It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy protests bring down Egypt's Mubarak

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Democracy protests bring down Egypt's Mubarak

news.yahoo.com

CAIRO – Egypt exploded with joy, tears, and relief after pro-democracy protesters brought down President Hosni Mubarak with a momentous march on his palaces and state TV. Mubarak, who until the end seemed unable to grasp the depth of resentment over his three decades of authoritarian rule, finally resigned Friday and handed power to the military.

"The people ousted the regime," rang out chants from crowds of hundreds of thousands massed in Cairo's central Tahrir Square and outside Mubarak's
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well, there we have it. Mubarak is out. Power has been transferred to the military. People are in joy all across Egypt today.

Hopefully the military rules in favor of the citizens. They have been pretty nice since the beginning of the protests.

From what I understand from the article, the military forced him out because of the wave of protests today.

edit - already posted - www.abovetopsecret.com...

news.yahoo.com
edit on 11-2-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Well, there we have it. Mubarak is out. Power has been transferred to the military. People are in joy all across Egypt today.

Hopefully the military rules in favor of the citizens. They have been pretty nice since the beginning of the protests.

From what I understand from the article, the military forced him out because of the wave of protests today.

edit - already posted - www.abovetopsecret.com...

news.yahoo.com
edit on 11-2-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

The protesters shouldn't get too happy yet. We have no idea what is going to happen yet. Hopefully it won't be a military government.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Is Suleiman still vice president? with Mubarak his resignation, and Mubarak appointing Suleiman, does he still have his VP job? I also don't want to sound like a hypocrite, but I am bit scared as to what can happen in Egypt now Mubarak has moved out of the way. Stories around Suleiman aren't necessarily good ones. What could happen?
edit on 11-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: Spelling and Grammar

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
...did democracy bring down this government ? and how certain are you of your post ? and with what confirmation are you able to say so ?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

That's what I want to know. Sullieman would likely just follow the same policies and be beholden to the same interests. It will be interesting from here to see if this truly is a peoples revolution

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

It will be interesting from here to see if this truly is a peoples revolution

So whats your gut feeling telling you ?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I will feel better after some time has lapsed, everyone goes back to what they were doing and we see how the country makes transition. I am proud of the Egyptian people but I still fear for their welfare and lives.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

This is going to be bad. Egypt will probably go the way of Iran. This will spread like wildfire throughout the middle east. Hold on to your ass because oil is gonna go through the roof.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by tristar

This is going to be bad. Egypt will probably go the way of Iran. This will spread like wildfire throughout the middle east. Hold on to your ass because oil is gonna go through the roof.

Is this going to spread like wild fire based on the news due to what has been printed/voiced/viewed, or is it because we have openly announced our intentions and the fact that there was or is no back door.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Wel, my gut feeling is telling me that the stage already has been set , about what to do with Egypt's future. The resignation from Mubarak could only be a show because it was the only thing that could give the protesters a feeling of euphoria.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfcomplex
reply to post by tristar

Wel, my gut feeling is telling me that the stage already has been set , about what to do with Egypt's future. The resignation from Mubarak could only be a show because it was the only thing that could give the protesters a feeling of euphoria.

Ask other than obvious..this is a gesture

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Egypt will probably go the way of Iran.

Very astute.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The news is running live on the BBC now.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Obama due to speak at 20:00 GMT

- The scenes in Tahir Sq are amazing.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I feel relief that this has became a reality. I feared for the protestors in their quest so now they can go back home and get on with their free life?
How it will affect the Middle East, that is in the hands of the people once they vote in September?
I hope the military are not long term as we know from Iraq and Iran, military rule is like going from the frying pan to the fire?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I hope many of the Egyptian people involved in this spectacularly righteous uprising continue to seek reparations for the wrongs that have been committed.

Of interest to me is seeing NARUS held accountable for their involvement is the communication shut-down.
They are a US Company, originated in Israel.

Check it Out

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Egypt will probably go the way of Iran.

Very astute.

I dont believe it will. Maybe i am being naive and a little too optimistic, but having followed the protests quite closely the majority of the demonstrators are young people who will not want to trade one type of tyranny with another. I guess we will see. My biggest concern at the moment will be the role the Saudis play.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Has the motto of this site not taught anyone anything ?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Whether one feels this is only an illusionary "victory" of sorts, with a mere merry-go-round of "installed" leaders or rulers, I think the Egyptian people have done something EXTREMELY remarkable and worth taking note of here:

They have shown to the world that you can bring a dictatorial leadership to its knees, and FORCE them to at least MOVE and LISTEN.

And the most important part of all---They achieved this NON-VIOLENTLY.

They are showing the way it is done people---Even if there is MORE to be done to overcome what is taking place.

NON-COMPLIANCE / NON-COOPERATION with a broken system of rule is the way. Nationwide-STRIKES, and relentless, non-violent, non-cooperation are KEY to crippling these draconian governmental institutions, who RELY on us "playing the game" that they have rigged, and being "productive" consumers and tax-payers, to keep them operating. Nationwide "sit-outs" are something I feel we are going to see a LOT more of as people continue to awaken to how this is all rigged, and begin to detach from being a pawn used in this scheme.

These are VERY interesting times we are living in, and we should all be watching these heroic people closely imho...
edit on 11-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is a slight of hand.

Mubarek handed over power to the military of which he is. Egypt has been under a state of emergency (military control) for the past 34 years (since 1967).

Mubarak, Suleiman and Prime Minister Ahmad Shafiq are all former military men.

Get the picture??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join