It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marlboro cigarettes contains poison?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

"No, i didn't crawl from under a rock, did you read my OP? i specifically asked, does this same warning shows up on cigarette packs on other countries? did you miss that?"

That is what you asked me. My reply en.wikipedia.org... not only says these are the countries with warinings on cigarette packs, but if you scroll down, the actual warnings are listed. I am confused how this does not answer the question you asked.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Smoking is bad for you as if there was ever any doubt and I've been off them for over a year now after smoking for nearly 50 years.

The 'venom' questioned in the OP is most likely traces of a rodenticide used in the manufacturing facility to discourage mice and rats from eating the raw product which is tobacco leaves before and after shredding. The currently popular rodenticide is an active ingredient compound called Brodifacoum which is marketed under numerous trade names, one of them being 'Talon'.

I see the warning as something akin to the warnings you see about food products 'may contain traces of nuts' which is addressed particularly to people prone to anaphylactic reactions to certain types of nuts. In this case the Brodifacoum is a highly accumulative anticoagulant poison which is dangerous to everyone if exposed to minute amounts on a daily basis (eg by smoking it). Got me wondering now about what food processing companies might be using this stuff in their facilities and not taking adequate precautions to prevent it getting into the final product.

It's generally bad business to kill your customers but a lot of companies are only after the bottom line profits after all

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a single drop of concentrated nicotine will kill several men. just think about that

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Tbh.. With the genetically modified foods, chemical laden junk foods that are common in western countries am not surprised they add chemicals to the cigarettes as well.. Am a smoker but its either roll my own from tobacco that some of the locals grow or a brand made in a nearby country that get on the local black market as its made from just tobacco ( the maker wont pay the duties to import them so some enterprising individuals do on their own - cheaper at about u.s .40 cents a pack at current exchange rates and without the stupid graphic warning pics that are on western cigarette packets now .. Also much better flavour and last longer than western cigarettes..) . Starting to wonder if there is anything over there that they dont modify or add chemicals to..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Been a smoker for only a few years now (about 5 or so) and really CANNOT quit. I have done some stupid things (drug-related) and have never been hooked to anything besides cigarettes. In fact, cigs are the only thing I take in that is completely unhealthy.

Okay - on topic: I am currently looking at a pack of (hard-pack)Marlboro Menthol 100s - only warning it says is, "Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide." My cigarettes of choice, (hard-pack)Newport Kings (short) says, "Smoking by pregnant women may result in fetal injury, premature birth, and low birth weight."

I need to read up on what EXACTLY is in this FSC shizzy (and cigs in general), because I have been vomiting a lot while smoking. I never use to, but since they started putting this stuff in; I am finding myself feeling nauseous more and more when I smoke anything with this FSC.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

it has been common knowledge for years that cigarettes contain rat poison. when i was maybe 16 there was commercials on tv and the name of the commercials was Truth. and they were always about cigarettes and in one of the commercials they said there was urea and rat poison in them. i just came from Puebla mexico i was in cholula and huejotzingo for a few weeks and the cigarettes there are the exact same as in the USA they taste no different and feel no different. smoking is your choice. if you dont like the idea of the poison and pee going into your body then quit.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
if you want to smoke then roll your own as loose tobbaco does not have chemicals added to it although the smoke will still contain tar a for you, jund nicotene so they are still not good for you, just not as bad

Untreated tobacco - ie a Tobacco plant where you can grab the leaves, dry them then smoke them.... it completely totaly, and utterly, illigeal here in Australia.

The only tobacco you can get, is the chemically treated stuff.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TigaHawk

That pretty much comes down to the fact that the govt isn't collecting any excise on it. About 10 years ago there was a roaring trade in 'chop-chop' tobacco mainly from QLD where, as you say, the raw product was simply picked, dried the minimum amount, roughly shredded and shipped out in 1kg packs to eager interstate customers but the feds got onto that racket really quickly (by their usual standards at least). There were some claimed health issues as well related to possible pesticide contamination but it was the tax office that stopped it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is why I switched over from regular cigs to electronic. While it still contains chemicals (about 5-10 instead of thousands), it is a healthier alternative. I can actually smell, taste and I have a lot more energy - my lung capacity has increased 10 fold.

