It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do we REALLY know about Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ok, I had to weigh in on this.

I see a bunch of folks that are "HEY, THIS IS GREAT FOR DEMOCRACY"

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Folks, I'd be more than happy to see these folks with an "Ataturk" style of government.

For those who dont know about Kemal Ataturk and what he did for Turkey:

www.ataturk.com...

Atatürk undertook a series of reforms to "raise Turkey to the level of modern civilization" which can be grouped under five titles

1. Political Reforms

Abolishment of the office of the Sultan (November 1922)
Proclamation of the Republic (29 October 1923)
Abolishment of the caliph (3 March 1924)
2. Social Reforms

Recognition of equal rights to men and women (1926 - 1934)
Reform of Headgear and Dress (25 November 1925)
Closure of mausoleums and dervish lodges (30 November 1925)
Law on family names (21 June 1934)
Abolishment of titles and by-names (26 November 1934)
Adoption of international calendar, hours and measurements (1925 - 1931)
3. Legal Reforms

Abolishment of the Canon Law (1924 - 1937)
Transfer to a secular law structure by adoption of Turkish Civil Code and other laws (1924 - 1937)
4. Reforms in the fields of education and culture

Unification of education (3 March 1924)
Adoption of new Turkish alphabet (1 November 1928)
Establishment of Turkish Language and History Institutions (1931 - 1932)
Regulation of the university education (31 May 1933)
Innovations in fine arts
5. Economic Reforms

Abolution of tithe
Encouragement of the farmers
Establishment of model farms
Establishment of industrial facilities, and putting into effect a law for Incentives for the Industry
Putting into effect Ist and IInd Development Plans (1933-1937), to develop transportation networks
Acccording to the Law on Family Names, the Turkish Grand Assembly gave "Atatürk" (Father of Turks) as last name to Mustafa Kemal on 24 November 1934.

Atatürk was elected as the Speaker of the Grand Assembly on 24 April 1920 and again on 13 August 1923. This was a position equal to that of the president as well as the prime minister. Republic was proclaimed on 29 October 1923 and Atatürk was elected as the first President. Elections for President were renewed every four years according to the Constitution. In 1927, 1931 and 1935 Turkish Grand Assembly again elected Atatürk as the president.

Atatürk took frequent trips around the country and inspected locally the works undertaken by the state, giving directives were problems were faced. As president he was host to visiting foreign presidents, prime ministers and ministers.

He read his Great Speech, which covers the War of Independence and the founding of the Republic on 15 - 20 October 1927, and his 10th Year Speech on 29 October 1933.

Atatürk led a very simple private life. He married Latife Hanım on 29 January 1923. They took many trips to different parts of the country together. This marriage lasted until 5 August 1925. A great lover of children he adopted girls named Afet (İnan), Sabiha (Gökçen), Fikriye, Ülkü, Nebile, Rukiye and Zehra and a shepperd boy named Mustafa. He also took two boys called Abdurrahim and İhsan under his protection. He provided for the futures of these children who survived.

He donated his farms to the Treasury in 1937 and some of his real estate to municipalities of Ankara and Bursa. He divided his inheritance among his sister, his adopted children and to the Turkish History and Language Institutions. He enjoyed books and music as well as dancing, horse riding and swimming. He was extremely interested in Zeybek dances, wrestling and the Rumelia folk songs. Games of billards and backgammon gave him great pleasure. He valued his horse Sakarya and his dog Fox . He had a rich library. He used to invite statesman, scholars and artists to dinners where the problems of the country were discussed. He was particular about his appearence and enjoyed dressing well. He was also a lover of nature. He used to frequent the Atatürk Forest Farm and join in the work.

He knew French and German. Atatürk died on 10 November 1938 at 9.05 A.M at Dolmabahçe Palace, defeated by the liver ailment he was suffering from. He was taken to his temporary place of rest at the Ethnograpy Museum in Ankara on 21 November 1938. When the mausoleum was completed, he was taken to his permanent rest place with a grand ceremony on 10 November 1953.

That being said, I dont see ANYONE coming to the front that would remotely resemble someone like this. This man was OBVIOUSLY for the people and their rights. What I am seeing is chaos and rioting without a clear goal (other than getting rid of Mubarak).

Lets say Mubarak bails out 5seconds after I push the "post" button.....what then? Who is going to fill the vacuum? I see the pawn of the UN Baradei (also member of muslim brotherhood), and someone coming forth from the muslim brotherhood (MB). I dont see ANYONE that looks like they are actually "for the people".
The entire area is practically on fire (soon literally I fear).

I would like for the folks there to have a more "representative" government...hell, I'd like to see the US be more "representative"
but thats beside the point.

I fear this will not be. I see the people being coopted by various factions. Some of the chants sound like something I'm sure the White Army heard during the last days of the Czar....that went well didnt it?

Well, back to my point.

All of the people that are "supporting the rioters".....what do you REALLY know about this "movement"? Look at the players. There is no way this is going to end well. This is 1979 Iran....just much bigger!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Oh...the "people" will take charge. It will all be happy fun time, everyone will hug, hold hands, sing songs.

No one with less than honorable motives would try to take power...that just won't happen...because the people would have won...yay people.

Let's create a huge void...and watch the goodness flow in...yay goodness.

Unfortunatly...that seems to be the attitude of a group of ATSers.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Unfortunately no matter who ends up in charge in the end, they have a monumental task ahead of them.

Population 78,000,000
Egypt is the same size as New York State with that population crammed in.
They import 60% of their grains...have you seen what the commodity prices have done over the past year?
They only have 3% airable land, primarily just along the Nile river.
Starting in 2007, their oil imports exceeded their oil exports.

Would YOU want to be in charge to solve these problems?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I fear that the formenters of dissent are going to replace one opressive regime with another, perhaps more opressive.

At least if they establish true democracy, there is a chance that government will fall to those who are moderate and truly concerned for the populace.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Got a nifty canal they can hold hostage too. :sniff: I love the smell of war in the morning. Everyone's going to just love that extra 6,000 mile jaunt past the Somali pirates. Gonna be a great time for everyone. I gotta go fill up my gas cans and buy even more food.

Cable to Obama, Bush (x2) and Clinton:

I know where the bodies are buried and I know Julian's private number.

Thanks for the help,
Hosni

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
this is nothing like Iran. Irans revolution was driven by religion. Kohmeni had tapes that were spread around. People loved him and wanted him. Look at the millions on the streets when he returned.

This was started with youth that are more westernised than I am. Religion isn't even talked about. Follow twitter sometime and yell me how many times you see Quran quotes. They don't want Islamic rule and won't let it happen. These kids like to watch movies and go to bars just like you and me.

The only thing in common is both countries have dictators funded by the west.

What do YOU really know about Egypt?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

S & F

In cases such as these I always hear a little voice in the back of my head whisper...
Be careful what you wish for

I wish them the best of luck.

Godspeed.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Have you heard some of the crap from the mullahs about this?

Are there some actual "westernized kids" involved in this? Yeah. Are they being coopted faster than the Tea Party? Damn skippy.

Hide and watch. Within a few years of "who ever" gets it, the kids in the street for the right reasons may well say, "man, he sucked but he didnt suck THIS bad".

Its a damn shame really.

What do I know about Egypt? The same as I know about the whole area with history to back it up.

The best that can be expected will be a benevolent communist government. Maybe. I expect Sharia.
History is on my side sadly.

new topics

top topics

join