It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Produce Cost Triple Over Night!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
www.kgw.com...

I have not seen this on MSM sites yet, just on the local news site.

Get ready to pay double or even triple the price for fresh produce in the coming weeks after the worst freeze in 60 years damaged and wiped out entire crops in northern Mexico and the southwestern U.S.

"Increase, increase, increase," said produce manager Troy Winterhalter as he watched urgent messages coming across his laptop computer. "Peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, asparagus, the entire asparagus crop was wiped out," said Winterhalter.

Roma tomatoes have more than doubled in price since Thursday and very soon they may not be available at all.

About the only produce not impacted by the freeze in the coming weeks are things grown right here in the Northwest like potatoes, onions and apples.

The situation is so dire, some stores can't honor certain advertised prices, which were ordered in local newspapers long before the freeze.

Apparently the freeze was so bad that in many cases where a freeze or frost might damage a small portion of the crops... this one has literally wiped out entire regions.

This comes back to back with a deep freeze in California in the middle of January that severely damaged that regions crops, which caused produce to increase.

Next week, lettuce and spinach prices are expected to rise. Normal prices likely won't return until new crops in Mexico start producing again in late March and early April.

edit on Fri Feb 11 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: spelling in title

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Wow, well here in Oregon I just paid 3.26 for gas and went to the grocery store for fruit and veggies. I bought 2 good sized organic tomatoes and at the register they(2) came up as $11.25
I returned them, too much!
Time to get my own garden plot working again.

peace,
spec
edit on 11-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Who needs any of that.... just stock up on large quanitys of sprouts and your set!
I just did alot of research the last week and ordered a bunch. Sprouts do truely seem like a super food... and you can grow year round in colder regions!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Damn that Global Warming [/sarcasm]
I know the shills will come out and say "it is climate change". It is bs pure and simple. I would more likely believe that the ice age is beginning again. Irregardless, man has little to no appreciable impact on weather.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I read about this yesterday. Cysco foods has sent out a warning to it customers saying that they may not be able to deliver as Florida was hit first and Mexico was the back up.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I hate going to the store any more - so difficult to find good food for the right price.My grocery list is sitting right here so I guess I will cross off the tomatos. $11.25 for 2 organic tomatos - unbelieveable!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Get the poor mans survival kit: Big bags of ( 20 - 25lb) 1 rice, 1 beans, 1 flour, 1 sugar, 1 pasta,
about $60.00 total, at present prices. Some multi-vits and minerals too.

Should feed a family of 4 for a month or more easy, peace of mind on the cheap.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Slan1

That's a good idea - I always buy a lot of rice, beans and veggies. Guess I will have to cut back on the veggies for a while. What do you do with the flour and sugar on your list - make a cake:puz

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I have to go to stock up the survival stock so I'm going to check out the produce prices here in Michigan. I might buy some and then sell them like crack next week.

It'll probably be like any other commodity or food prices - it'll never quite go back down to where it was before the spike. Like we don't notice.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Damn that Global Warming [/sarcasm]
I know the shills will come out and say "it is climate change". It is bs pure and simple. I would more likely believe that the ice age is beginning again. Irregardless, man has little to no appreciable impact on weather.

Damn you! You stole my idea for a post! I thought of it first!

Yeah actually what's really happening is that it is SO HOT because of global warming, that our bodies, thermometers, and produce can't even register that kind of heat, so they register it as cold and freeze. It's a conspiracy.

Another reason I can't stand the "try to convert you" vegetarians. They even say themselves that a vegetarians diet needs to be well thought out and varied, well good for you if your so rich you can can afford ridiculous produce prices. Try thinking of people not as financially blessed, or even those in areas where a massive variety and quantity of veggies aren't available. I'm not even going to get into the nuts that think we shouldn't be eating any cereal grains either, as evidently humans are most healthy when living off leaves and shrubs.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I live in Florida and do a lot of work for them (contract/accounting) and I can tell you they were wiped out by 3 freezes by December, also corn,oranges,beans and sugar were destroyed by the coildest and earliest freezes in lifetimes.
So naturally, with supply gone prices have increased dramaticly.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
CD

Make bread, fry bread, biscuits, gravy, sugar for tea, coffee, etc...

Sugar is good cheap energy.

You can make your own homeade yeast too

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slan1
Get the poor mans survival kit: Big bags of ( 20 - 25lb) 1 rice, 1 beans, 1 flour, 1 sugar, 1 pasta,
about $60.00 total, at present prices. Some multi-vits and minerals too.

Should feed a family of 4 for a month or more easy, peace of mind on the cheap.

