It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water flow on Mars! NASA Scientist says.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
It is confirmed: Water flow on Mars and drained away through underground cracks! A tabletop experiment in University of Texas has bolstered this theory. This is the evidence that there is water on Mars and that floods have formed the huge canyons like Valles Marinensis on the "Red" planet.

Hebes Chasma's formation has been a puzzle (Image: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin/G. Neukum)

A model of Hebes Chasma using sand and tiny glass spheres (top, with elevations shown in false colour) matches the topography of the real canyon (bottom) (Top image: Tim Dooley; bottom image: Alan Gillespie/NASA)

www.newscientist.com...
gsabulletin.gsapubs.org...

Gushing flood formed giant Martian sinkhole.

LIKE water draining from an unplugged bathtub, meltwater flowing through deep cracks in the Martian rock may explain the origins of the enormous Hebes Chasma canyon.

About 100,000 cubic kilometres of material had to be removed to form the scar, which is five times the width and depth of the Grand Canyon. But where that material went has been a mystery, as there are no surface channels through which water and sediment could have exited.

Water from the canyon may have erupted onto the surface again. This would account for a nearby valley called Echus Chasma that looks as if it was carved by water, but for which there is no other obvious source. "You've got signs that a huge amount of water just erupted out of nowhere from depth and flowed down, scouring out a valley," Jackson says.

Other related Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will take for people to start realising that life (maybe even intelligent?) in the universe might be as close as in our own solar system.

A little bit more evidence to add to the ever growing pile

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Right Romekje... right!

But seems that there is a "good wind" recently on NASA high chambers.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Excellent find!

Originally posted by Romekje
I wonder how long it will take for people to start realising that life (maybe even intelligent?) in the universe might be as close as in our own solar system.

My thoughts exactly... It would makes sense to me that life is on every planet.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
what if we were the ones who lived there a long time ago and the knowage of the past was lost some how. we landed on earth and had to start all over again...

really interesting find. i wounder if there really is liquid water, is there life on mars?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
so are they saying that this water flow happened recently? I mean, I thought it was pretty much a fact by now that water flowed on Mars in the distant past. I even saw on, I think it was the show The Universe on History ch., that there is more frozen water in the martian poles than there is in the Great Lakes.

But if water is flowing on Mars right now, we need to send probes to these spots asap because those will be the areas most likely to have life

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Many truths are slowly coming to light. When all told, it will boggle people's minds.
Remember what Ben Rich of Lockheed Martin said (We can send ET back home)
Nice find, SnF

edit on 11-2-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

A little bit more evidence to add to the ever growing pile

I feel many believe that there may be intelligent life in our system, as well as the universe proper. Although, unfortunately, if anyone says that it could be, the other side starts asking for that all important "proof positive"...Proof of such a thing would be fantastic...only we all know there is no acceptable proof to those that must have it to believe.

As for water on Mars...unproven of course...in a lot of the posted photos over the years by NASA and members on this site, I have noticed many that appear to be lakes and rivers. They look just like aerial photos taken of Earth...including what looks like Dragons Blood Trees from above in a couple pics as well.

The truth will come out soon...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So how long has this been there? They've scouted that planet hundreds of times yet all of a sudden there is water? NASA is always hiding stuff, they been knew if you ask me. I have a feeling disclosure could be soon. Ah.. let's hope so.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Good information. Tx

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
So how long has this been there? They've scouted that planet hundreds of times yet all of a sudden there is water? NASA is always hiding stuff, they been knew if you ask me. I have a feeling disclosure could be soon. Ah.. let's hope so.

Hebes Chasma is not a new feature. It may have been around for a long, long time.

Plus, the idea that Mars once had flowing water is not a brand new idea to NASA. NASA scientists have been saying for many years now that there are geological features on mars that were formed by flowing water in the past. NASA has been quite convinced for some time now that water once flowed on mars -- and they even think that it is possible for water to flow (albeit only for limited times) even today.

