It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally got the rings of death!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I got my xbox Elite in about sept 07 and it was amazing.
In about June/July 09 I got the RROD..... I was pissed off.

Phoned Microsoft support and they arranged for it to be sent off and fixed..... a guy came to my house and picked it up and then came and dropped it off two weeks later.
I thought that was fine.... It didn't cost me a penny either.

However recently, like 3 weeks ago....I got the "Open Tray" error... where the console does not read any discs.... games, cd's movies.... anything.
That annoyed me.

Microsoft wanted £68 to fix it.... I could get a 2nd hand one for that so found a local guy to do it for £35.... anyway, on the day I was due to take it to the guy... I thought I'll try it one last time... I'd tried it regularly for about 2 weeks and it never worked.... so I try it this day and BAM!! It worked.... fired up and reads all games and runs with no issues now.

I don't get it at all.

I really wish games consoles had more of a life span.

I'm shocked you got 6 six years out of it Chad... Mainly because it hasn't been out 6 years, even now LOL (joking
)

But seriously.... you're the exception to the rule.....most people I know never got more than a year or two out of them.

Pretty crap really.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I knew I bought it sometime in 05, couldn't remember when though, seems it was released in Australia in December so yeah it's closer to 5 years, my bad!

Temperamental bloody things, aren't they?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I was thinking about it and it seems that most electrical products have just got worse over the years.
Most only come with a one year warranty now and they all want more money to protect your goods for 2,3 or 5 years.... It's ridiculous man.

Do they really only expect your console to last a year or two?

Are Microsoft that greedy?

But then as I said, It's not only them.... It's most electrical devices now.

It's crazy man.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As your getting a new one anyway you should try some of the groovy home fixes for the RRoD

I seem to remember they include sticking a penny to somewhere on the graphics possessor, wrapping it in a towel and leaving it running for a few hours or putting it in the oven.

If not it's time for some fun with a hammer and some pent up rage

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I had three die on me in the space of a year and half! .... I eventually gave in and when Microsoft fixed my last one, I traded it in for a PS3 slim and Batman Arkham Asylum! best thing I ever did
... I do miss the control pad on the 360 though, the most comfortable pad I ever held!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
it must be contagious... i bought one of the x360 elite's and about 6 months after i purchased it i got the ring of death, i sent it back to ms and they sent me a new one, no charges incurred... my warranty expired may 2009, and monday i got the E74 error, with the #4 light blinking red while i was playing castlevania...

so i went on to xbox.com/support and for the repair of this particular error they said that my warranty didn't expire until may 2011, so i am sending it back and apparently i won't have to pay again this time... again...

i've been thinking about just getting that new one with the pretty black gloss.. i recently got my son the kinect, and i've played it so much more than he has... we have a wii also, and i must say the kinect is SO much more exhausting, and absolutely hilarious to watch play, and look at the pictures it takes...

good luck with getting back to gaming man

btw, i have the elite and purchased in mid08... after that RROD 6months after purchase, i hadn't had any problems until monday...

edit on 11-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: add info

edit on 11-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: ugh! add...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Have you tried the towel trick?

The 360 cooling system is garbage. You think they spend all that money trying to get good techs in there, but do not want to cool it as too much room that would take up. Do people care about needing it to be so small, people want it to work, and they really should make sure the consoles have sufficient cooling in design stage, and quiet fans, lol.
edit on 2/11/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

so true... when i sent mine back for the RROD they said that it was a cooling issue, and the newer version they sent back to me was to have a larger fan..

but yes, to me it doesn't matter how big it is, i mean seriously, if it was as big as a movie theater i'd be totally stoked! of course i would want the screen that size as well, but yeah, it's hooked up to my 47" flat screen tv, so it's not like i want to put it in my pocket or take it on trips, for that i'll just borrow my sons psp

