It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 20 dead horses found on farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

More than 20 dead horses found on farm

www.horsetalk.co.nz

The West Virginia Department of Agriculture says it has activated its homeland security incident management team to assess the situation at the property in Greenbrier County.

Local reports indicate up to 26 horses have been found dead on the property, thought to be about 300 acres, since a tipoff to county officials on Wednesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hisz.rsoe.hu

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am confused by this story. It is also listed on the website: hisz.rsoe.hu...
as a biological hazard. However, the article hints at neglect.

Looking forward to updates on this story. If you know something more about this, please post. I would like to see if this is another unexplained mass animal death.

www.horsetalk.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Pretty sure it's poisoning of some type or some sort of gas leaking up through the ground...or maybe it will be some cover-up to something bigger. Horses eating MONSANTO grass!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

I thought about the birds here in Arkansas was gas coming up from the ground, but it would take a lot more than gas to kill a horse. I can't see it being neglect since they all died at once. And it is not New Years so the fireworks story is not going to work here.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This is the first I heard of this, but found a couple other sources. This article claims that they starved.

The Register-Herald of Beckley reports that Sheriff James Childers said a veterinarian had identified 21 dead horses. Childers said the animals apparently starved to death. He called the situation "pitiful."

www.whsv.com...

Well, this says the same thing, just quoting the same Sheriff.
www2.nbc4i.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
That is awful that they starved to death. But it is a relief that there is an explanation.

Do they often send in homeland security when animals starve to death?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I can't see it being neglect since they all died at once.

As far as I can tell, that is an assumption of yours. I have just read about 4 or 5 articles on this, and none say that they died quickly, or all died recently. Only that they were just found.

As far as the biological hazard, that could be because of the carcasses. The decaying carcasses themselves are a biological hazard.

reply to post by moonleaf

Do they often send in homeland security when animals starve to death?

I could be wrong here, but from what I can tell, that might just be a safety precaution, until they are positive it was starvation.

The National Incident Management System (NIMS),is intended to provide a uniform process for all levels of government,to work together in disaster situations to prepare, prevent, respond, and recover.

I summarized that a bit. More here- homelandsecurity.tamu.edu...

edit on 2/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

I think the Homeland Security Team, which you are picturing, and me too at first, is not quite what we would think. They need 48 hours of training, and it looks like most can be done online.

County emergency services directors are required to have 48 hours of training each year. Half of those hours are to be classroom hours while the other half may be independent study hours. The Federal Emergency Management Agency's online training site offers independent study courses.

This gives the NIMS requirements, for West Virginia. www.wvdhsem.gov...
edit on 2/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by moonleaf

I just found something while I was doing some deep reading, and it mentioned horse.

The main treatment for botulism is antitoxins, which are antibodies that bind to BT and prevent it from affecting nerve cells. Once the toxin is bound to the cell, antitoxin is ineffective against it, making rapid diagnosis critical to preventing further paralysis. Antibiotics are also administered to kill the bacteria. The currently available antitoxins are isolated from horses and can cause adverse reactions in people. Doctors must request antitoxin from the CDC

I hope they were not cooking this up at that farm.

edit on 2/11/2011 by coolottie because: left out an important word.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
So does this have something to do with the successive death of large amount of animals before?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I will keep a close eye on this thread i hope they get to the bottom of this..seems to be to many different stories in the media..please post any updates..

top topics

join