learn more

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is a toughy..

I could never agree with banning alcohol, mostly because the majority of the people that drink don't cause any problems, so why should they go without their tipple just coz some folk get violent or addicted to it. However, I do get worried by the glamorizing of booze in the media. Basically telling peeps that it's cool to get fwarked up etc. Comedians/celebs that advertise the grain or the grape are scum in my opinion, but the brewers know how to sell hey. All booze advertising should absolutely be banned. In the UK the booze ads are always the best/funniest, and obviously very effective at selling a potentially very destructive drug.

I just feel really uncomfortable with the government telling me what I can and can't do with my body. Surely their job is to do the admin (leave the education to people without vested interests: WHO are obviously compromised and not to be trusted). Their moral views are irrelevant. This is the problem. They overestimate their mandate. They think they are some kind of parental organization that have the right to tell us how to live.

I love the Maryj. When I have it I never even want a beer (and I love beer). When I have it I'm a much nicer, less obnoxious person. When I have it I am a loving, understanding, compassionate person. When I don't have it I drink and am a bit of a mouthy, hard ass bastard. my ex wife and prior to her my ex gf who I was with for 5 years used to encourage me to smoke. Both said that I was so lovely when I was stoned (I never had a violence problem, by the way) . Yes, this may mean that I'm a bit loony but surely a drug that makes you a good person should be encouraged by our governments and health advisory orgs much more than a drug that makes you more likely to have an accident,be obnoxious, miss work through a hangover, pee yourself, shag people that you never would if you were stoned or sober, gamble the housekeeping money, crash your car, say bad stuff to your mother in law, spew up etc etc etc.......Booze is fun, but it's very overrated. And the day after is often a real downer.

To finish, no drug should be illegal, no drug should be glamorised, but all drugs should be talked about openly and accepted as a form of escapism essential for many humans. Everybody reacts differently to drugs. For example, I did a lot of acid as a youngster. A couple of my mates never came back. They work, they eat, excrete, breed etc but they never should have done the gear. They aint well people and their lives have suffered because we liked the red dragons and purple ohms. If they were told the risks by people that knew rather than people that knew f all then maybe they would have never got into it or maybe stopped at the first warning signs. Same goes with a couple of mates that are chronic alcoholics. Beer was cool and the right thing to do after we picked up our minimum wages on a friday afternoon. Their lives are as good as hellish now. I've known heroin users that worked hard and have led productive, decent lives but I've also know heroin users that were a mess. Don't blame the drug, blame the system that doesn't educate people and tell them the risks in an honest, open way, with no hidden agendas. Blame the system that punishes people for escapism.

Drugs are not the problem. The system is the problem. Rubbish education is the problem.

Alcohol aint some drug of the devil. Leave it alone. Blame your leaders/teachers.......

By the way: I had a few whiskeys tonight. Couldn't get hold of any herb. Sorry for bad grammar or whatever......

edit on 12-2-2011 by lazernation because: Shpellinggggzzzzzz

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lazernation
Yes, this may mean that I'm a bit loony but surely a drug that makes you a good person should be encouraged by our governments and health advisory orgs much more than a drug that makes you more likely to have an accident,be obnoxious, miss work through a hangover, pee yourself, shag people that you never would if you were stoned or sober, gamble the housekeeping money, crash your car, say bad stuff to your mother in law, spew up etc etc etc.......Booze is fun, but it's very overrated. And the day after is often a real downer.

It seems unfortunate to me that you need a substance organic or otherwise (crutch) you think "Makes you a good person."

Regarding Alcohol:
It doesn't "give" you anything, it takes away. Alcohol doesn't empower, it destroys. Simply put, it doesn't "release inhibitions" it mires rational thinking. Some may think the damage goes away once the 'hangover' is over. But the damage never, ever truly subsides. The ill effects are cumulative.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as a Holy Roller, trust me I'm not. I just can't stand idly by when I see misinformation strewn about. I am seeing a lot in this thread.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Good..another report stating the obvious.
just to add to this chat, there was another report on the dangers of alcohol a couple of months back.. I just happen to have a link to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack, according to a study published in medical journal the Lancet.

The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former UK chief drugs adviser who was sacked by the government in October 2009.

It ranks 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Unfortunate or not my brother,

reality is reality. I work very hard. I'd rather not. Herb, beer, whatever softens the blow. And when the blow is softer, I be a better human. I aint alone brother.

In fact I'd guess that you mate are in the minority........

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This will be tedious and slow but I will post some interesting links related to alcohol and crime statistics for you to view and decide for yourself the correct place alcohol has among other drugs used in this society.

www.keithsuter.com...

In the United States, there is a great deal of media attention to crime associated with illicit drug use. However, more crime is committed under the influence of alcohol than under the influence of all the illegal drugs combined

bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...