Habes Chasma is one of those features that NASA scientists have for years thought that could have been formed by flowing water, but scientists could not see any signs of ancient water inlets or outlets -- so the mystery was "How did the water leave Hebes Chasma?". This new theory about the water exiting Hebes Chasma like water from a bathtub drain may help solve the mystery of its watery origin.
edit on 2/11/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI
what if we were the ones who lived there a long time ago and the knowage of the past was lost some how. we landed on earth and had to start all over again...

really interesting find. i wounder if there really is liquid water, is there life on mars?

I had an experience some time ago that made me believe that is quite likely... here's a description: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Didn't someone on ATS call this over a year or so ago and then people tried to debunk it to death?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Da da disclosure. Funny how TPTB work. It's always in slow little footsteps or its just a huge shock to the system. Taste by taste will soon have the full meal.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What happened to water on Mars anyways? Would it evaporate on Mars? If so, where does it go seeing as how there's no atmosphere? Or did it just seep underground? Just curious because I really don't know.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Awesome post OP. The concept of the water draining through the crack does create some new questions for me...
Are there vast chasms inside mars filled with liquid water... It is obvious that water accumulation on the surface is nearly impossible now with the tiny atmosphere and lack of magnetic field on Mars... and the surface is far to hostile to support intelligent humanoid life (or life as WE know it...) But if the water is draining away through the cracked surface of the planet... there could still be a VAST ocean inside, Maybe the stories of martians living underground is more fact than fiction.

edit on 11/2/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: brain goes faster than fingers... typo's occur

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas
What happened to water on Mars anyways? Would it evaporate on Mars? If so, where does it go seeing as how there's no atmosphere? Or did it just seep underground? Just curious because I really don't know.

When the Rover (Spirit I think) [Edit: I was wrong, corrected 2 posts below in a reply from another] went to the Northern ice cap and dug a little under the surface it found water (frozen water of course) which evaporated over the next day. MARS has an atmosphere, its just a very thin one... without a magnetic field to protect it the solar winds have stripped it away and created the desolate landscape. It wouldn't be wrong to speculate that the water may even be there (frozen) on the surface but under layers and layers of sand and rocks... The vast majority of the surface water (I believe) has been sucked right off the planet, but the potential for it to still be trapped inside seems likely. We will have to wait and see, I guess....

I also want to add that IMO as the sun continues to heat up (as it ages) Mars will become more and more like Earth. Enough melting ice around the poles and evaporation (also with the sustaining methane gases they have found in the atmosphere... which they still have no idea what is creating it) The atmosphere will most likely thicken with time (actually I have looked at photos of mars over the past 30 years and it looks as if the atmosphere is ALREADY getting thicker) If only we could figure out how to strengthen its magnetic field (I think mars needs its own HAARP station *lol*)
edit on 11/2/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/2/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas
There is an atmosphere (but a thin one), and the water would evaporate. The weather on Mars is such that the water vapor and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere mostly migrates to and collects near the poles, then condenses back into the polar ice caps.

EDIT TO ADD:
Liquid water on Mars for the most part would evaporate immediately -- and frozen water-ice would sublimate into water vapor immediately. This is because the air pressure on most of Mars is not high enough for liquid water to be able to exist -- i.e., their needs to be a certain amount of air pressure to "push" H20 molecules together to for liquid water.

The same thing would happen here on Earth in a vacuum chamber. If all of the air is evacuated from a vacuum chamber, causing the air pressure in the chamber to be practically "zero", liquid water would "boil" or evaporate into water vapor, even at room temperatures.

There are situations, however, that liquid water mixed with minerals could exist exist on mars -- and it's possible that there may be very very "localized" places that the air pressure could support liquid water.
edit on 2/11/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

It wasn't the rover Spirit, but rather the Phoenix Lander (which is not a rover) that found water ice near Mars' North Pole.

Phoenix also saw what may be liquid water condensing on the lander itself. The water could have remained liquid for a while (instead of immediately evaporating) because of levels of salt and perchlorates

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Ah, right, forget it had a thin atmosphere. Thanks for the replies!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join