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Open Tray error on 360 which basically means that every time you insert a game or any CD in the console it wont read it and act as if theres nothing inside the console saying "open tray" on the welcome screen.
The first thing that you want to do is restart your console. If you can't restart, simply unplug your console, and plug it back in.
The next thing you want to do is check all the cables on the back of your Xbox. If you have to, pull out each one, and put them back in place.
The next step you'll want to try is by removing the hard drive, and putting it back in. If you have another one laying around, try placing that one instead to see if that works.
If you've been trying the open disk error with the same game, try putting in a newer game. It may be the game's problem.
The last thing that you want to try BUT keep in mind that it's going to void your warranty! You'll want to open up your Xbox, clean out the dust on the inside, and clean the DVD lenses with a Q TIP, or a cotton bud.
Do not do it without knowing how to do it- You can have guidance from here
www.gamingupholds.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Ive had the horrible ring of death on 2 360's. As far as I can remember if it is a ring of death issue the cost to get it repaired by Microsoft is about 100 bucks, and they pay for the shipping and everything, you can print out the postage and take it to the post office, or have the P.O pick it up for you.

If you try any of the "tricks" be sure that you are not going to try to send it back after, they will find out, and not return your X-Box. I figure that the 100 bucks is a good deal to get the repair, if you truly want your system.

BTW, I have NEVER heard of anyone have a 360 for that long and not get the "rings", you should get a reward or something

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Open Tray error on 360 which basically means that every time you insert a game or any CD in the console it wont read it and act as if theres nothing inside the console saying "open tray" on the welcome screen.
The first thing that you want to do is restart your console. If you can't restart, simply unplug your console, and plug it back in.
The next thing you want to do is check all the cables on the back of your Xbox. If you have to, pull out each one, and put them back in place.
The next step you'll want to try is by removing the hard drive, and putting it back in. If you have another one laying around, try placing that one instead to see if that works.
If you've been trying the open disk error with the same game, try putting in a newer game. It may be the game's problem.
The last thing that you want to try BUT keep in mind that it's going to void your warranty! You'll want to open up your Xbox, clean out the dust on the inside, and clean the DVD lenses with a Q TIP, or a cotton bud.
Do not do it without knowing how to do it- You can have guidance from here
www.gamingupholds.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant

I had three die on me in the space of a year and half! .... I eventually gave in and when Microsoft fixed my last one, I traded it in for a PS3 slim and Batman Arkham Asylum! best thing I ever did
... I do miss the control pad on the 360 though, the most comfortable pad I ever held!

you can use 360 controller on PS3

don't buy this one in video below, the cheap ones on ebay for $15 do exactly same thing

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Went and bought a new one today, much more fancier than my old one, hdmi, wireless and bundled with kinect.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Went and bought a new one today, much more fancier than my old one, hdmi, wireless and bundled with kinect.

that'll show Microsoft!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by canadabcpg

Clearly I don't have an issue with microsoft...

They've served me reasonably well over the years.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
congrats on the new 360

I had the original xbox the day it came out , still works like the day it came out, even modded it to
my 360 day it came out and still works no rings yet ( knocks on virtual wood ) was all po'ed when I found out It didn't have HDMI, and now they have larger drives
(mines still only 4gb )
It is loud though , louder then when I first bought it.
I've read about the over heating on many boards, so I always tried to keep it away from
closed spaces, not sure if that helped or not.

I was looking at a kinect yesterday was thinking wow that's really cool but I can't see myself being the controller.
Now if it worked for older games like Morrowind ( backwards compatible on 360) or Oblivion oh heck yea I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I could see myself now really smacking around the adoring fan.

I'd like to see that "milo" game that one looked neat.

I still have my Phat PS2, which is starting to show its age "disk error" but only use that for Finale Fantasy and DragonQuest games.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I was going to get a kinect but you need a pretty damn big space to run about in for it to work.
They didn't account for small English houses when making it, I bet the Japanese are going to have even more of a problem

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Just how small are English houses? The room I use my Kinect in is pretty small and I get by with it just fine even with a couch, chair and TV stand taking up room.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Mines 6 years old now
poor little xboxy. His disk tray doesnt work properly.
If he dies I will cry
then pay the tenner to get it fixed XD

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join