It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribute To The Tenacious Egyptians

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

So does that mean you too will be cheering and dancing in the streets once we get attacked, again?

Your mom will be singing and dancing in the streets!

Sorry, I just felt that this idiotic statement required an equally idiotic response.

I'm telling you that I don't give a good goddamn if they dance or if they sit on their ass and watch soccer. They can think whatever the hell they want, that's their business. I'm not into prosecuting thought crimes. I'm also telling you that Americans have no room to gripe if someone dances at our expense, because our culture could almost be said to hinge on the notion of taking pleasure in the death and suffering of "them" - take your pick on who "they" are.

We spent twelve years causing the deaths of millions of Iraqis - it was no secret, no mystery. Between the sanctions and the constant bombing we conducted during that period, we caused a lot of dead people - this is without figuring in the indirect deaths from our willful targeting of electrical and water plants. For over a decade, our media and our politicians regaled us with how mighty we were because of this, how badly the Iraqis deserved it, that it was a "good thing," and for the most part, three hundred million Americans smiled and nodded their heads in agreement with this narrative - the Iraqis deserved to die, they deserved to watch their kids die of cancers from our DU ammunition, they deserved to live in sewage, we were taking pleasure in their state. Prior to that we spent an entire decade funding, arming, and fueling Saddam Hussein, even with full knowledge of how many Iraqis he was killing. This was also a good thing, a noble cause, moral and upstanding, something we should take joy in. In 2003, we decided to heat it back up. We've killed over a million more Iraqis since 2003, and sent over two million into exile as refugees.

We have a similar record in Afghanistan. We're well-known as purveyors of death in the Palestinian territories, where we have contributed to the deaths of around eighty thousand people, most of them civilians. we have comparable records in Lebanon. In Egypt, we have spent thirty years supporting, arming, and funding a tyrant who's secret police have tortured and "disappeared" thousands of people; a government that we have, until the very last few days, remained behind 100%. We conducted indiscriminate bombings in Libya and have murdered hundreds of Pakistanis and Yemenis through drone attacks. We regularly threaten Iran with imminent destruction; this after we overthrew their democracy, installed a tyrant who proceeded to "liquidate" well over a hundred thousand Iranians with our backing, and whom were sucking down US-supplied poison gas when our ally Saddam Hussein invaded them with our full endorsement. we didn't behave any better in Indonesia when we were backing Suharto.

We've easily caused the death of three million of "them" in the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised by a figure in the eight million range for the last thirty years. And the entire time, Americans have been cheering and applauding and asking for more, more, more. We hadn't even finished our saturation bombing of Baghdad in 2003 when Charles Krauthammer and other "pundits" were begging for assaults on Damascus and Tehran. The lead man for one of our major political parties got up on stage and sang "Bomb Iran" to peals of laughter and applause, and didn't suffer at all in the polls because of it.

So when you see "them" dancing in the streets after a few dozen of "us" die, now you'll have an inkling of where they're coming from. Feel free to disagree with their jubilation - it is crass - but remember that to do so, you have to stop feeling joy at their deaths.
edit on 12/2/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Ill tell her im going to visit a friend...when is this again?
seems your gonna get me into some trouble lol

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy

Ill tell her im going to visit a friend...when is this again?
seems your gonna get me into some trouble lol

Around end November to early December..Depends when year 12 breaks up..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Sounds to me like we need to plan a little trip.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS" Gandhi

"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" Gandhi

I felt it was a good day for the human spirit
a breath of new fresh air ..
Here is a picture of the make shift camp that was organically created by addressing the peoples needs
It is heart warming to see the will of the human spirit in action.. creating and doing what is needed to be done.
for the greater good of all.....

Egypt: The camp that toppled a president
www.bbc.co.uk...

ATSmediaPRO ......Thank you for creating that video ..well done !!!.....

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread and will do so again here. I had a conversation with two separate Egyptian girls that I work with about this topic and I was suprised to hear their comments and that they both, more or less, stated the same thing...
Originally posted by Australiana

I work with two Egyptian girls who are christians and some of their close relatives still live in Cairo. The other day I asked them if their family was OK and if they were happy with the people's revolution. They were very quick to remark, "NO way!". I asked them why they were against the protests and thought maybe it was because of the safety of their relatives with all the violence occurring. One of the Egyptian girls replied, "Even though Maburak receives money and keeps it all and does not share it, and yes there is much poverty over there, whilst he is in power we are safe. As soon as he leaves power, the Muslims will quickly jump into power instead and then they will slaughter all of the christians. So, for this reason, we are terrified for our family."

I am not stating this is how it will pan out but these are the opinions of two separate Egyptian citizens who know very well what is happening over there.
edit on 12/2/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
great victory, it only took 40 years to accomplish. what did they really accomplish, a retirement age dictator retired, to be replaced with a puppet to be announced at a future date.

they still don't have democracy, muburak is free to enjoy his billions, the war criminals that make up his government aren't being brought to justice and the dead that gave their lives for this hollow victory are still dead.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CerBeRus666
I wouldn't be so precipitous in popping those Champaign bottles just yet.

So far nothing has been achieved, and the true forces behind this movement have yet to show their hands. Mubarak might be gone, but who is to say something worst isn't on it's way?
I find the notion of "spontaneous popular movements" a bit hard to swallow...we shall see.

Having say that, I really don't care...the people of Egypt will get what they paid for, or were paid for.
Either way there will continue to be decades of mass-poverty, under-employment, and starvation, for the majority of the people of Egypt. But I guess that's their problem...

I really don't trust the line "anything but...", as a revolutionary slogan, and so far have seen no alternatives, no solutions, no leaders, and no programs, being proposed...aside from the exile of Mubarak, and his Millions (guess he'll make this years Fortune 500)...

This is why I read posts before posting (most of the time).

Other than Mubarak leaving, nothing has changed. Their economy, infrastructure is in shambles. No laws have been changed, nothing has. The military is currently in power.

So um, good luck with this, Egypt.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

We are the champions?
Put it in perspective, these same folks would be dancing and cheering if they happened to stone Freddie Mercury for being gay.
AYE CARAMBA!

Why would a human waste time to write such bad intented words...You have definitly clear biased, even racist thoughts about non-western, non-christian parts of the world but i have to remind you that here is not a platform to spread hate.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

I think a lot of people have gotten so cynical that they have forgotten dreams are what the future is made of. There can't be a future without dreams.

I predict the Egyptian people will rule themselves.

A bunch of white guys in 1776 weren't and aren't the only ones who could pull it off. Egypt, not Iran, is the biggest piece on the chess board there. We need to support the people there with as much vigor as we can.

We owe it to them after supporting a dictator for 30 years.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join