It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Theory On China's Planned Megapolis And How It Relates To A Possible Collapse Of Hong Kong.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Some of you may have seen the recent story about how China is planning to merge nine cities in the South,creating a megapolis twice the size of Wales with a population of around 42 million. This region is already a key business and manufacturing hub with lots of problems,such as industrial pollution, that need to be ironed out. So, it makes sense from an administrative point of view to merge these cities into one under the control of one local government in order to more carefully manage and control growth. There are many benefits for doing this as stated in the linked article below:

China to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people.

Next, I recently read a couple of articles talking about the situation in Hong Kong which made me realize that things don't seem to be getting much better and it appears that it wouldn't take much to destabilize it. Read more about in linked articles below:

If Inequality Leads To Crisis,Then Here's Where The Next Crash Will Be.

The 25 Countries Whose Governments Could Get Crushed By Food Price Inflation.

Shockingly,Hong Kong is number 9 on the list (Hong Kong is not a country by the way.It's an SAR or Special Administrative Region and belongs to China). Couple a potential food inflation crisis with the rising inequality there due to the financial crisis,it stands to reason that a serious problem could be brewing in Asia's major financial hub. Over the last few years,I've been hearing stories about companies transitioning from Hong Kong to the Mainland as a matter of convenience and to save cost. Nonetheless,many of the companies currently situated in the planned megapolis zone may in fact have offices and such in Hong Kong. There are still many important industries located in Hong Kong as well.

So,imagine that Hong Kong tanks so badly that it creates an exodus. Generally speaking,where do you think many of those people are going to? Most likely they would head for the Mainland where they have businesses,connections,jobs and family. This would be a logistical nightmare for China's government if you had all of these people flooding in and trying to relocate their families and businesses across the nine cities in this key economic region (see map in first linked article). It's far easier to handle this type of situation if the entire region is being administered under one authority.

Hong Kong is way too important for them not to plan ahead for something like this. Strangely enough, I think if this situation did happen, it could be a shot in the arm for China, creating stellar domestic economic growth which could easily offset the effects of a collapse in Hong Kong.

Anyway,It's just a theory and I could be wrong about it all the way around.

edit on 10-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: typo-misspellings

edit on 10-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

edit on 10-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: wording.

edit on 10-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
With China's rapid growth and emergence as a world super power, it seems like good planning on their part.. To have the infrastructure in place already as the business world comes flooding in because of China's new global stature, low labor costs, and a 200 million man army to protect its borders.

I imagine them also herding more people from the countryside into the cities to keep up with the labor demand.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Not actually merging.. as in, constructing a mega city, just combining the city legal limits and putting it under one administration.

I don't see how that could effect Hong Kong. There's too much money in Hong Kong to be replaced easily.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The mainland has been in the process of diverting business from HK ever since they took control from the UK. High speed trains are already up and running and Guangzhou has a new international airport to help bring in business. If you have never been in Guangdong province and the cities listed your in for a surprise. I have lived in Hong Kong, Jiangmen and Zhongshan. Hong Kong is ok for shopping for some items that have not yet made it to the mainland but over all the mainland is fine.

Over the past 8 years HK has gone down hill while the mainland is on the rise. Economically HK is hurting and things are simply getting better on the mainland for consumers and business in general. Hong Kong is limited in space and price that space at a very high premium. While the mainland has vast areas to grow from. Even the supermarkets in HK are moving here. We have Jesco, Park n Shop and I heard we were even getting Welcome here. I guess you could say that the mainland is playing Wallmart and putting the competition out of business.

top topics

join