and governed schools. The business markets the promise of a successful future MUCH more often than it can keep that promise because it has money it has to make.

I know my patterns in this world enough to know that I would be wasting my time to even try... so I never tried very hard to win that golden career... but then every job I have ever had, even little menial tasks are important to me and I am a pretty good worker. I also thought that I would not end up in the career i had chosen anyway... because I thought there would be so much turbulence... and I was right. This is not true for all, but many times it's not what you know but who you know. I look around and it seems I don't know anyone. one paper it seems I don't know anything. Where do I belong? I often feel it isn't here, or perhaps it is... for now. It's not that i wasn't concerned with survival... but i seem to be more interested in where the wind blows.... and no, that has nothing to do with wind. So many times i have had thought "I just wish someone would tell me what I am supposed to do from here" and to some that would seem preposterous! ...as in "WHAT...Let others dictate your life? Why would you do that it doesn't seem like you"...It isn't really in most regards... but perhaps in some small important way it is precisely what I need to know. Direction... and not just any direction. I will know the appropriate direction when I am shown it. That's hard for some to understand. It has even been hard for me to understand but thank god I don't have student loans.

Sometimes my life feels like I am sitting in a big room with people who know things and they keep making teasing taunting inuendos but never give an ounce of truth the real conversation.... and they keep teasing and taunting because they expect me to start the conversation about facts only they have "actual" access to... and since I am so tired of any and all ideals being scoffed at and being wary of my own misunderstandings to the point of very reasonable caution... the room goes silent, nothing is accomplished and all go home scratching their heads. These are not normal feeling... but for me they are PRECISELY normal.

Basically it boils down to this. First show me a glimpse of something real and if you are confused about the definition of real then I'm probably not talking to you in the first place so no need to chime in... Show me a glimpse of truth because I have absolutely no intentions of play pretending this game of life. I'd rather sit like a stone cold statue doing nothing but thumbing through the pages of my mind. I'm certainly not against trying hard for things, but in my life's patterns... "attempts" become designs of failure because of the contacts of certain others in my life. To some... it is "surrender" that my life's work should be. Complete surrender and desperation. That is actually not what I was supposed to learn so instead I turned and applied it to the world that was trying to teach that to me. In essence, I "give up" on those who try to teach me this notion. I am not one to give up really. It's annoying trying to explain my conflicting behaviors.

... but back to the post I am replying to... In sort of the same way, the person who now works at walmart and has student loans that they will find very difficult to charge off even if they are completely broke... they were tricked, they were taught a losing psychology. The bad part is that it works for some, therefore it is expected to apply to all. it's not fair. people SHOULD be giving up on many parts of the system... and they do, but in failure they often let it get them and they turn on themselves feeling like failures... and they shouldn't. it's a game that some simply cannot win. Try any other game before you let this system make you call yourself a failure. There is certainly no way all can win the same game... and those who push schooling off onto people will have everyone that walks into their office believe that they will win that game. It's false hope, they know it, they can't admit. Why? Their asses are tied to their jobs.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
You are exactly right! When I've sat and read all the anti-American, anti-government/establishment threads/posts here on ATS, I've thought then what the heck was the purpose of wiping out the Native culture off the face of the Earth for? They did have it right. But that's "advancement" and "technology" . I once read a book called "Earth Abides" and in it human civilization ultimately went back to the culture of Native Americans; that type of life. I'm so sick of people with their big complaint that "we as Americans need to revolt against the system." I have to shake my head at that, what you people are asking for is to revert back to simpler times, really.

edit on 12-2-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

What would have happened if the Spanish would have been smart enough to realize the natives were the care takers of the world.

Step forward and they have the final vote on technology and how it is used.
First off they know (or knew) how to survive on this planet and respect mother nature. Animals, water, air etc.

I had a professor tell me one time, we meaning us, only understand 10% of the technology we have and I believe it.

The native cultures understand 100% of their technology and environment.

I think you can have technology mesh with nature and natural living, but technology has to be in harmony with nature. As it exists now, we force technology on nature and bend nature to our will, and that is mostly due to corporate greed and impatience.

Take any one person and say, hey, I can give you the same technology, you might have to wait a few months longer or it might be slightly more expensive, but it will do the same thing and it will preserve you, me and our forchildren into the future and 99% of the people would say yes. The other 1% are the CEO's of Goldman Sachs, AEG and the like

Unfortunately the governments around the world are sided with the greedy corporate minions, or are takers themselves as is the case of China and its role in Africa right now.

Pretty disturbing what China is doing to Africa as we synthetically speak.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlin
Arrrggghhh! Just work man! It helps to find the right job for yourself. Then its not work anymore but a passion. Until then: WORK. I hate people who are lazy. Not saying you are.... Start your own business. Find something you love to do and go do it as your own boss. Then let people work for you....Do good for others with the money you earn.
Give money away, buy your freedom: work is the key.

Work has always been a stability for me, its very easy to not work, stay in bed during the day, live at night, smoke weed and party every night. No not me anymore, been there done that. Life is not easy, work is a part of it. Try to find a balance between work and private life: its hard and you have to make choices.
I am proud I work all my life, very hard also. 70 hours a week sometimes more, I dont care: my fridge is full, my house is warm, my beer taste really good when I come home and I feel I deserved it today.

