It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant rats lead scientists to ancient face carvings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Giant rats lead scientists to ancient face carvings

www.csiro.au

Ancient stone faces carved into the walls of a well-known limestone cave in East Timor have been discovered by a team searching for fossils of extinct giant rats.

“I shone the torch around and saw a whole panel of engraved prehistoric human faces on the wall of the cave.

The Lene Hara carvings, or petroglyphs, are frontal, stylised faces each with eyes, a nose and a mouth. One has a circular headdress with rays that frame the face.

No other petroglyphs of faces are known to exist
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.upi.com

Posted at 8:19 here too www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=10555003#pid10555003
edit on 11-2-2011 by BenIndaSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I thought this story was really cool. With all of our technology, google earth, and 6 billion inhabitants there is still much to be discovered. Even the locals did not know of these faces.

They don't have the date yet, but it is their next goal to find out when they were carved. Not sure what it means, but the Lene Hara petroglyphs are the only examples that have been dated to the Pleistocene.

Pleistocene has been dated from 2.588 million (±5,000 years) to 12,000 years before present (BP)
Wikipedia Pleistocene

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/53a74624eab9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2259bc514c8c.jpg[/atsimg]

www.csiro.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-2-2011 by BenIndaSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hivemind has begun

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Welcome to group telepathy people

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
wow lovely find..
kx

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Crud now I don't know who to reply to! Dual with pistols?

Anyway this is awesome! They remind me of some of the petroglyph's I've seen in California.I wonder if this is a collective subconscious deal or if there are some genuine clues to early migration patterns here.

I can't wait until they get some dates!

I just noticed the same posts are in different forums and one is breaking alternative news, Mods will leave both up...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is some Indiana Jones stuff.

Next they'll use the carvings as a clue to beat the Nazis to the Ark of the Covenant and save the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Something that never escapes me... Since I saw a map showing how Australia. PNG and Indonesia were connected with grasslands in-between about 12,000 years ago there would have been quite a gathering of mixed races / cultures in the area.. and again 5000 years ago the Arafure Sea was almost all land. The tribal people in the whole area would have been mixed.

I'm not sure if Australian aboriginals ever made carvings like that though. I wonder how they dated it as 10,000 years ago. They'd have to guess. Even rock paintings can't be dated accurately.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

carbon-14 dating of course

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by Jinglelord

Something that never escapes me... Since I saw a map showing how Australia. PNG and Indonesia were connected with grasslands in-between about 12,000 years ago there would have been quite a gathering of mixed races / cultures in the area.. and again 5000 years ago the Arafure Sea was almost all land. The tribal people in the whole area would have been mixed.

I'm not sure if Australian aboriginals ever made carvings like that though. I wonder how they dated it as 10,000 years ago. They'd have to guess. Even rock paintings can't be dated accurately.

it says here
______beforeitsnews/story/412/610/Giant_Rats_Lead_Scientists_To_Pleistocene_Face_Carvings,_12,000_Year_Old_Art_Astounds.html

Uranium isotope dating by colleagues at the University of Queensland revealed the ‘sun ray’ face to be around 10,000 to 12,000 years old, placing it in the late Pleistocene. The other faces could not be dated but are likely to be equally ancient.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The finding and the claims of the finding are spectacular! My intuition is telling me it's simply a depiction of a human face with eyes, nose, mouth and hair.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It baffles me how there would be some material to date. I can see how pigment used in painting can be dated but even that is guess work, only trusted if there is some corroborating evidence.

What can they test?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDebunkMachine
carbon-14 dating of course

Can't carbon date rocks only life forms

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

yes carbon dating is only for organic particles, but there are other methods to measure and date minerals and rock.

Isotope geochemistry is an aspect of geology based upon study of the relative and absolute concentrations of the elements and their isotopes in the Earth. Variations in the abundance of these isotopes, typically measured with an isotope ratio mass spectrometer or an accelerator mass spectrometer, can reveal information about the age of a rock or the source of air or water. Isotope ratios can even shed light on chemical processes in the atmosphere. Broadly, the field of isotope geochemistry is divided into two branches: stable and radiogenic isotope geochemistry.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 052828p://2011-02-12T05:04:34-06:00201102 by bladdersweat because: whee!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
i find it amazing that the more technologically advanced we humans become, the ability to save hard information diminishes. i seriously doubt our books, scrolls, cassattes, vhs, dvd, floppys, harddrives will be staying intact for very long periods of time. much less our almighty servers and online storage. the halflife on our delicate digital machines is quite short compared to this stone art. a very old information system, but quite reliable.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

Hence the term, "carved in stone".

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

I suspect anyone who was carving in stone was also making more complex and more informative artwork / info sharing with pigments on animal hides, leaves, wood etc.. Things that didn't last and that we will never know about. If you look around you will see we are still making stone engravings, statues and more durable works to leave behind. But just like every other culture in history all of our "Easy" communication and art will likely be eaten by time leaving behind only pieces and parts that future people will speculate wildly on...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Good find OP.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41f17bbfb0d6.jpg[/atsimg]

ancientcivilitazionandufo.blogspot.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bff370877ba.jpg[/atsimg]

www.sciencedaily.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d5cc4a6be96.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 2/14/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/14/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: photo credits

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
Crud now I don't know who to reply to! Dual with pistols?

Anyway this is awesome! They remind me of some of the petroglyph's I've seen in California.I wonder if this is a collective subconscious deal or if there are some genuine clues to early migration patterns here.

I can't wait until they get some dates!

I just noticed the same posts are in different forums and one is breaking alternative news, Mods will leave both up...

I'm certain they had a connection but the people involved may nor resemble (any more) the people who claim these carvings

top topics

join