When you quit regular cigarettes and go to electronic (vapor) cigarettes you will still go through a withdrawal of sorts. The addiction is not only the nicotine in the cigarette - but also from the thousands of chemicals.

I have struggled with trying to quit for many years - and I don't want this to sound like an infomercial or anything, but the electronic cig is saving me a lot more money, and perhaps even letting me live longer.

What I do find quite odd is the fact that while these electronic cigarettes are a safer alternative, the governments of the world are trying to ban them. Can you say big tobacco influence?

In September 2010, the FDA announced that it would begin regulating e-cigarettes, because they comprise both a drug and a drug delivery device. Following this announcement, the FDA began regulatory action against five American companies "for violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA), including unsubstantiated claims and poor manufacturing practices." The appeals court heard oral arguments on September 23rd 2010. On December the 7th, The appeals court ruled against the FDA in 3-0 unanimous decision, clearing the way for marketing of electronic cigarettes worldwide.

So while a line has been drawn in the proverbial sand, and a battle has been won - I can almost see the tobacco companies launching their own crusade of suits against electronic cigarette makers.

Cigarettes are poison - the quicker people remove themselves from the influence of these mega corporate killers, the faster they will fall.
edit on 2/12/2011 by kroms33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
About every reply I read on this thread can be considered off topic. The op asked a specific question.
Is it too hard to answer this specific question? What a bunch of trolling quacks we have here on ATS. I agree with the poster above about people leaving this site.

It is the likes of all of the posters that you think they are the messiah. Can I ask each of you, why did you join ATS? My reason was top find my truth. If you look at some of my posts you will see that I even have a problem sometimes keeping my cool. Look at some of my threads I posted and you will see that I am one of the ones getting tired of all the BS replies. This is getting to the point that I do not want to even be a part of ATS anymore.

KEEP YOUR BS REPLIES TOO YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!
The great posters are leaving because of moronic replies from "people" that do not give a damn.

To answer the op's question. No the label like you posted is not on my cig pack.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

.About every reply I read on this thread can be considered off topic.

Very good , your post consisted of 11 lines , 10 of which are OFF-TOPIC . Do you fail to see the irony in that ?

From a pack of boro's : Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide .

From a pack of boro smooth : Quitting smoking now greatly reduces serious risks to your health .

From another brand : same as #1 above .
edit on 12-2-2011 by okbmd because: eta

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
OP, you must be extremely young and certainly not a gardener. Nothing wrong with any of that, it is what it is, you can not be what you are not. Thank you for bringing what you've found to the forum.
Hopefully others will learn. Nicotine has been used as a natural insecticide for centuries. This is not taught in school. Precious little is taught in school that would help anyone to be wise to ways of the natural world and in any way self-sufficient.

Plants, like animals, are in a fight for survival. They develop various defenses over time (evolve) against whatever attacks them. Plants are attacked by other organisms. Bacteria, virus, fungus, animals including humans and insects. You know that some plants are poisonous to humans. Some plants have developed chemical defenses against insects that are also poisonous to humans to various degrees. Despite what any corporation is putting in or on their tobacco products, despite what compounds are released in the smoke, the danger has always been there.

Nicotine Spray Insecticide

Another frugal, vegetable plot tip for you. If the insects are winning and your soap spray just isn’t strong enough to cope with a massive infestation why not try a nasty nicotine spray insecticide? Smoking may be bad for us, but it can be even worse for insect pests in the garden.

Nicotine spray is a very effective insecticide against many pests including weevils, caterpillars and leaf miners. It is strong though so beware of using too liberally as it will endanger helpful predator insects too.

Do not use on any members of the tomato/potato family. Tobacco is related and can pass on viral diseases to its relations. Do not use on the edible parts of crops within one month of harvesting.

Tobacco and its evil cousin, nicotine? They're good -- as a pesticide

Some Pesticides Permitted in Organic Gardening

Nicotine is extracted from tobacco or related Nicotiana species and is one of the oldest botanical insecticides in use today. It's also one of the most toxic to warm-blooded animals and it's readily absorbed through the skin.

