It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forgiveness via iPhone: Church approves confession app

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Even for the most ardent Catholic, it can sometimes be tricky making the time to confess your sins. So the Church, as part of a new technology-friendly push, has now approved an iPhone app that lets busy Catholics admit their wrongdoings while on the move.

Interesting to say the least

Forgiveness via iPhone

Selling for $1.99, "Confession: A Roman Catholic App" was developed as an aid "for those who frequent the sacrament and those who wish to return," according to Little iApps, the firm behind the idea.

I wonder if behind the scenes, the catholic church is not just approving this app, but gaining from it?

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. What's next, Communion vending machines?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Well the Vatican seems to disagree with the OP's article and they said it is NOT ok to confess via an app.

A statement from Vatican City states that the recently released Confession iPhone app is in no way a substitute for the actual Rite of Penance.

www.digitaltrends.com...
edit on 11-2-2011 by TV_Nation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
already been done...

Quest girls sell inner peace for 2.50 a minute...

or is that full release...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I am not Catholic so I have to ask, even if the Vatican would approve the use of an app for this propose, would you really feel secure that your privacy would be in tact using this app to confess your sins? I usually feel uncomfortable texting anything personal to anyone to begin with.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
This is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. What's next, Communion vending machines?

I read an article about a coin operated holly water dispenser.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is so #ing ridiculous. How lazy have people become that they can't take time out of there own day for a religion they claim to believe so strongly in, yet cant care enough to stop watching TV to confess there sins. Religion is slowly but surely losing touch with its roots. When this becomes the norm, I have no hope left in humanity. I'm not even a religious person, but its the principal of this that bugs me.

Materialism is destroying culture.
edit on 11-2-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
As a Catholic, when I first read about this app, I was shocked. I was going to post the story here but, after reading more about it, felt that it really didn't warrent alarm. After I read the article I saw that it was not an app to replace the sacrament of confession, it was an app to prepare for the sacrament of confession.

The app includes an examination of conscience that allows you to tick off certiain items to remember when you get into the confessional and provides instructions for what to do in confession and prayers for preparation for and pennance after the sacrament.

The app basically gives instructions on what to do to prepare for confession and what to do in the confessional. No biggie.

Now, if the app stores and sends off info on what the app user clicks off on their examination of conscience, that could be worrysome.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilDog0311
This is so #ing ridiculous. How lazy have people become that they can't take time out of there own day for a religion they claim to believe so strongly in, yet cant care enough to stop watching TV to confess there sins. Religion is slowly but surely losing touch with its roots. When this becomes the norm, I have no hope left in humanity. I'm not even a religious person, but its the principal of this that bugs me.

Materialism is destroying culture.
edit on 11-2-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

Agreed. I am not religious but for some reason this whole thing disturbs me deeply. But hey, if they can confess their sins and update their Facebook status all while watching American Idol, the masses will love it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm not a catholic either, so I have to ask: When you ask for forgiveness for a sin...would sloth count as something you'd ask forgiveness for?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Coming up next, iPenance app:
The confession app reports your evil deeds, then the server sends back a command for the number of electric shocks you receive, to the area of the apps choice.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Might as well drive yourself to the cop shop and turn yourself in if you've done anything major.

edit on 13/2/11 by 1088no5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
How long til the database is queried as admissible evidence in a crime case?

Technology is not protected by religion.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

LOL! Its brilliant - now they can send details of your sins to other companies.

Now in the inbox of a serial killer: "Hey, having trouble chopping up corpses? Say goodbye to the endless grind of the bone saw! Try our new patented stainless steel..."

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The Church does not approve of this:

Catholics cannot confess via iPhone and technology is not a substitute for being present when admitting sins to a priest, the Vatican spokesman said on Wednesday. The statement by Father Federico Lombardi follows the launch of an iPhone application aimed at helping Catholics through confession sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.

“One cannot speak in any way of confessing via iPhone,” Lombardi said on Wednesday, adding that confession required the presence of the penitent and the priest. “This cannot be substituted by any IT application,” Lombardi added

www.ethiopianreview.com...

new topics

top topics

join