It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House clears way for Patriot Act extension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

House clears way for Patriot Act extension

www.rawstory.com

The US House of Representatives voted Thursday night to clear the road for an extension of controversial provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act.

The final vote was 248 to 176, largely along party lines. Just 4 Republicans voted against the extension, while only 15 Democrats voted for it.

Under the House bill, the act would be extended until Dec. 8.

Democrats protested a Republican plan to hold the vote under the "closed rule," which prevented amendments.

The last PATRIOT Act extension was passed in Feb. 2010.

Thursday's House vote paved the way for a second ballot on the PATR
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well, nothing ever seems to change does it? I guess the vote they held the other day was just a teaser. I just don't know what to think of these people any more, just when you think they may be on the right track, bam! Not Gonna Happen.

Just in case anyone is interested in how individual members of the House of Representatives voted, I'm including the following source link that includes that information; clerk.house.gov...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This vote does one thing, it lets the citizen know that the US Government is no longer “We the People”
If they were still unaware.

No matter what the Role Call is in the Congress, be it Democrat, be it Republican it does not matter.

NO CHANGE

The Patriot Act has only one purpose that is CONTROL.

Control over the US citizen, no one else.

Peaceful revolution in this country is not possible.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It would appear that things don't change, and the constant invasion of privacy continues! I don't think this blatant disregard of the American people will ever cease.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Patriot Act is not about security. It's about a corporate-military complex playing a permanent role in governance.

If you can see it that way, you can see that this is exactly what is needed to maintain "Continuity of Government" which has become the raison d'etre for the political machinations at hand.

All they care about is remaining in power, and making any attempt to challenge that notion - a crime.

Have you all heard about "self-radicalization" yet? ...... We are in for some rude surprises.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Just looked up the self-radicalization and that is just mind boggling!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Are we REALLY surprised???

Just in case anyone is interested in how individual members of the House of Representatives voted, I'm including the following source link that includes that information; clerk.house.gov...

Thanks, It is time to figure out WHO voted for what so we can hold their feet to the fire later. I am already putting together my material for going house to house to educate people in the coming years.

I just hope and pray there ARE elections in the coming years. If you want to have nightmare about the economy, read THIS. Obama just appointed: Immelt (to head Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.), Daley (Chief of Staff) and Sperling (to head of the National Economic Council) all three represent more of the same - failed trade policies that result in the loss of millions of jobs.

These are the guys, under Clinton, responsible for North American Free Trade Agreement, the World Trade Organization, China’s entry into the World Trade Organization,outsourcing and 20% of US manufacturing jobs permanently lost

Sperling was largely responsible for repealing the Glass-Steagall Act, which caused the financial crisis that brought the economy to its knees.

With friends like these in D.C. who needs to worry about Terrorists

Oh that is right the Patriot Act is about "Home Grown Terrorists" that's us in a few years when the economy and state governments crumble and we are desperate and starving....

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Have you all hear about "self-radicalization" yet? ...... We are in for some rude surprises.

BOY is that ever the truth!

I really have to put together the thread on the recent history of the demise of the USA. I have most of the material ready...

Hoffman studies people who have become self-radicalized with the aid of the Internet and who commit violence without having to cross borders to reach their targets... www.upi.com...

No doubt Internet Censorship is going to become VERY VERY BIG. They want to keep us dumb so we do not know THEY (DC) are actually responsible.

edit on 11-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: Added last paragraph

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

I think the patriot act is for foreigners, so america can do what it wants to anyone on earth with legal authority.

But of course they will never get rid of the power of killing innocent people or torturing people anywhere. Why should they?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Thanks for your list.

At least know we now whose representatives voted for the Gestapo act to be continued.

It is fully comprehensible that when one's elected representative gets the heaters working in municipal townships, roads repaved, a few jobs created, a new pathway made for the convenience fo others, etc, etc, thus some voters feel that their elected representatives had a done a GREAT job and deserve to be RE-ELECTED again.

BUT these are only trinklets, akin to pork barrel politics. That was the way how US won the landmass of america from native indians - trinklets of old dated muskets and whiskey for gold and land.

Today, history repeats itself, with more advanced sleight of hand skills.