On an average day in 1996 corrections officers supervised an estimated 5.3 million convicted offenders. Nearly 2 million (about 36%) had been drinking alcohol when they committed their conviction offense.

www.drugwarfacts.org...

Alcohol is neurotoxic to brain development, leading to structural hippocampal changes in adolescence, and to reduced brain volume in middle age.
Alcohol is a dependence-producing drug, similar to other substances under international control...

www.alcoholandcrime.org...

40% of state prisoners convicted of violent crimes were under the influence of alcohol at the time of their offense − the more violent the crime, the greater the likelihood that alcohol was involved

The issue of alcohol misuse and crime impacts not just offenders and their victims. Spouses, friends, family, employers, and communities all struggle with both the human and the economic toll of alcohol misuse. The trickle-down effect is staggering.

edit on 12-2-2011 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yeah, and over drinking is totally unavoidable!
I have no sympathy for people that over indulge in booze. My own father is an alcoholic, and I can honestly say that I am not sorry for him, or anyone else that is not able to pull away from it or any other substance.

Personally, I feel that anyone that dies from over-use, or over-does, should not be hear, and the world is probably better off anyway. Don't punish the masses because a few can't handle something. Maybe if we give them MORE alcohol, then the idiots will waste away while the smart ones will move ahead and progress. We worry too much about protecting people from things that we have negated the laws of nature. In order for the human species to advance beyond the stagnation we have hit lately, we MUST allow people to screw up and pass on. Otherwise we are going to keep letting the idiots prosper and repopulate.

I know this sounds very mean. However, it is completely necessary for us to be a better society in the end. And, yes, in this case the ends to justify the means.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

reply to post by kinda kurious
In fact I'd guess that you mate are in the minority........

Perhaps especially because "all the cool kids are doing it." In this case minority works for me bro. Each to his own.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I like the point you bring up about marijuana. It's ridiculous how a plant that's beneficial to those who are terminally ill (and bored lol) is illegal (in most cases) while a drug such as alcohol has been proven to be more destructive than crack.

Although, does that mean it should be outlawed? Absolutely not. You as the individual have a choice of poisoning yourself or not. It should be up to you, not the government.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
With the unemployment numbers rising , more people may turn to drink, causing more problems f . It's a vicious cycle . I grew up in Ireland, one of the top drinking nations , but I hardly touch the stuff , I've seen what it does to people , especially those of us who experienced homelessness and people who still are homeless , it so sad seeing people hooked on booze .People are killing themselves slowly.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I like the point you bring up about marijuana. It's ridiculous how a plant that's beneficial to those who are terminally ill (and bored lol) is illegal (in most cases) while a drug such as alcohol has been proven to be more destructive than crack.

Although, does that mean it should be outlawed? Absolutely not. You as the individual have a choice of poisoning yourself or not. It should be up to you, not the government.

Yes, I agree with you ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT on this issue, and in fact to me, this is one of the most INCREDIBLE and disgusting premises of just how ENTIRELY ENSLAVED we are as a species---When a grown human adult has a GOVERNMENT dictate to he /she what they CAN and CAN NOT put in their own body, that should tell us all just how "free" we truly are.

You can not even decide what you can put in your own body without facing IMPRISONMENT. Very few people actually THINK about this closely. And they even bleat on about how "free" we all are.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

yes alcohol is bad for u but its not if u know how to drink responsible and yes there has only been 1 death i have ever heard of from smokin marijuana and the guy had a gas mask with a tube connected to it he choked to death on his own saliva cuz he couldnt get the mask off

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Marijuana is illegal not because what it does to u its because the government can't make a profit from it

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
Marijuana is illegal not because what it does to u its because the government can't make a profit from it

You are 100% correct.

I love these marijuana debates, it really brings out the uneducated people that never touched a joint but feel they have a valid opinion.

I lol'd at the idiot on the first page that said marijuana makes people crazy, sounds like he picked that up straight from reefer madness.

If you dont smoke weed, 1 i don't want to know you, 2 I don't care what your opinion on weed is because your stupid, 3 your missing out on life and I dont want to be a part of it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

So a proper education now involves learning to roll a joint?

Marijuana is not conducive to being productive, more couches get warn out from the herb than anything else. I'm not opposed to the stuff personally but in my experience it isn't very much fun and just makes people lazy. Of course there are exceptions and I've known functional addicts of every variety, but you can't say that a person is always better because they are users.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

It's still a Federal crime everywhere. Since it competes with interstate commerce, they claim to have authority.
Which is BS, and the very reason of the interstate commerce clause was to prevent that reasoning.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

IIRC, it was some guy in Canada who ingested large amounts of Marijuana oils. He claimed they cured his cancer.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

This is a toughy..

