It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

But tell that to the beer makers who opposed the legalization of weed in CA... hehe. Corruption throughout, greed throughout...

Not only them, but medical growers also opposed the bill. Greedy pricks. Also, check out Lagunitas brewery in CA, they are a bunch of pot heads lol. One of their beers is "The Kronic" and another is "Undercover Shutdown Ale" as they somehow got the brewery raided/shut down at one point for something weed related. Sounds like great people, and I know for a fact the beer is great!

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

Why do you think the CIA introduced crack coc aine to America?

Let me guess, you probably think the CIA started the bloods, crips, ms13, etc too? Stop blaming the government for things people do. Or are you saying that black street gangs are too stupid to make something as simple as crack? Give me a break...

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

LOL to the people who think Weed isn't a drug. I have done a lot of drugs in my day weed was one of the strongest its effects last for years on its users. They did a study that showed how the higher thc levels reduce the natural anti psychotic chemical that is also in the weed in effect making the people crazy. As for alcohol yeah it too is not a good drug it dries out your body and is a depressant. It depletes the same chemicals in the brain as weed your serotonin levels. this chemical makes you happy. But i highly doubt they will ever make weed legal and alcohol illegal. And please don't give me the bs about its natural because it has been genetically modified over the years though cross breeding to produce a bigger high. That in its self is not natural. Its like if i grew apples the size of cars on a tree then said its natural.

"They" did a study. They are full of BS. Weed does not make you crazy. I think YOU are the cause of any craziness if you believe that. You did "a lot of drugs" Do you mean caffeine, Tylenol, and nutmeg? Wow man that's hardcore! I'm sure, judging by your post, I've had much more experience with "real" hardcore drugs than you, and Marijuana is by far the weakest and easiest to quit of any. It's closer to tobacco when you compare it to heroin, coc aine, extacy, etc. Come on...

Originally posted by TKDRL

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
Plus they say 30% of alcohol is from illegal home brew.

Wait what? Are there really places that made it illegal to brew your own? That can't be serious lol. You can make alcohol from any sweet fruit FFS, beer is made from perfectly legal plants.

It's perfectly legal in almost everywhere in the USA to brew your own beer, wine, other fermented beverages. I'm not too certain, but I think while distilling may be a gray area, I think it's the distribution of distilled beverages that gets people into hot water.

Originally posted by Varemia

Originally posted by TKDRL

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
Plus they say 30% of alcohol is from illegal home brew.

Wait what? Are there really places that made it illegal to brew your own? That can't be serious lol. You can make alcohol from any sweet fruit FFS, beer is made from perfectly legal plants.

It's technically illegal to make 100% alcohol because it can be used as rocket fuel (remember the movie October Sky?).

Where the heck did you get that from?
It has nothing to do with 100% alcohol being "rocket fuel" Are you an old wife by any chance?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

but you can't grow apples the size of cars on trees now can you? your talking BS here yourself, that or your a 'disinformationalist' hired by the government(probably just ignorant though...). i am not a 'weed' smoker, but i have nothing against people that do it. you mention that weed has been genetically modified over the years to make 'bigger highs', and to that first thought is 'WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY?????' but my cleaned up response is:

lol I'm ignorant son you don't have a clue. I have more knowledge about this then you ever could wish to know. I have seen it grown and harvested i have also smoked it taken the crystals of the leaves they are called visible trichomes. I know what nutrients the soil needs and what cycle under the light the plant needs to produce the most buds. Your a child trying to chime in on a subject you have no clue about. I'm a disinfo agent lol. The baby boomers smoked different weed also known as shwag with lower THC levels then today where the whole point of growing the plant is to get the highest THC levels out of it aka a bigger high as THC is the active chemical in weed that gets people high.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How come every time there's a post about how bad alcohol is for you, there almost always is a mention of marijuana in the same post???? Give it a rest already, we know how much you guys love weed.

I wonder what percentage of deaths worldwide can be linked to cigarette smoke? You smokers and your cigs.

Off to drink some rotgut and wait until the end of my days....

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

No, I'm not an old wife. That's just honestly what I remember. Maybe I'm wrong, as you apparently have more up-to-date info than I.

As for weed not being a drug... lol, it is a drug. People use it to feel better, and that's the definition of what a drug is. It also can be dangerous, since it makes people stop caring and lowers inhibitions. The big difference between it and alcohol is that it slows you down considerably, making you less likely to actually go do dangerous things. The reason that there aren't many deaths attributed to weed is that it is illegal and therefor difficult to perform studies and statistics on.

And then there's the whole gateway drug argument, where when someone tries one illegal drug, they start thinking "hey, if this drug's ok, maybe the others are too?" aaand then severe addictions ensue.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
One problem with this WHO research is that they are taking alcohol and extrapolating to a litany of diseases and causes of death that are indirectly tied to alcohol; and comparing it to diseases and infections that cause death directly.

Its consumption has been linked to cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, poisonings, road traffic accidents, violence, and several types of cancer, including cancers of the colorectum, breast, larynx and liver.

There is little to no evidence showing a direct link between alcohol and those cancers.

Still a nice find! WHO is not our friend

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Yes mary is a drug, according to the official definition I learned in dare. Any substance, that affects the way the mind and body work. That is a broad brush definition, that includes coffee. Funny thing is, I know people that are addicted to coffee, I know no one that is addicted to mary. And I do know many potheads, when it is dry, or they are broke, not smoking is a bummer. When people addicted to coffee dont get their fix, there is actual physical withdrawal.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

The same can be said about cigarettes causing cancer. A large percentage of smokers happen to be blue collar, who breath in all kinds of crap for a living. Doesn't surprise me that a lot get cancer. Construction jobs for example, that is what I do. I will be breathing in all kinds of crap, from from taping compound dust, to the fumes of polyurethane. The same can be said of anyone that is in the construction business. How many of those people back in the day, when the studies supposedly concluded smoking causes cancer were bluecollar guys breathing in obspestos on the job? Back before it was linked to lung cancer?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am seeing a fair amount of denial in this thread. A drug is a drug is a drug.