When your not able to work, when your sick or in trouble I understand, no hard feelings. But when your healthy, find a job, no matter what job you have to take: I respect anybody deeply going to work everyday and take care of your family. Its so, so very easy becoming a gangster and earn your money as a low life: I spit on guys like that, their no real men. Call me old fashion but I tell you everybody should work.
And ohh, almost forget, a housewife works very hard as well, staying home taking care of the kids and the household is a hell of a job!
Just my 2 cents

yep fair enough.
i just cant work my trades job cuz i have major back issues... dont know if i can go back to it ever again

now i dont know what kind of job i want to do that doesnt involve to much physical labour.... i realize that probably means going to university... i just dont know what i want to do..

you say "start your own company" this is probably the only solution i have...... i know its not a realistic solution for everyone... but it's just a matter of working harder and working smarter than others...

if you have good ideas and motivation, id say my own company would be the way to go..

now... i just need to make this company about something... hmm.. brb...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomeBrew
Regardless of how you go about it, one must always 'work' for food, shelter, safety, ect. It's as natural as breathing. So, no. I do not feel it's un-natural in the slightest.

? what a dork.

no . all necesaties of life should be equally free to all.
warmth,shelter,food,clothing.

BECAUSE YOU ARE LIFE!

if you want luxury, LABOR

this mental state people are in. where their spite rules the way the see reality. "oh i have to work so you have to as well" fkn prison theory 101. you people make me sick!. working is a joke. and those who give them selves up to it are jokes also. wtf is the point what are you building. what are you developing. what are you doing thats actually so great its worth risking life and limb over a packet of money that will just be taken off you as fast as you go it, just so u can go do it a little but harder than last week..

fools.

this world is #ed beause of it.!
edit on 12/2/2011 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

And who pays for that ??

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashyr
[
? what a dork.

BECAUSE YOU ARE LIFE!

So - if nobody works - who is going to make your free clothing, grow you free food, build you that free shelter, and provide you free heat?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Work is quite normal in my eyes. Some people like the physical stuff, others prefer to sit in an office. But, even if you live off the land, you will be working, that's a guarantee.

But, now we get to the parts of the system that aren't right. Working for cheap people who only want to look after themselves, and don't take care of their employees. This is wrong. Having to pay Federal taxes, which don't go to anything of importance to us. More or less just going into someone's pocket, fattening the central banks. This is wrong. American jobs getting shipped overseas to save money, bad business. Buying most of our stuff from China, bad business. See, we've cut our manufacturing jobs down by doing stuff like this. Is China buying stuff made here? Unfair trade. Companies are thinking more about their wallets than the longevity of the system, and not looking at the results of their actions.

Honestly though, find something you like doing. If living off the land is your preference, you can still do that to a large degree. Find a job or start a business that you feel good about doing.

You are going to be working no matter what, even if it is just mental work, and desk work like writer. Work has always been part of the equation, whether you are hunting your meal with a rifle, or making car parts at the factory. But, I do realize a lot of the system is not right, but we can change that.

Troy

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

Capitalism is a great system but if the monopoly board is not reset once and a while 1 person ends up with everything and everybody else does not stand a chance.
edit on 11-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

You know I never thought of it that way. Eventually in every society, one group of individuals end up with all the wealth.

Now I am by no means thinking these people are evil or undeserving- yes some of them are handed their wealth through family or status, but some earn it via intelligence or hard work. (Bill Gates).

But I think you have a point in saying there needs to be a reset button. However I think this 'reset' button may be an automatic response by the people of the society whenever too much wealth is owned by too small a percent of the population...there is always some sort of revolt/rebellion against those in power and the average joe takes it back.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroyHonestly though, find something you like doing.

That might not be so easy for some people. maybe something they "like" but not what makes them feel a true sense of accomplishment, but it is good advice none the less to pursue.
It shouldn't be about the most money or the most powerful or influential position... you should simply enjoy it because it will be a long term part of your life.

I have asked myself that question and it turns out that I like doing all sorts of things. As long as I can live off of what I do, I'm fine with that, but I am much more concerned with not being so attached to materiel aspects like this job or that job so that I can explore where other parts of my life are leading me.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashyr

Originally posted by HomeBrew
Regardless of how you go about it, one must always 'work' for food, shelter, safety, ect. It's as natural as breathing. So, no. I do not feel it's un-natural in the slightest.

? what a dork.