I could never agree with banning alcohol, mostly because the majority of the people that drink don't cause any problems, so why should they go without their tipple just coz some folk get violent or addicted to it.

Then by that logic, coc aine, heroin, and smack should be legalized. Some people use it daily and have no probs with it......

Does that make sense?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Wow, pretty much every piece of Federal propaganda lies about Cannabis in one post.

I've never actually called someone a government shill, but I'm sorely tempted in your case.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by Doomzilla

No but i have heard of people being killed over selling it in the wrong places, or people getting killed over 40 bucks they owed to a dealer. Or children in the inner city forced to sell it to their classmates by gangs.

Which wouldn't happen if it was legal. The only reason gangs do this crap is because they can earn great profits from it so if you legalize it they wouldn't compete with big companies.

Sorry to disrupt your delicate sensibilities on the fact that its harmful and pointing the finger at another drug doesn't mean the one you ingest is any better because you conduct yourself better. I talked about the effects it had on the brain.

The effects are debatable. Of course abusing anything will lead to a terrible effect on the whole body but I think a joint once a week is not enough to do ANY damage. What you are pointing at is most likely a biased study which may have had some political influence. The truth of the matter is that these results are all mixed so there is no way of knowing. The only study people pull up was during the Nixon administration which proved to be a terrible research study.

And too loagun lol I'm ignorant son you don't have a clue. I have more knowledge about this then you ever could wish to know. I have seen it grown and harvested i have also smoked it taken the crystals of the leaves they are called visible trichomes. I know what nutrients the soil needs and what cycle under the light the plant needs to produce the most buds. Your a child trying to chime in on a subject you have no clue about. I'm a disinfo agent lol. The baby boomers smoked different weed also known as shwag with lower THC levels then today where the whole point of growing the plant is to get the highest THC levels out of it aka a bigger high as THC is the active chemical in weed that gets people high.

I agree with this. Weed is much different than what it used to be due to cross breeding and specific selection of plants. However, THC is NOT the only active ingredient that gets people high. There are a few, of course the main one is THC but it isn't the only one.

I SUGGEST READING THIS

The fact that people even gave you two stars shows how some people on here don't know how to research or will side with people without knowing the subject at all
edit on 11-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

The subject is a vague one which is filled with many biased views.

Back to topic:

Yes alcohol kills a lot, tobacco kills a lot, and many more. These stuff are needed to keep the 'lower' people happy and in an ignorant state. If there was no tobacco, alcohol, or drugs I think people will get bored and the guys in power would no longer be in power.

These are just tools that help keep us down. It is like TV, computers, over work and being underpaid, the media, and etc. It is all combined so that we stay in a blissful state and not lash out at the authority.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

True. The real reason it is illegal is because it opens a new avenue of competition for the cotton industry, for pharmaceutical industries, and others who stand to get affected by it's production.

The government is paid by lobbyists to keep it illegal which includes hemp. Many people forget that hemp was one of the key items used in WW1 and WW2 in the US. It helped the army and it was cheap to produce. But why was it made illegal after the wars? It doesn't make sense at all. BTW, hemp seeds are one of the best seeds out there health wise.

It doesn't make sense to keep alcohol on the market while weed is made illegal for corporate reasons. There are a lot of medical uses for marijuana which can be unlocked through researching.

Proof:

Thirty years ago the United States came to a critical juncture in the drug war. A Nixon-appointed presidential commission had recommended that marijuana use not be a criminal offense under state or federal law. But Nixon himself, based on his zealous personal preferences, overruled the commission's research and doomed marijuana to its current illegal status. This newly revealed information comes from declassified tapes of Oval Office conversations from 1971 and 1972, which show Nixon's aggressive anti-drug stance putting him directly at odds against many of his close advisors.

The funny part is that Nixon formed a commission to study the drug which he loaded up with zealous anti-drug people.

The Shafer Commission -- officially known as the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse -- took its job seriously. They launched fifty research projects, polled the public and members of the criminal justice community, and took thousands of pages of testimony. Their work is still the most comprehensive review of marijuana ever conducted by the federal government.

After reviewing all the evidence, these drug warriors were forced to come to a different conclusion than they had at first expected. Rather than harshly condemning marijuana, they started talking about legalization.

When Nixon heard such talk, he quickly denounced the Commission -- months before it issued its report. As a result of Nixon's public rebuke, Shafer met with the President. The Commission was upset, and the purpose of the meeting was to reassure them. But Nixon didn't budge. Instead, he warned Shafer to get control of his commission and avoid looking like a "bunch of do-gooders" who are "soft on marijuana." He warned Shafer that the Commission would "look bad as hell" if it came out with recommendations different from the direction of Congress and the President.
SOURCE

edit on 12-2-2011 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join