But I won't get preachy suffice to say: "There but for the grace of God go I."

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

YES! Cigarettes have been demonized and called the cause of all lung cancer...complete lie!!

In addition to what you said, lung cancer is usually caused by cancer cells that came from somewhere else in the body. Blood always goes back to the lungs 1st to get oxygen. In the small and dense blood vessels there, the cancer cells stop and start growing because it is such a great growth medium. Most people that get lung cancer had small cancer cells growing somewhere else first.

Cigarettes and alcohol, although they aren't good for your health, they aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

lol son im not going to post my drug history on the internet so you can see if im telling the truth. Anyone can make up crap but I'm telling the truth and yes there has been stuff that i have done thats harder the weed. I know you can get high off morning glory seeds look it up, and if you buy a special type of cough syrup which is over the counter i might add you can get high off it. LOL some people are getting high off bathing salts here's the article www.washingtonpost.com... The three i posted i have never done or will do. If you want info on any type of drug i suggest this website www.erowid.org... i hope you use it for education purposes only. Personally im done with drugs but i do smoke cigs and i no longer drink
edit on 11-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun
Cigarettes and alcohol, although they aren't good for your health, they aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

I am simply wordless.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Are you sure you haven't had too much aspartame, cause if I didn't know any better there might be a few holes in your brain. You sir, are talking out of your finger tips.. Marijuana on a grand scale is NO more dangerous than sugar... In Africa, people get killed over food, and people are forced to sell food and get killed while trying to do so all the time... Are you saying there is a big difference. Obviously smoking weed or anything for that matter is bad for your lungs, your heart and of course your brain... But that is a fact of life. You don't think you are breathing in carcinogens around a camp fire? We live in a world surrounded by cars pushing out pounds of carbon monoxide, guess we should make people start biking everywhere?
Since when did we care about genetic modification. Have you tasted a tomato lately?
And I can guarantee you chances are most of the marijuana on the market is just high quality, I wouldn't say genetically modified, that is a stretch.
Clearly, it hasn't been until recently that the public has been doing this as I'm sure not everyone knows how to REALLY GM weed

Essentially I posted this so you could put your head back on straight and realize that marijuana is not to blame for deaths. People are responsible for their actions. Yes, I know some people can't control what happens to them, but we all know what is possible. I have seen a guy get his ass kicked (sent to the hospital with fractured skull) because he wouldn't give a guy a cigarette.... Guess we should make that illegal too? Cause you know god forbid it would happen again! But what would happen next I ask you? What happens when the cabby is robbed for his fair and shot dead in his seat or stabbed in the throat? Do we blame cab riders for cab driver deaths? Maybe not everyone on here will agree with my logic, most likely you.

Listen, we could argue until the smoke begins to create resin stains all over the cieling. But the truth is. PEOPLE LIKE TO GET HIGH. This alcohol statistic proves it. People are not satisfied with being sober.
How many people get headaches from their caffeine addictions, yet they still use knowing that it is bad for their hearts, makes stress worse and can essentially put you in the hospital if you drink to much.
I don't think law should be like science or religion, a game of fill in the gaps until you hit the next paradigm shift, however people are to silly to use the big jar in the first place.

Feel free to rant on some more about the REEFER MADNESS you suggest exists.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

*COUGH* we all know why it is illegal *COUGH* Big Pharma *COUGH* Alcohol producers *HACK and COUGH*
Sorry guys. Rough cough, I should cut down on smoking lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Emphysema jokes are sooooo funny. A close second to cirrhosis of the liver. Want pix?

edit on 11-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I am in awe that some of you would defend alcohol.....

Alcohol kills, ruins families, makes you and idiot. People are so desensitized over alcohol that they dont see how stupid it makes them..... If alcohol is legal than so should crack and heroin which is a safer drug.

The world is ruined because of alcohol. There are so many unwanted unplanned children that the world mainly consists of them.

How many of you had a bad childhood because your parents drank?

Alcohol should be banned, outlawed and criminalized.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty.

AA actually begins working a lot better when you can sift your way through all the double meanings bait and switch aspects of the program. Dont let the AA know it alls work your program and run ya off.
Pg 164 They even admit it.."We realize we know only a little" eventually this becomes apparent and the heavy judgement lifts.

Fire out of that chair with rigorous honesty no matter what anyone thinks and if they dont like it or ya dont sound AA enough for them...tellem to pray for ya. Only requirement for membership is a "desire" to stop drinking. Doesnt even say STOP DRINKING

Sincerely,
The AA Owl

edit on 11-2-2011 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

It was more of a bronchitis joke... But regardless.. It was a joke.
Cancer is no laughing matter... Neither is prosecuting a group of people who happen to enjoy a certain substance that prevents other companies from making money...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The top three causes of death in US males ages 18-35 are 1. Accidents 2. Homocide 3. Suicide

(that's what my doctor told me)

Also funny, I just cracked open a beer right before I read this. mmmm beer.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribaltrip
reply to post by kinda kurious

It was more of a bronchitis joke... But regardless.. It was a joke.

Yeah right, and your seat cushion is a flotation device. Catastrophic sense of humor failure.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
removed: why even bother?
edit on 11-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join