It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marlboro cigarettes contains poison?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Ok gals and boys, i have a small question for you all

First, i would like to explain, i currently live in Mexico, i'm living a very wonderful life here, no complains so far, but that's not what this thread is all about, thing is, yesterday i noticed some labels on a pack of cigarettes, marlboro to be exact, next you can see a capture of what i saw:

Basically this says, translated to English from Spanish (top to bottom, or left to right because ATS somehow messed up the pic, it was ok on my cel phone):

1. If you smoke while pregnant you can suffer an abortion
2. Tobacco smoke can reduce the amount of oxygen and nourishment your baby can receive
3. Contains Talio, venom used in raticide and insectiside

What? what the eff is Talio? is that Thallium? wikipedia says so here, a kind of metal element

Thallium is highly toxic and was used in rat poisons and insecticides. Its use has been cut back or eliminated in many countries because of its nonselective toxicity. Because of its use for murder, thallium has gained the nicknames "The Poisoner's Poison" and "Inheritance Powder" (alongside arsenic).[3]

Used to kill rats and insects? and that's part of cigarettes? really?

My question is, does the same warning shows up on US or other country's cigarette packs of marlboro or other brands?

I have to say i'm really shocked, how can people knowingly smoke this crap? i don't smoke, i know about the social aspect as i have friends who smoke, i did smoke for some time years ago, but really didn't liked it, i just think is dumb, sorry that's just my personal view, but i'm actually shocked to learn that cigarettes are made from this crap, and people just don't care? or is this just something localized to Mexico? i don't think so, but lets see what other ATS members have to say about that.

There were also a couple more warnings, something like "smoking can kill your baby" and "stop smoking is good for you" or something like that, but i'm really shocked to see that warning about the venom, really what the f...!

Kai

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
cigarettes kill people.. this surprises you?

CX

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Probably.

If that doesn't put you off smoking, go check out the rest of the crap they put in them.

CX.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

You so realize that cigarettes contain numerous chemical substances and some of them are toxic and poisonous. It has been proven over and over again. I thought everyone knew that. That's why it says "Smoking kills", "Smoking cause cancer" and so on cigarette packages. At least in European Union. Also all tobacco advertisements are banned here.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Yeah um ALL cigarettes contain poison. How can people not know this?

"Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT."
Link

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I lived in Richmond,VA for a while where the Phillip Morris Headquarters is. Even on their tour of the facility they mention "chemical waste" that is secreted from the production of cigarettes. I think theres enough info so far on this thread and the well known fact cigarettes kill people haha.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
When I looked up your word, it sent me to Wickipedia in spanish at the side there was a periodic table with the symbol TI, looking that up I got this: chemistry.about.com... So I'm thinking thalium is wrong.

I then looked up poisons in cigarettes : wiki.answers.com... I did not see either thalium or titanium so I have no clue what that means on the package.

I have to ask, did you just crawl out from under a rock? Did you not know that cigarettes are bad for you?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I think the big letters across the pack saying SMOKING KILLS covers it don't you.

link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

"Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT."
Link

Yeah well, saying a lot of chemical names is not good enough, do you really think people knows what those names mean? well people is mostly not aware, if you go and hand a bottle of rat poison to someone you know is a smoker and you ask him/her to drink it, will he/her drink it? what about handing over a pack of cigarettes, that's what i mean, people seems to be unaware of what the real contents is, or how it can harm, my question was, are cigarette packs in other countries labeled the same as the one i captured on Mexico?

link   
if you want to smoke then roll your own as loose tobbaco does not have chemicals added to it although the smoke will still contain tar a for you, jund nicotene so they are still not good for you, just not as bad

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Yes, Infact i dont think any part of the ciggarette doesnt contain poison, But i still love em anyway!....Poisonous cancer givers for all

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Thallium is also injected into the circulatory systems of patients receiving cardiac imaging after a heart attack. (or at least it was in the mid 90s)
Second line.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Kaifan

Yes, Infact i dont think any part of the ciggarette doesnt contain poison, But i still love em anyway!....Poisonous cancer givers for all

LOL ok!!

I don't smoke, as i said on the OP, but ok, whatever suits you better

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
When I looked up your word, it sent me to Wickipedia in spanish at the side there was a periodic table with the symbol TI, looking that up I got this: chemistry.about.com... So I'm thinking thalium is wrong.

I then looked up poisons in cigarettes : wiki.answers.com... I did not see either thalium or titanium so I have no clue what that means on the package.

I have to ask, did you just crawl out from under a rock? Did you not know that cigarettes are bad for you?

No, i didn't crawl from under a rock, did you read my OP? i specifically asked, does this same warning shows up on cigarette packs on other countries? did you miss that?

Do you think you can come and try to insult people, are you one of those who recently joined ATS and think you know everything, at least you need to work on you reading skills, are you rude or what, this thread is not about finding out smoking is bad, but finding out if people on other countries is aware of what that crap is made of, go away with your useless attempt to feel superior

edit on 11-2-2011 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2011 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Australian cigarettes have warnings but they don't say what's in them. Recently fire retardant was added because of bushfires being started from people throwing their butts out their car windows.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Again, what i was looking for, as requested on my OP, is, does anyone else have seen similar warnings on cigarette packs on other countries? i guess i was not clear enough, some clarification follows:

- I don't smoke, i feel like throwing up when i am next to someone who smokes
- I don't want to smoke nor i want to find an excuse to say smoke is not bad
- I want to know if people is really aware of this crap which can be found in cigarettes!

My question, again, is, have you seen similar warnings on other countries and on other brands? i am not a smoker, i have never really looked at cigarette packs in detail before, so i was unaware of those labels, i just want to know if this is a standard warning or if this is something that only some countries use.

Hope that clears it

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
All cigarettes contain poison. These compounds are created when you smoke. It's not like they are actively adding all of these substances, it's chemical reactions. The warnings in Canada are quite large, half the pack now with nasty looking pictures

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Why are you unable to do your own research? en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

My question is, does the same warning shows up on US or other country's cigarette packs of marlboro or other brands?

No , I have never saw this warning on any brand of cigarettes here in the U.S.

I have smoked for over 40 years , and have smoked the brand you mention for at least 20 years , and have seen various warnings , but never the one you mentioned .

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Link

Most of those poisons you listed, are added to the tobacco/filters/paper by the companies. People who smoke tobacco that they grew themselves, don't get all that junk. Pretty much all you get from the "home grown" tobacco leaves, is the tar and nicotine. Its a widely known fact that cigarette companies, add those chemicals to addict people and kill them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join