It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts determine age of book 'nobody can read'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

i also was thinking of soylent green...

edit on 10-2-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Whoever wrote it, wrote a lot. The penmanship is amazing. No writing expert here, couldn't the lettering style trace it to a certain region for the period?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Looks like a form of Gaelic.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
What you say is true, but it seems the colors/ manufacturing is consistent with the era. So that helps, but is also hoaxable

Originally posted by chr0naut
I think that an earlier date adds to the possibility that this is authentic, but carbon dating only indicates the time that the trees (from which the paper is made) stopped respiring and taking in Carbon 14.

The manuscript could be much younger than the paper and we would be none the wiser.

I believe that the manuscript may be alchemical and have some of its symbols invented and only ever used by the alchemist who wrote it.

But I'm no expert (who is?).

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
With all the threads on the subject this may have been posted but there's a ton of info here, interesting read. Some even think it may have even been a hoax.
www.voynich.nu...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
I know what was drawn in the picture "f16r"

Yep! That's what it is! Mystery solved! Star to you!

A bunch of whacked out hippies wrote this book. Maybe we can get some Woodstock stoners to decipher it for us!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Has anyone tried using a mirror in hopes the words/code is written that way?

It does look interesting but who knows what secrets if any the book holds.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrisGris
What you say is true, but it seems the colors/ manufacturing is consistent with the era. So that helps, but is also hoaxable

I think that an earlier date adds to the possibility that this is authentic, but carbon dating only indicates the time that the trees (from which the paper is made) stopped respiring and taking in Carbon 14.

The manuscript could be much younger than the paper and we would be none the wiser.

I believe that the manuscript may be alchemical and have some of its symbols invented and only ever used by the alchemist who wrote it.

But I'm no expert (who is?).

You two don't think an ink/pigment analysis/bond with the paper gets rid of that possibility?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there is a lot of repeated words in some of that text... and it appears to repeat in a pattern.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

If someone went to all the trouble of faking it so effectively, then I can't see that analysis of the ink would tell us anything either, unless they used an off the shelf modern ink.

It is trivial to mix up inks and ochres using the raw materials available during the 15th century.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

reply to post by RestingInPieces

If someone went to all the trouble of faking it so effectively, then I can't see that analysis of the ink would tell us anything either, unless they used an off the shelf modern ink.

It is trivial to mix up inks and ochres using the raw materials available during the 15th century.

I'm talking about things like raman spectroscopy and migration of ions from metallic into the paper which reveal how long the ink has been sitting on the paper, no matter what type of ink it actually is and other things like chemical degradation over time of the ink, and acidity of the ink effecting the composition of the paper... If the ink contains organic material, such as vellum, it may be possible to carbon date it as well.

If you can't see how an ink analysis would tell us anything, I'm sure there are many other things that you have your eyes closed to.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Voynich script is imao a book of Old Knowledge about plants (botanics), biology, astrology (when and how to seed, plant, harvesting atc) and various related knowledge.

Since I first heard of this book, 15 yrs ago, I notice that most publicity about this book is about cracking the languagecode. I do not believe it's an excisting nor ancient text but a 'secret language' used between those who understand the words.

Is there a proper list of the plants of the drawings and what they all are?
I see Euphorbia (a toxic plant) called in Dutch 'Wolfsmelk ' (Wolf's milk) that was used a medicine: herbal remedie for belly ilnesses in the Middle Ages.
I also see a picture of Heracleum (slightly toxic) in Dutch 'Berenklauw' (mostly found on the Northern hemisphere), in the Kausasus (Russia) there are giant plants of this sort.
I also see a drawing of Aconitum ('Monnikskap' in Dutch) called Monkshood or Wolfsbane, a very toxic plant.

The plant is known to be used by witches (females who knew how certain herbs worked and what to use them for) and is even mentioned in one of the Law against Witchcraft (1542). Wide spread witch-hunts started in mainland of Europe (Northren Italy, Germany, France - Western Alps) after the Pope's Papal Bull (1480).

Witch craft was determened in the Directorium Inquisitorum (1340).

For all we know the Voynich Script is written like this to keep the information hidden iow 'secret'.

I think the text is Medieval and used by doctors (male and female) back then.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
PS
for the non-believers

For Example

Eryngium maritimum (Sea Holly)
picture :

blackrhinoservices.com...

compare with Yale Voynich script gallery:

voynichcentral.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

Its a reasonable assumtion given the content of the pages you mentioned. But there are some pretty big holes in your argument. First and most obvious, there are no other books containing this secret language. If as you say, the book is written in some secret cant, known only to doctors and men of biomedical science down the ages, then one would assume, that since there are many doctors, and have been for centuaries many hundreds of thousands of doctors in the world, that there would be more than one of these volumes discovered or recovered during that time. This is, however, the only example of either this exact text, or indeed the language being used within it. It is unique, and therefore is highly unlikely to be a manual for doctors.
Another thing that stands against your argument, is that the earliest example of someone performing the services of a medical doctor , certainly in western culture was not a learned man, but a butcher of animals, little more than an abatoir man. If a leg became infected with some sickness, and caused threat to its owner, the butcher would come to saw off his leg. Butchers were not men who could have written , let alone devised a complicated cant to communicate with other men in a similar position. Often they were not even men who could read or write a single word in thier native tongue, let alone some complicated cypher. Therefore the idea of a medical man or society of doctors or healers, being responsible for a written , cyphered work in the dark times of the 1500s is fairly improbable.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks for the link to the other thread!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
PS
for the non-believers

For Example

picture :

voynichcentral.com...

Those comparisons don't help anything by a longshot.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Simply put, it is a story book, written in a family language,
meaning a language which existed solely in one particular family/clan and has since ceased to exist when the family/clan did, which was most commonly by attack or death in a war.

It will forever be impossible to decipher, so give up, you people are not missing out on any great secrets, as said, it is a simple story book.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

The doctors you describe are doctors in medicine since the Golden Age. Doctors I reffer to are those female & male doctors like sjamanes that knew their herbs. 'Doctors' prior to the butchers we have in Western civilisation now.

Not saying I am right but was only asking IF there is a list of all plants (herbs) showed in the script available somewhere. And IF there is someone who maybe any analysis on that.

Whoever wrote that script had knowledge or was told about our place (where Earth was / is positioned) in our Milky Way. Much Astrological info in that Script. Does everyone who comment here ever read the publications so far? Or even took the time to study on the drawing themselves?

Milky Way picture in Voynich Script:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Does that make the script genuiene Alien language? Who knows ...... not saying it is, not saying it aint.

My point is that loads and loads of books were (are) actually burned between 1200 and 1700 (aprox) and that its almost impossible to find a similar script because everything was handwritten in the Midlle Ages.

Or maybe someone shoud ask the Pope for permission to take a stroll down below the Vatican where they still keep many many scripts hidden for the masses. Rest my case.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
PS
for the non-believers

For Example

picture :

voynichcentral.com...

Those comparisons don't help anything by a longshot.

Maybe you should study on them a bit more?

Go out in the world and update your knowledge on plants and herbs

top topics

<< 1   >>

join