There are some nations that believe that freedom from hunger, freedom from illiteracy, freedom from poverty and freedom from diseases is all that is needed from mankind, regardless of political leanings.

Nothing is further from the truth. It is FREEDOM OF SPEECH, that ALL OTHER FREEDOMS DERIVED FROM. If one is not allowed to speak out without fear or favour, then what freedom is there at all? In hunger such voices would be smoothered over. In higher costs of unsubsidised education, the cries would not be allowed to be heard. In cries of poverty, those voices would be cut down. In pain, those voices will be silenced. They spoke out against the gov, are are outspoken, and are terrorists whom should be bound in chains and set to gitmo bay for torture to confessions.

Today, anyone can be deemed a terrorist, regardless of foriegn or domestic, based upon the laws and happenings of the DHS and TSA. A person is deemed guilty till proven innocent, a reverse what the Constitution is all about, and thus, no one has a right to recourse, even within the 3rd branch of gov, the judiciary, which is superseded by the Nazi Dictatorship Act( DHS).

The voters of such representatives that had accepted trinklets must be self centred no more. The Gestapo threat is a far greater threat than the phantoms of terroism can be. Today, those in charge may 'seem' benevolent, but like a camcerous tumor, it often begins as benign till later stages when it becomes malevolent, as the deposed dictator of Egypt had been. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

May we through our relationship networks of families, friends and relatives help educate others more to the dangers Gespoto acts will follow. The choice is theirs and it will be generations today and future to pay the price of one's mistake.

We may not be able to disown our relatives, but for sure, we the masses DO have the power and the right to disown our elected representatives. They owe us, being taxpayers and voters with the sacred power to vote and put them up on the pedestal and recognition from the world's stage, a living.

They are fully free to absolve themselves from such responsibilities if they wish not to undertake, for many more others are ready to fill the void, to be respected for their ability to convince the masses on tough choices, or to be kicked out for working on their own agenda and other masters.
edit on 11-2-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Meanwhile, Congress is discussing how a company [NARUS] headquartered in the USA [originated in Israel] seems to have been pivotal in taking away the Egyptians use of internet communication. The irony is not amusing.

See Recent Thread on the Issue

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Question?, do you think its just the good Ol' US of A that is doing all the killing?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

I think the patriot act is for foreigners, so america can do what it wants to anyone on earth with legal authority.

But of course they will never get rid of the power of killing innocent people or torturing people anywhere. Why should they?

Very true but don't overlook all the parts of it that is aimed at it's own citizens clearly to monitor and control us. They KNOW what the people want..clearly reps do NOT reprresent their people any longer! I wonder will we ever have the courage that the Egyptians have when we finaly say enough!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by andy1033

Very true but don't overlook all the parts of it that is aimed at it's own citizens clearly to monitor and control us. They KNOW what the people want..clearly reps do NOT reprresent their people any longer! I wonder will we ever have the courage that the Egyptians have when we finaly say enough!

If I may add... citizenship can be nullified by the powers seized via Presidential Executive Order. Rights, it appears, can be taken away... which is something I always thought America stood against. The government did not confer rights upon the people; but the government will have you believe that it is THEIR right to undo that which was given (according to doctrine) by God.

At least that's how one argument might go.... I know there are many others for whom 'power' over 'designated' enemies is more alluring than something as incomprehensible to them as 'freedom from oppression'.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I am ready to protest, when you are. I am angry beyond words. Once my kids are out of college, I am leaving to an island where tourism rules lawmaking.....not war and extortion. I am so disgusted I can't tell you. I was so happy yesterday thinking that my Congressman Connie Mack was finally on-board. Today he votes for the measure. We can't win. Can't and won't. I can't wait until we have had enough and take to the streets. I am ready. This is just one of the many slights. Extorted taxes, illegal wars, corporate-degradation, and 12 trillion dollar Fed bailouts. I am beyond disgusted.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Umm . . . just 4 Republicans voted against it, and most Democrats voted it down, save 17 of them; doesn’t that tell us something?

Yet the American people keep voting the Republican fascists in.

The lesser of two evils is the best we can do. . . . Until we get the courage like the people in Egypt AND HIT THE STREETS.

new topics

top topics

join