It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Won't Allow Student With Seizures to Take Marijuana Pill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What can be said about this?

I will start here...

en.wikipedia.org...

Ritalin. All too commonly prescribed to children with ADHD.

Methylphenidate belongs to the piperidine class of compounds and increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain through reuptake inhibition of the monoamine transporters. It also increases the release of dopamine and norepinephrine. MPH possesses structural similarities to amphetamine, and, though it is less potent, its pharmacological effects are even more closely related to those of coc aine.[1][2][3]

This sounds much safer. As a matter of fact some teachers ask the parents of their students to put their child on this drug. school.familyeducation.com...

How about Adderall?

en.wikipedia.org...

Also highly prescribed to young chidren for ADHD.

Adderall is widely reported to increase alertness, increase libido, increase concentration and overall cognitive performance, and, in general, improve mood, while decreasing user fatigue. It is available in two formulations: IR (Instant Release) and XR (Extended Release). The immediate release formulation is indicated for use in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy,[2] while the XR formulation is approved for use only with ADHD.[1]

Like other powerful stimulant drugs, such as methamphetamine and coc aine, Adderall directly affects the mesolimbic reward pathway in the brain. Because of this, Adderall has a relatively high potential for abuse and addiction, especially if the drug is misused.

High potential for abuse and addiction? Yes. Allowing these drugs is a lot more preferable to a marijuana pill to prevent seizures.

The stigma that follows marijuana prevents people with closed minds to see or care about the medicinal benefits. It is a natural substance, without all the other harmful additives that the above drugs contain.

Picking and choosing which drugs are "acceptable" when all of them are prescribed by a practitioner is ludicrous. The school should be ashamed for making a moral judgement instead of an educational one IMHO.

Ignorance is spreading like the plague it seems...

edit on 2/10/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
He's better off not going to a school that teaches that kind of close mindedness. Actually all the parents should threaten to pull their kids if this school is seriously going to make a kid choose between an education and suffering.
As americans we have bexome bitches. PICK YOUR BATTLES PEOPLE!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If he's not allowed to be under the influence at school, then they should definitely ban the kids who take stimulants for ADD because they are, quite literally, on legalized speed. What's the difference? Probably some administrator who decided to "take a stand" against the travesty (/sarcasm) that is any form of legal marijuana.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
A school should not have authority over a child's prescribed medicines.

They do not - they do not care what the kid takes. However, they have rules that apply to everyone.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
That's so whack, but honestly I can't say that I'm suprised. One of my friends got suspended a while back for a whole semester because he had a pill bottle in his bag that smelled like weed. There was no weed in it, but it just smelt like it. And the teacher that found it looked through his bags without his knowledge or permission. Also, our principal has two DUIs.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If I had kids, I surely would not let them go to any school, public or private. This kind of crap really butters my toast. The endless propaganda against pot is so senseless as it could do so many wonderful things, yet here we are, supposedly enlightened folk in this country and it's still illegal.

I've gotten to the point where I really hate my country and what it has become. It is unfathomable to me that this kid cannot take his meds yet if it were some crap from big pharma then it would be ok. What hypocrisy we live under, everyday people trampled over by idiotic laws that only serve to enslave us.

Stop the world, please, I'd like to get the hell off.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
First off, it's a pill can't his parents give it too him before/after school depending on the prescription, also if absolutely necessary it not difficult to sneak in a pill during lunch, passing period, etc.

The only way the school would know if he came under the influence is 1. if he told them and 2. if he submits to a drug screening. In my state, a student ONLY needed to submit to a drug test if they participated in extracurriculars.
If he lives in a state that has the ability to randomly test all students, his "dirty" test will be thrown out as soon as the prescription is presented/or doctor's verification.

If the school chooses to continue harassing the boy, a lawsuit will fix them. I understand that there is one rule for all, and it still applies with his medical marijuana (provided his state has approved the drug).

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Public schools always have ridiculous expectations of their students. This, however, crosses the line. The entire point of Marinol and it's alikes, are to provide an alternative that would bypass the stigma that society inflicts upon medical marijuana and it's users. Not to mention money for the pharmaceutical companies, but I digress.

Someone that needs any medication for a legitimate medical problem should NEVER be denied their treatment. I don't care what the medication is. It is an infringement on our civil rights.

-B

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

Someone that needs any medication for a legitimate medical problem should NEVER be denied their treatment. I don't care what the medication is. It is an infringement on our civil rights.

It is an infringement on unalienable rights! Civil rights are legal rights granted to people by government, and what can be granted legally can be taken away legally.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join