Australias sugar, wheat and banana crop have been wiped out also Chinas wheat crop, Floods in Pakistan have wiped out the rice crop, I've been storing like a hampster ever since Russian banned exports of esential foods after their heat wave a few months ago. God help us all - am I pleased I planted that veg garden up this year.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
$11.25 for 2 organic tomatoes? man! that is insane and a rippoff! Ita amazing! how things that were natural, were man-buisiness-corporate manipulated and altered genetically, becaem the most affordable to buy without costing an arm and a leg. that is amazing..$11.25 for 2 tomatoes..how things are supposed to be, and things that are not cost less yet most available.
I work for a cvs. today, we were told, hours would be cut back drastically, southwest CT, due too investors wanting more money. Manager mentioned something along the lines of inventory was done past month or so throughout the chain of stores, state by state. Any money lsot, pro in the millions, they want it back..so they cut the emplyees hours. The thing is, they hire illegals, whom ive seen and known to steal in the first place, they get promoted, the hard working honest at heart ones dont have a chance, only to punish everyone. Cost of food is rising, jobs have been outsourced..makes me think sooner or later, man altered genticaly changed food will cost an arm and a leg too. gas here is about $3.54 gallon. Highest i know of, 4 or 5 days ago, shell gas station...was $3.57 a gallon. oil is over $100 a barrell again...remember few years ago, when gas was near $5.00 a gallon? here we go again!!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My local grade a/shopright market, usually has store brand boneless chicken breast, it seems on teusdays and thursdays sometimes, for $1.99 a lb. you get about 5-6 nice sized bonelss skinned breasts. About 3 weeks ago, they put a new brand in, same price on sale, but you get less--like 4 breasts, not as big. They seem to rotate it i guess. noramlly, its like $3. something a lb.! over simple things like chicken it costs so much! its about the same price, as a london broil!!! thats like $7-$9 a steak! thats the price not ons ale, for the boneless chicken

Yeah, they have skin breasts, chicken wings and legs ( yuck) which is cheaper but thiers not as much meat on them

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Ita amazing! how things that were natural, were man-buisiness-corporate manipulated and altered genetically, becaem the most affordable to buy without costing an arm and a leg. that is amazing..$11.25 for 2 tomatoes..how things are supposed to be, and things that are not cost less yet most available.

That's the whole idea behind genetically engineered food, it's more economical because you can grow more of it faster, and less of it spoils.

Originally posted by ziggy1706
The thing is, they hire illegals, whom ive seen and known to steal in the first place, they get promoted, the hard working honest at heart ones dont have a chance, only to punish everyone.

Report them. I'm serious, I would if I was working there. Unless you are one of the people that support illegal aliens from stealing our jobs. Yeah, they only take the jobs Americans won't do, like working in supermarkets. Yup, no Americans would work in supermarkets.

edit on 11-2-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here is the truth about gasoline pricing....

It is pegged to the dollar, but, not how you think it is.

Gasoline has always really been pegged to gold and silver; example back in the late 1950s a gallon of gas could be had for a silver quarter, and a silver quarter followed gas values per gallon faithly ever since (except for a few artificial spikes.)

About a year ago a silver quarter was (melt valued) at about $2.50 same as a gallon of gas.

Today GAS pg is about $3.00 to $3.50 nationwide, But, that same quarter now has a melt value of $5.26.

You do the math.... the only thing that will keep gas down this summer is a fall in the melt value of any old US silver coinage.

Because that and gold is what is the only real value that is pegged to inflated US paper money.
One should use it as a gauge to real inflation.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slan1
CD

Make bread, fry bread, biscuits, gravy, sugar for tea, coffee, etc...

Sugar is good cheap energy.

You can make your own homeade yeast too

You mean capturing wild yeast from the air? I made some home-brew with wild yeast I caught, didn't turn out to good lol. Can bread really be made with wild yeast? I guess I don't see why it couldn't, all you need is the Co2 from the yeast farts. I'm really curious how this would turn out, maybe it's time for an experiment.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well, check out starter yeasts (sourdough and others) on the net.

Or pop for a good bread yeast at the store for about a buck.... and when you need it in future,
start it, and keep extending it with sugar, water and flour. Temp control is important tho....

After all it is just a simple culture medium...
edit on 11-2-2011 by Slan1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Slan1

I always do a yeast starter when pitching in my homebrew, just never even thought about using wild yeast with bread though... very interesting. And I feel like a complete idiot now too, because obviously back in the day they didn't have little packets of dry bread yeast to use LOL!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join