It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sled dog massacre and the meat on your plate.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Most of you have read about the disgusting slaughter of sled dogs by the company that provided sled dogs during the recent winter olympics near Vancouver. The way the slaughter occurred was truly gross, dogs attacking the slaughterer trying to save their lives, etc.

But I have to ask if there is any difference between the heinous sled dog massacre, and what happens in slaughter houses every day? The trauma and fear experienced by the animals is probably similar. Sorry meat-eaters, but this is true.

The key to eating meat is to not think about what the animals experienced as they got closer to the point where they would be murdered. And it is murder, no matter what your opinion about meat is. The animals aren't giving themselves to the slaughter. They agree that it is murder.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Hello

True or false:

A lion will eat a deer to feed itself and survive?
A man will eat a cow to feed itself and survive?

A lion shoots the deer in the head painlessly killing it before eating it ALIVE?
A man... oh you get the idea.

Gain a little perspective please.

-Lightrule

P.S. -
Murder - n.
1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
2. Slang Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder.
3. A flock of crows.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
A man will eat a cow to feed himself. But does a man have to do this? I don't.

I feel less critical of human hunters killing a deer than a human eating a chicken-burger that is a result of raising a chicken in a confined cage for it's entire life, and then cutting it's head off.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I have to go to bed, but I know meat-eaters will work hard to justify their blood-thirsty habit. It is what keeps you from graduation from this nasty place.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
That's your choice. I don't look down on you for it, in fact I respect your choice. I eat raw 90% of the time, but I also personally believe the diet of man requires the intake of meat from time to time as throughout history we have ate it and physiologically we have evolved around that fact.

I live in a rural area that is famous for its world class beef (Alberta) and have been present on slaughter day at the local butcher shop, I also raise my own chickens and turkeys (free range) and slaughter them myself so I know a bit about how to avoid adding cruelty to the slaughter. I hate to use the term for lack of a better one... but "headshots" really are the best way to avoid any possible feelings of pain when it comes to this topic.

Animals eating animals is just a fact of life on this planet. Think that plant you are eating doesn't feel pain? Hmm?

-Lightrule

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Huge difference! The cattle that are killed in the slaughter house are killed for a reason: To eat, to make leather, hooves and bone are used etc etc, it is not a pointless slaughter. It is still slaughter and it is still causing pain I make no illusions.

I am an omnivore who is very sympathetic to the vegan lifestyle. I do think the lifestyle is preferable, lighter on the planet, more sustainable and less cruel. It still might be cruel, it has been shown in lab studies that vegetation might have something resembling thought and awareness of its surroundings.

Finally my personal rule that I only broke once: I will not eat a predator. I feel it is disrespectful and wrong. But that is only a personal feeling. (I broke the rule by eating shark)

For all the meat loving veggy haters: You have no argument in the modern world give it up just admit you eat meat because its tasty and an easy source of certain vitamins and proteins.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

I think everyone should be present when their meat is slaughtered. The entire world would eat a little differently don't ya think? Mc who? Anyway I think thats fantastic.

I looked into raw foods and if you're doing 90% I just want to stop and say wow, thats awesome and certainly not easy.

edit on 11-2-2011 by Jinglelord because: I'm stupid

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Myself, I cannot think of this in terms of morality or a lack thereof. Life has several stark, cold, hard truths. And eating food is one of them.

One day I will die and my body will most likely be ingested by a variety of bacteria and insects. These bacteria and insects will enter the food chain and begin working their way back up the ladder. The bug that eats me will be, in turn, eaten by a lizard, that is eaten by a weasel, that is, then eaten by a....

Life thrives upon death. It simply is how things work. Even vegans ingest plants that were once alive and are now dead. The difference between myself, an omnivore, and the militant vegan types, is that I have come to terms with the reality that my existence requires that other things die. And that I, eventually, will also fall to this same reality.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Just because everything dies does that mean that we should disregard life? My admittedly hypocritical objections to eating meat are twofold: It is not as sustainable (Simple math with the amount of energy lost in growing meat vs just eating the plants and skipping the middle cow), and the second is peoples separation from understanding what they are doing when they eat meat.

It is a hobby of mine while eating a particularly good burger with someone to begin talking about the cow that died to make that burger. I usually get some leftover burger when I do that. A person who doesn't recognize and respect that an animal died to feed them doesn't deserve the meat.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

It is a hobby of mine while eating a particularly good burger with someone to begin talking about the cow that died to make that burger. I usually get some leftover burger when I do that. A person who doesn't recognize and respect that an animal died to feed them doesn't deserve the meat.

Wow.

I'm sure you are just a joy to dine with.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Although I completely disagree with the killing of domesticated animals, such as sled dogs, or any pet for that matter. I would also like to point out, what if the plant's you eat could walk about, what would you think they would do?

And let me raise the question to you, what would this world be like if 300 years ago, every human decided to stop eating meat and become vegan or vegetarian instead? The "animal population" would severely out number ours. We are atop of the food chain for a reason.

There will always be vegetarians. There will always be carnivorous. Do people that eat meat sit back and say to you "You are absolutely disgusting. How can you prey on such beautiful defenseless plants. You should be ashamed of yourself". No? Didn't think so.