I am a Rutgers certified Master Gardener. I have never used these nicotine based insecticides despite some being categorized as "organic". This due to the danger in handling as well as the possibility of spreading tobacco borne diseases to related crops like tomatoes.

Nicotine is just one chemical substance in tobacco that is dangerous to humans. I have never felt the need to explore tobacco use any further than that. One is enough for me and I have yet to hear of one benefit from tobacco use that would balance that.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wait, this is a thread to discuss if cigarettes contain harmful material?

Has common sense gone out the window with this site? If you smoke in the first place, you should be aware that it will do some severe damage to your lungs, heart, etc.

Smoking = poisoning yourself.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not sure they'd add thallium to cigarettes, but I did some research and found this:

How might I be exposed to thallium? Eating food contaminated with thallium may be a major source of exposure for most people. Breathing workplace air in industries that use thallium. Smoking cigarettes. Living near hazardous waste sites containing thallium (may result in higher than normal exposures). Touching or, for children, eating soil contaminated with thallium. Breathing low levels in air and water.

Full Article:

www.medicinenet.com...

So, maybe they do have thallium in. There was a movie called Young Poisoners Handbook fantastic true story movie about a guy that poisons people with Thallium, nasty stuff, great movie. I highly recommend it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I've been a smoker for roughly 8 or 9 years and I'm well aware that there are a large number of toxic and dangerous chemicals in cigarettes. On the internet you can find lists of all ingredients in various cigarette brands.
Yes, cigarettes are dangerous, disgusting and toxic to your body and are essentially a slow suicide.
But we still smoke them.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Talio is Thallium, as one can see from a Periodic Table in Espanol www.ptable.com...

This is a toxic metal and is likely bioconcentrated in the plant from the soil along with Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury. Tobacco does this sort of thing as do many other plants.

Most of the heavy metals are delivered in the 'tar' portion. It is possible that Mexico requires a statement concerning Thallium on the label but the other metals are in there also. Counterfeit cigarettes can have as much as ten times the amounts of these metals in them because the tobacco is not planted in the same field every year and has new soil to extract metals from.

Many of the other things you see in lists of bad things in tobacco are the result of pyrolysis [means cooked but not combusted] of the organic material. This is the stuff that comes out just ahead of the flame front and is essentially the 'fumes' from heated organic matter. Smoking any type of leaf will produce most of this, including carbon monoxide, so smoking hemp doesn't improve things. An additive used to enhance tobacco addiction is sugar. When pyrolyzed, sugar produces formaldehyde which enhances the effects of the nicotine and sinks the hooks deeper into the addict. It also speeds up the development of cancer.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

try Camel.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I used to smoke. Gave up recently. Cold turkey, Hard but no regrets.

The warnings on the packets are (justifiable) scaremongering.
Thallium and other poisons have probably been present in mass produced cigarettes for years.
Now they don't want people to smoke (whoever they may be...
) they are putting scary stuff on the packets including pictures of smoker's lungs and cancerous faces etc eg.
Pointing out that they contain poisons is another tactic in the campaign to wipe out the smoking habit.

To answer the OP's question, in the UK and Spain there are no pictures on the packets (yet). They just say things like "Smoking can cause a slow and painful death" or "Fumar provoca cancer mortal de pulmon" etc.

This might be helpful to someone on here: I focused on giving up the NICOTINE first and then the actual physical habit of putting chopped leaves rolled up in paper in my mouth and setting fire to it and then inhaling it...
Which now seems pretty crazy to me!

It's the nicotine that makes giving up tough.
Having said that, nicotine may actually be beneficial in some ways!

edit on 12-2-2011 by BruceWayne because: eats shoots and leaves

edit on 12-2-2011 by BruceWayne because: emoticon

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

damn and i always thought i was smokin vitamins

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Cigarettes have chemicals and drugs in them that creates an addiction. If one can't understand an addiction, they have never had one. To the women. Imagine having chocolate ripped away from you for the rest of your life, cigarettes are an addiction 10 times worse. Men imagine, throwing sex away........addiction of cigarettes are 0.01% worse ha, I kid....it is much worse 5%. Commercials and peer pressure invite them to the party, the drug nicotine asks them to move in and be a life partner.........for the gay peeps that don't understand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join