It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this bird deadly or did he eat a frog?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Interesting video, learn something new everyday...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
very interesting indeed.

lesson...don't stick your finger in your mouth after handling wildlife.

thats one i like to stick by

and don't forget Pauls law....it states that "you can't fall off the floor"

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Maybe these two are distant relatives? Or maybe not.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Poison is "exactly" the same between the bird and dart frog, wow, makes me wonder what/if other different species create anything from their body that is "exactly" the same? I have never heard of anything....
Those are some trippy looking birds too, very distinct. I wonder if they use the poison to hunt or if it is just for defenses? Cool stuff

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Thats an evil looking bird too, it just says "touch me and yer gonna git it!".

I can't listen to the video as I am in bed on the laptop and will be beaten to death by my beloved if I wake her now (she only has 2 hours before she has to get up for work), does it say if this is highly toxic to humans, ie can kill or seriously screw up?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Is this bird deadly or did he eat a frog?

As per your question, I found this:

Pitohui is a genus of birds endemic to New Guinea, belonging to the family Pachycephalidae. Pitohuis are brightly colored, omnivorous birds. The skin and feathers of pitohuis contain powerful neurotoxic alkaloids of the batrachotoxin group. It is believed that these serve the birds as a chemical defense, either against ectoparasites or against visually guided predators such as snakes, raptors or humans. The birds do not produce batrachotoxin themselves that’s why they are not considered venomous but rather poisonous.
There are 6 species classified in this genus. The most notable species are the Hooded Pitohui and Variable Pitohui.

Source
So it is made by the birds in their feathers.
This link also mentions other species of poisonous birds and some do get the poison from their diets.

spec

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Is toxic in larger dose...the man in the video was just scratched, and he explains the effects of it very well

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I had no idea there are poisonous birds..And that is one mean looking bird! Good thread i learned something new today thanks~~

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I so would not want to have this bird mad at me.
I mean just look at it's eyes!
Scary stuff.
Great thread, learned something new!
peace

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

intresting,I wonder what the diet of the birds are?In the dart frog he pointed out the golden poisondart frog as it is known in the pet trade,we now know that their poison come from them eating ants and it is the akyloids in the ants that are use in the frog to manufacture their poison.It has also been observed that in the pet trade where you can control the frogs diet that they lose their toxic poison.proable do to the the diet feed to them in captivity,ie; pinhead crickets or fruit flies ect.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoyoshi
reply to post by Shdak

intresting,I wonder what the diet of the birds are?In the dart frog he pointed out the golden poisondart frog as it is known in the pet trade,we now know that their poison come from them eating ants and it is the akyloids in the ants that are use in the frog to manufacture their poison.It has also been observed that in the pet trade where you can control the frogs diet that they lose their toxic poison.proable do to the the diet feed to them in captivity,ie; pinhead crickets or fruit flies ect.

Evidently the birds get their toxins from the Choresine genus of beetles which make up part of their diet. Same circumstances as the frogs, just different toxin providers.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So it is a defense mechanism. It's amazing how these mechanisms are perpetuated. Other toxic prey animals use colour to give out a,"not to eat me" warning, others just imitate the colours. Maybe humans using warpaint as a warning is a throwback to a time when humans were seen as easy prey by larger mammals and reptiles... er, food for thought!
edit on 11-2-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Bloody dinosaures

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Awesome find! never knew birds could be poisonous......wonder if Bear Grylls would eat it?

new topics

top topics

join