My perspective on this world is your going to have a split population on many major decisions, whether it be abortion, eating meat, a 5 year old being taught rudimentary racism, or religion. Most people start arguments and debate amongst every single solitary issue that they "believe" is wrong or right. Some issues need to be brought up, others do not. What is so wrong about holding onto your belief's and opinion's to yourself, rather then trying to stir up a pointless argument on an internet forum?

The key to eating meat is to not think about what the animals experienced as they got closer to the point where they would be murdered. And it is murder, no matter what your opinion about meat is. The animals aren't giving themselves to the slaughter. They agree that it is murder.

I don't know bro. Do you think everyday about the clothes you wear, the car you drive, the oil in your gas tank, the metal's in your computer, the pain and suffering that goes on TO HUMANS everyday to make your life more "pleasant". Do I think about a couple of cow's getting slaughtered when I eat my cheese steak? Hell No. Unless your debating cannibalism, please stop with this BOLOGNA!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Myself, I cannot think of this in terms of morality or a lack thereof. Life has several stark, cold, hard truths. And eating food is one of them.

One day I will die and my body will most likely be ingested by a variety of bacteria and insects. These bacteria and insects will enter the food chain and begin working their way back up the ladder. The bug that eats me will be, in turn, eaten by a lizard, that is eaten by a weasel, that is, then eaten by a....

Life thrives upon death. It simply is how things work. Even vegans ingest plants that were once alive and are now dead. The difference between myself, an omnivore, and the militant vegan types, is that I have come to terms with the reality that my existence requires that other things die. And that I, eventually, will also fall to this same reality.

~Heff

Simply put, what you've said is how it works: life cannot exist without death.

One cannot simply, nor morally choose between the death of an animal or the death of a plant without acknowledging that an animal has purpose as likewise does the plant. One could one choose the death of a plant over the death of an animal, but one must also realize that consuming a plant reduces such food for other herbivors, and thus must likewise accept that nearly every plant will at some point be consumed by some animal and any such animal with likewise be decay and be injested by plant matter, thus making the choice of "what to eat" a moot point at best.

So, a human, arguably an omnivore whether by design or evolution, should feel grateful upon realizing its prospects and benefits of consuming such matter it requires and yet should rejoice upon realizing it's not to be concerned with whether or not it is something neither an animal nor plant, or something either can provide.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I worked in abattoir for 12 months many moons ago,have seem many a lamb slaughtered on friends farms,i still eat meat thou,at the end of the day these animals wouldn't have been breed and raised if they weren't going to be used as food by humans,

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeSoCorny
Wow.

I'm sure you are just a joy to dine with.

I am!

I also enjoy discussing the amounts of "Other" allowed into ground meat and speculating on what that other could be...

Hey its more interesting than listening to someone ramble about some sports team or television show.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Absolutely I think the world would eat differently, especially in the USA. The average American diet honestly makes me feel sick to my stomach. For example, see a show called Man vs Food, disgusting, and not surprising in the least that it was dreamed up and is filmed in the USA. We have a guy eating 72oz. slabs of beef... 110lbs hamburgers (and I like a good hamburger! so much so that they are pretty much the only reason I don't eat 100% raw. That and chicken stir fry and turkey on thanksgiving.) The show slaps starving people right in the face as far as I'm concerned.

As for the props on eating raw, thank you. I always like to brag a little to people that show a little interest because well, honestly it is in everyone's best interest to look into it. If you can't grow your own vegetables/herbs/fruits it can be pretty expensive, but the benefits far out weigh any financial costs. For a few years now I have enjoyed a smaller belt size, more energy, clearer skin, faster healing, less gas and so on and so forth the list really does keep going. Won't lie, sometimes with friends I have to fight myself (sometimes them) to not order something really great sounding made of meat, but over time its gotten a lot easier, both with cravings and temptations... As I sit here now wanting a burger whist I eat my flax and homemade yogurt! HAHA

For anyone wanting some raw eating tips don't hesitate to PM.

-Lightrule

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I am!

I also enjoy discussing the amounts of "Other" allowed into ground meat and speculating on what that other could be...

Hey its more interesting than listening to someone ramble about some sports team or television show.

And....hey....I LOVE rambling about television shows!

I'm sorry, Jinglelord. I know you wanted us to be BFFs but I just don't think it will ever work out between us.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I really would like to become vegetarian. I have tried but at least once a week I need at least some chicken. Red meat I could do without though. I do like dairy products, not going to go that far.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Happy animals make tastier meals, that's good enough reason to not be abusive to animals you are intending to eat.

BSE, anyone? anyone? Feeding your animals the flesh of their own kind, now that's abominable.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
I really would like to become vegetarian. I have tried but at least once a week I need at least some chicken. Red meat I could do without though. I do like dairy products, not going to go that far.

Yeah...I don't care for red meat either. I love me some chicken though. But it can't be the gross veiny dark kind. Yuck.

I love dairy. Mmmph cheese and ice cream.

OH, and uh, yay TN!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Ground meat provided by whom?

I usually get 'ground meat'- (meaning ground beef) from the butcher, from a portion of sirloin and other meat I see and ground in front of me. There's little, if any speculation with regards to what's in my "ground meat". If you're willing to accept anything else from your butcher or grocer, that's your fault and not mine. So I see no reason for your boogie-boo, scardie-cat, ignorant accusations to affect me and what I eat so keep yourself out of my meals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join