It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Protocol for Messaging to Extraterrestrial Intelligence (METI)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This article I read I think has some remarkable studies. Scientists want to put up aself-consistent protocol for sending a message to planets that have the characteristics of an habitable planet. In combination with the new Kepler telescope they hope to find the answers that for now have been unanswered. In combination with Kepler telescope they can set up a self-consistent protocol to send a more direct beam at the planet they think is suitable for life.

METI protocol considers several factors including signal encoding, message length, information content, anthropocentrism, transmission method, and transmission periodicity. Once developed, the protocol will be released for testing on different human groups worldwide and across cultural boundaries. An effective message to extraterrestrials should at least be understandable by humans, and releasing the protocol for testing will allow us to improve the protocol and develop potential messages. Through an interactive website, users across the world will be able to create and exchange messages that follow the protocol in order to discover the types of messages better suited for cross-cultural communication. The development of a METI protocol will serve to improve the quality of messages to extraterrestrials, foster international collaboration, and extend astrobiology outreach to the public.

Many current planet detection methods are biased toward the discovery of gas giants, but extrasolar planet detection techniques will soon be able to detect habitable terrestrial planets through both ground and space based observations. The recently launched Kepler telescope will observe over 100,000 stars in the Milky Way in search of transiting Earth-sized planets, while missions such as the New Worlds Observer and the Terrestrial Planet Finder are being designed (and will hopefully have financial backing in the next decade) to directly detect spectroscopic signatures of extrasolar terrestrial planets

Some critics of METI argue that broadcasting our presence to extraterrestrials is a
security risk because it would alert a malevolent extraterrestrial civilization of our presence [10].
An extraterrestrial civilization that detects our transmissions will likely have superior technology
to our own, so they would almost certainly posses the capability to destroy us.

This line I thought had some interesting features to it?

or maybe we are actually being stealthily observed

Psyorg

PDF file

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Here's my online response, a letter to ET:

Dear ETs,

Hi, we are human. Please don't eat us. We are looking to make friends with you so that we can exploit your technology and maybe your planet too. If you turn out be delicious, we might eat you tho.

We are peaceful, but everywhere we go we start wars. We can't agree on a god, and start wars over that. We also start wars over natural resourses. Do you got any?

Please don't kill us!

Namaste, Planet earth.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

You forgot to ask if they have money? Ours evaporated due to economic recessions!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
METI is like a lonely mouse running around squeaking.

In a dark room full of cats.

When will people learn to shut up and listen?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

I also do not see the potential to send some signal an extra terrestrial civilization. Some say that our radio and television noise circles around us and that SETI picks up our own signal . Well if they choose to use radio frequencies that might eventually be picked up by SETI ?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

good idea..

come-out come-out come out,, little beings,, we wont hurt you....
we just want to make you KOSHER......

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Hi, we are human. Please don't eat us. We are looking to make friends with you so that we can exploit your technology and maybe your planet too. If you turn out be delicious, we might eat you tho.

So YOUR the one who got that message into the packet we sent to Gliese581

What ya think your doing? Inviting them to DINNER?

www.hellofromearth.net...
edit on 11-2-2011 by zorgon because: Cutting Weeds down to size

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
ETs are not hostile nor are they controlling our government. They chose universal good so they managed to survive the danger zone that we are currently in with the technology we have. There are a couple rebels in space but their power is limited. If we chose universal evil with the path we are headed we will either destroy ourselves or never be allowed into space. This is all according to Sgt. Clifford Stone and EarthSister on ufos.about.com

P.S. every piece of information and contactee alleged including David Icke is disinformation to demonize alien races and make you fear the aliens. fear is a powerful emotion and can manipulate people as we all learned on 9/11
edit on 11-2-2011 by PrizM because: edit

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
This line I thought had some interesting features to it?

or maybe we are actually being stealthily observed

If this video is real, then yes, we are being watched. By the Zeta Reticulans (?) apparently.

Google Video Link

More here.

Google Video Link

Hoax? Maybe, but certainly not proven to be.

Is Victor really Bob Dean? You decide

edit on 11/2/11 by Pimander because: Repair links

edit on 11/2/11 by Pimander because: link again!

edit on 11/2/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

Not... one thing a man doesn't change is the natural part in his hair... they do not match

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
oops wrong thread

edit on 11-2-2011 by easynow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Pimander

Not... one thing a man doesn't change is the natural part in his hair... they do not match

I didn't know you were into hairdressing... Which one's natural

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

I can't say if we are being observed by those things? but I only think that the sentence says something?,that the science world apparently notice?" My question to the scientist would be why do you think that we maybe are being observed?"

And if thats the thought they all share why bothering to send a signal if you can better find out if they are stealthily observing us?
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1

I can't say if we are being observed by those things? but I only think that the sentence says something?,that the science world apparently notice?" My question to the scientist would be why do you think that we maybe are being observed?"

And if thats the thought they all share why bothering to send a signal if you can better find out if they are stealthily observing us?

I can't post any proof we are being observed by 'otherworldly' folk. I only know what I have experienced which is not much use here. However, there have been lots of reports of what looks like nuclear installations being buzzed or interfered with. No doubt some of these were to test the defences and were hoaxed by sections of the military, although it sounds pretty damn risky with nukes involved - which may explain the mysterious disablement of missile launchers?

Correct me if I'm wrong (Zorgon and some of the ex-Air Force personnel can probably help us with this) but these guys look like they had technology that the Soviets didn't. If we didn't have covert technology of that nature then apart from Antarctic NAZI bases staying ahead of the US (with all of the associated resources) then somebody was responsible. Just maybe that is the reason for the cover-up. Perhaps the military were helpless so they covered it up. Alien, Soviet or whatever, would you want to cause mass panic and admit that 'somebody, can take control of our nukes?

So, the whole SETI thing, if this is true, is probably pointless. If we are being covertly observed, then nukes would certainly be a biggie for the observers. This would explain all of the above.

Having said all of the above, to find ways of communicating across the species barrier is still something I would encourage. I am convinced that visitors with inter-dimensional technology could have a lot to tell us.

edit on 12/2/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I think the photographs are photo-shopped I can easily do the same!

The imagery comes from Imageshack not a reliable source right?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I included the images as a joke. Sorry, maybe I have a strange sense of humour.

top topics

join