It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Weather Isn't Getting Weirder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The Weather Isn't Getting Weirder

online.wsj.com

Some climate alarmists would have us believe that these storms are yet another baleful consequence of man-made CO2 emissions. In addition to the latest weather events, they also point to recent cyclones in Burma, last winter's fatal chills in Nepal and Bangladesh, December's blizzards in Britain, and every other drought, typhoon and unseasonable heat wave around the world.

But is it true? To answer that question, you need to understand whether recent weather trends are extreme by historical standards. The Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project is the latest attempt to find out, using super-
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.esrl.noaa.gov

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have been noticing lately a lot more weather alarmism here on ATS, and it is just not true. Even NOAA; who is under control of the U.S. government who is trying to push alternative energy sources by vilifying petroleum, coal, and other CO2 emitting energy sources; says the weather is not getting 'weirder'. If the motto of ATS is still 'Deny Ignorance', then it is time for facts rather than alarmism to take front stage!

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Could be right. Seems like California is about par for the course in weather. But then again, the biggest snow storm in memory just swept through at least half the US if not more area. Can't deny it's strange that Mexico, New mexico, arizona, texas, and louisiana to name a few, suffering an extended freeze is normal.

Also look at Queensland AUS. floods, hurricanes, China in extended drought.

But, yeah, with all that said, I think we need to see several years in a row of crazy worsening weather to confirm. Right now, it does seem like another media frenzy.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

We've had a lot more winter storms in the last 2 years and they have brought more snow than the rather low snow years we had all of the 90's. Looking back I've mentioned to some of the neighbours that while the last two years are extreme compairred to the 90's they are well below the snow fall of the 80's.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This study was a comparison of weather from 1871 to today, not the 1980's or 1990's. 140 years of records versus 20 to 30 years. You be the judge.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I think the biggest take away from this is "We just don't know for sure".

Weather change is a constant, a brief look at the geological, and even archaeological records can show us we've had some insane extremes in weather over the history of our fine little planet.

I think it is a valid point to say we don't know to what end CO2 emissions effect the climate, because we distinctly don't have a clue! On the same token I think we can show that there are other effects of what is essentially pollution and this whole global warming thing is just an extension of the pollution hype I heard as a kid in the 80s.

I am for clean energy and reducing emissions, but not because of weather shifts because it is just nicer to live on a planet with clean air and water.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I am for clean energy and reducing emissions, but not because of weather shifts because it is just nicer to live on a planet with clean air and water.

That path I can definitely go with! Fabricating 'facts' to back up an agenda that is more about control than the betterment of the Earth and humankind I cannot.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah I think quite a few people are in the same boat as us. I'm tired of being lied to and listening to stretched fats and fuzzy science to back agendas.

How about this novel approach: Give us the agenda and ask for support based on either real facts or a moral agreement. I think most people would agree clean air and water is nice. So then just ask us: Are you willing to pay more for transportation and goods in exchange for a cleaner environment? Instead we are told:"You will pay more for transportation and goods because you're going to destroy the planet with your greedy nasty ways if you don't; now go whip yourself for wanting cheap gas."

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Time will tell. How trends and patterns continue and how long they endure is all a big unknown.

The weather is definitely more extreme, more often than it has been in recent history...say in the last 100 years or so. Before that we don't really have accurate, comparable data, do we? Instruments have changed. The way we record things has changed. Also, I don't view this as "alarmist' but as something to really keep a very close eye on, as it is affecting the planet and may well be foretelling our immediate future.

These people who keep bringing up the argument of why it's happening get on my second to last nerve. Does it matter all that much in the end? Maybe if you're not willing to take steps to protect the planet just in case, and maybe if you're angry someone's controlling you and making money. Other than that, to state such a thing and then think you're done with it and dismiss the rest as a non-issue is ignorant.

And these people who keep insisting it's a cycle really get on my last nerve. Cycles break. Cycles have indeterminate durations. If there is trending toward an extreme weather "cycle" that's going to last,say, a century or a millennium, we'd better be prepared for that. Super computers need variables and scenarios fed into them and what they come up with is, at best, just a faster guess or theory. Variables change, and again we don't have comparable historical data to really feed into them.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Makes me wonder, with as much accuracy and diligence put into tracking the stars and their movements in ancient times, why is there no apparent evidence of the same folks keeping track of weather phenomena(sp?).

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

I have been noticing lately a lot more weather alarmism here on ATS, and it is just not true. Even NOAA; who is under control of the U.S. government who is trying to push alternative energy sources by vilifying petroleum, coal, and other CO2 emitting energy sources; says the weather is not getting 'weirder'.

Bull poop.

I have lived in the US Southeast all my life... which comes to well over a half century. In that time, I have seen a few winters that got cold, produced ice or snow storms... no big deal.

But between last winter and this one?

Don't tell me it is not weird when it has a big W stamped on every snowflake, ice pellet and freezing rain drop that has fallen!

And if you don't mind a slight correction, much of this has been the result of a queer jet stream oscillation that began in July of 2008. And to date, while the southern dip for 2011 has begun receding, there is no general trend to reversal.

So yes, the weather (at least here) is unusual at best and damned sure weird to most everyone else. Thank you.

edit on 11-2-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
OMG people get a grip! All this weather has happened before in history FACT! and the human race is still Here, if you really believe the world is gunna end then please ship all your belongings to me and transfer all your cash to me after all you ain't going to need it, right? Plus I'm going to need all your money to prepare the worlds biggest humble pie and to cover the amount of keyboards I'm going to get through writing " I told you so"

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by simples
OMG people get a grip! All this weather has happened before in history FACT! and the human race is still Here, if you really believe the world is gunna end then please ship all your belongings to me and transfer all your cash to me after all you ain't going to need it, right? Plus I'm going to need all your money to prepare the worlds biggest humble pie and to cover the amount of keyboards I'm going to get through writing " I told you so"

Yes it's all happened before and yes the human race is still here.......but chances of survival through such changes, for most of us, will be slim, and the experience traumatic and painful.

I don't relish the idea of watching famine on a global scale take hold of us all - so 'scuse me while I continue to keep my eye on the situation.

ps. save me a piece of that pie

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

The 10 Worst Winter Storms in U.S. History

The Storm of the Century: This 1993 storm walked away with the "storm of the century" label because the century was almost over, so despite people's rush to label every successive storm as the worst of the era, there's no way to know until more time has passed. In March 1993, a cyclonic blizzard absolutely worked the east coast, at one point stretching from Canada to Central America as it dropped snow as far south as Alabama and Florida here in the States. More than 300 people died in the storm, which had an impact on almost half the country's population. The storm racked up more than $6.6 billion in damages and even delayed NASCAR events, so you know it was serious.

Wonder if this one had a big "J" stamped on every snowflake?

top topics

join