BECAUSE YOU ARE LIFE!

this mental state people are in. where their spite rules the way the see reality. "oh i have to work so you have to as well" fkn prison theory 101. you people make me sick!. working is a joke. and those who give them selves up to it are jokes also. wtf is the point what are you building. what are you developing. what are you doing thats actually so great its worth risking life and limb over a packet of money that will just be taken off you as fast as you go it, just so u can go do it a little but harder than last week..

fools.

this world is #ed beause of it.!
edit on 12/2/2011 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

I understand what you are saying because this planet can provide so much for us that there is no excuse for some to horde it all and tell others they don't deserve it unless they pay. there are homeless people in this world and everywhere they go they are told to leave because they don't own anything... they don't have a home to go to to call their own so they hide on 'someone else's" property until they are told to leave... and certainly not all of them deserve it so yes, the system is #ed because what is that person supposed to do? disappear? go to space and stake a claim on land out there somewhere? we are all citizens of earth but we do not treat each other that way.

yet, still...work is fullfilling when you are actually accomplishing something. you may be working for a goal that has nothing to do with money. You may be working for a better end. That is nothing to sneeze at... even if you don't seem to HAVE to do it. Let's say we are all here on earth living together and enjoying all the food that grows and what-not and then one guy is like "I'm going to build a telescope" No one wants to help him because it is work but he does it anyway not expecting any type of reward and find that there is an asteroid that is going to careening with the earth shortly if he doesn't find a way to stop it... and now he has ideas to do so but needs help and no one is willing to help him because all have turned against work ethics. Wouldn't that be a bummer?

Again... I understand what you are saying but work is good. It's a noble effort. Even if you are unemployed and not earning money there are still things you can do to contribute. I'm not saying sell your soul, but it's good to contribute. It is one of our best qualities. many humans truly enjoy accomplishing things but yes, the system taints that with greed and we get trapped into doing things that don't really accomplish anything at all and this is something we really should try to change even if it means a good reckless shakedown of the whole system.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
For those that answered yes to the OP...

Well, I venture to say you are all younger?
You want everything given to you without you having to shed one drop of sweat. If you want anything, you have to work for it.

Jeez, if people would have taken your stance hundreds of years ago (longer as well) then people would have frozen to death and/or starved to death.

Plain and simple laziness. You want it all but don't want to exert an energy to get it. You expect things to be handed to you?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I totally understand what you are saying. But working is part of the freedoms you enjoy in life. If noone worked then you wouldnt have fuel for your car, you wouldnt have food to eat, you wouldnt have films to watch or the internet, Technology wouldnt progress. Where would you go for health care. You know what Im saying. Its all OK living alone and being self sustainable until you need something that someone else has that you dont. I know that sometimes work is a drag but if everyone chips in and works together then I think everyone will live a lot more happily than they would do in self isolation.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
on the other hand;

having it all is a state of mind.

work is good, crappy life is not.

www.youtube.com...

where i live now, i asked, in job interview, "what are my hours?"

he said i had monday off.

lol, i used to get ot after 40 and double time on holidays.
edit on 12-2-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I hear ya...also, i don't know how you get to work, but I usually get there by subway. Every morning I just look around in the faces of the people around me (including my own reflection in the window) and I see a bunch of folks, who know they are going to spend the next few hours doing something they dislike (at the very least). Does this feel natural? Not one bit.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I be honest i don't think any thing in this day and age feels natural or
enjoyable i feel like i belong 100 years ago i hate the age we live in.

the only thing that i like doing is illegal OR SO IM TOLD!!!!

like who the hell tells me how to live my life? stuff the laws
in fact stuff society! if you do not conform to the stereo typical
person your viewed as some anti establishment nut!

well i do want to pick out my own plot of land and say THATS MINE
and build me house grow me own veg and shoot me own game.

for god sake work seems so futile! to what end? for what?
more & more people are seeing that the law has been snuck into every
part of there life and there is nothing they can do now. i say Fk the law!

do not even get me started on the whole dating thing FIND LOVE .COM?? WTF?
folk just do not talk anymore.sad so so sad.
sorry was i ranting? i'm mad you see.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by eNumbra
Working is only "unnatural" when you aren't enjoying it.

Find your passion, turn a profit, never hate your job again.

edit to add:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura
I be honest i don't think any thing in this day and age feels natural or
enjoyable i feel like i belong 100 years ago i hate the age we live in.

the only thing that i like doing is illegal OR SO IM TOLD!!!!

like who the hell tells me how to live my life? stuff the laws
in fact stuff society! if you do not conform to the stereo typical
person your viewed as some anti establishment nut!

well i do want to pick out my own plot of land and say THATS MINE
and build me house grow me own veg and shoot me own game.

for god sake work seems so futile! to what end? for what?
more & more people are seeing that the law has been snuck into every
part of there life and there is nothing they can do now. i say Fk the law!

do not even get me started on the whole dating thing FIND LOVE .COM?? WTF?
folk just do not talk anymore.sad so so sad.
sorry was i ranting? i'm mad you see.

If that is what you want and you are ready to provide for yourself off land... why the hell not? You might go off to your land and get away from society and the system just to find peace for yourself and who knows what turn your life might take. Some very important person may be on a journey and be tired cold and hungry and you may bring them into your home for a meal and then they go on their way to do something that changes the entire world. It takes those who can't stand the system to change the system. Nothing wrong with that. It's being more of a deficit than any sort of assistance that willingly- is a shame and unwillingly, is a burden to the conscious to not do one's part... or perhaps even the subconscious. Earning your own keep is the fulfilling part and that doesn't seem to be the part you hate.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join