It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the church be a conspiracy to oppress women?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The culture of the times in which the Bible was written reflectsa society primarily dominated by men... just as the Mid Eastern culture is today in so many ways.

That being said, women played an important, pivotal, and powerful role in the Bible with examples previously noted in prior responses here. Further, in the NT...there are more than a few examples of female deacons and leaders in the early church of Paul's time...one being Aquila.

A couple of years ago, I was a deacon at my church. Our Pastor was moving to the mountains of NC and taking a new church there. As such, we needed a new Pastor. The idea of possibly having a female Pastor was approached... I was against it.

HOWEVER, after looking to the Bible...I realized my prejudices were based on man's traditions and not Biblical. No where could I find a law, or rule, or statement against a woman Pastor. So, I apologized to my brothers and sisters and boldly agreed that a woman as Pastor was in order.

As for those that recall the passage that a woman is to remain silent in church...it is intended in the context of a male dominated culture and to maintain order during the service. Again, there are more than a few examples of female leaders in the early church.

As for woman submitting to their husbands... husbands are to love their wives as they love the Lord, as well as themselves. The burden is equally shared by both man and wife... "hopemates" or help mates to each other...

However, the man is to have the final say on critical matters. On the other hand...if the wife does...I don't think God will condemn either to Hell. Frankly, things I am good at and knowledgable of...I finalize. Things my wife knows more of...she finalizes. In all other matters...we talk and reach a mutual decision...we are help mates...that is Biblical.

Now, as for my wife submitting to me...sexually or otherwise...I as a loving husband should love and care enough about her that I take her feelings into consideration. After a long, hard day my wife is tired...her legs hurt...and I am horny... ya know, I kiss here...say "I love you." and go pop some popcorn, grab a Coke, and watch a good western.... I might even prop her feet on my lap and rub her legs until she falls asleep.

Jesus demonstrated that to be a good leader, you have to be a good servant...although He was Master...he washed the feet of His followers....

A good example of a man/woman relationship.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

A conspiracy to oppress women?

or

A conspiracy to oppress the gullible and the "faithful"?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by green-tree
This is just speculation. Could the church have been founded by lustful men who wanted women to submit to them? They decided to use the threat of hell to scare women into submission. They then made it so women could not be priests or part of the churches hierarchy in order to keep women oppressed? I have no evidence to prove this its just a thought.

I agree with you and am shocked that there are still so many who do not realize these things.

Don't forget to throw into the equation that it is actually written in the bible of fathers having sex with their daughters and "the Bible" actually blaming it on the "lustful" daughters.

"Gods" words my @$$!

Wikipedia, Incest in the Bible

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This is just speculation. Could the church have been founded by lustful men who wanted women to submit to them? They decided to use the threat of hell to scare women into submission. They then made it so women could not be priests or part of the churches hierarchy in order to keep women oppressed? I have no evidence to prove this its just a thought.

Greetings, green-tree. The lustful most certainly did play a part, I believe, but the main agenda was to completely wipe out any other religious belief, and turn any other God or Goddess into a Demon. I was just posting about this yesterday, here.

"In the Old World, before monotheistic religion came along, people worshipped a Female Deity, and women were held in high regard. Then came the CHURCH, Women were murdered, their Deity was labeled a Whore, and a Harlot, their Sacred Places and Temples were crushes and had new churches on them, and women were demonized for creating Original Sin. These are the reasons I am so against the Christian religion. Women are our Mothers, Aunts, Grandmothers, Daughters, and Sisters. And our Lovers. In my home, my wife is the representation of the Goddess, and Queen of the home."

I meant every word of that.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

reply to post by chr0naut

In marriage the church teaches that women should submit to their husbands.

Yes, and that is why the church is so full of it too. The church knows if women take power over them, they will fade into nothingness and will be gone forever. Women and Men are equal in almost every respect. Of course, there is very little that a woman cannot do, and men are quite capable also. Neither should dominate, unless in play only. Domination is for the weak, and the Fearful. Submission is for the weak also, if one does it automatically. It is a careful balance that will always see you through.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Lets turn it on its head.

Perhaps the church is a conspiracy of women to opress men?

Look at it like this:

When I (a fairly typical guy) go to a movie I like to see some one who, despite impossible odds, saves the day. I like explosions, wildness, action and danger. This is a lot like the original text of the bible which had wars, murder and mayhem. Where everyone is living under threat and is saved by the slimmest of odds (& someone dies too).

When my wife goes to see a movie she usually picks one where no-one dies, there are no explosions, some chick cries but eventually makes up with the male lead and they have a lovely relationship.

The church today is a girl thing. Love, peace and relationship with a guy. I think that to some extent, it has been usurped and has lost its way.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ladys became lawless. That was their purpose with the emancipation. "To go wild" leaving all realism behind. The world nowadays "needs to go wild". Superchaotic. Women need to serve in silence. They know very well what their task is in life. They "get hot" while they don't. And then you get this:

I wanna hold em' like they do in Texas Plays
Fold em' let em' hit me raise it baby stay with me
(I love it)
Love game intuition play the cards with Spades to start
And after he's been hooked I'll play the one that's on his heart

Oh, oh oh oh oh, o-o-o-o-o-oh
I'll get him hot, show him what I've got
Oh, oh oh oh oh, o-o-o-o-o-oh
I'll get him hot, show him what I've got

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

top topics