It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts determine age of book 'nobody can read'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Please check out this way better thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Experts determine age of book 'nobody can read'

www.physorg.com

While enthusiasts across the world pored over the Voynich manuscript, one of the most mysterious writings ever found – penned by an unknown author in a language no one understands – a research team at the UA solved one of its biggest mysteries: When was the book made?
But a second, closer look reveals that nothing here is what it seems. Alien characters, some resembling Latin letters, others unlike anything used in any known language, are arranged into what appear to be words and sentences, except they don't resemble anything written – or read – by human beings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Voynich Manuscript partially decoded

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 2/10/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2011 by GrisGris because: Added better thread

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's an alien text.
either written by an alien or a madman. The news says it's about 100 years older than previously thought. I see we have a discussion already going. It is listed below.
I thought this was fascinating and will be doing more research into images of the pages. This was my first time hearing of this. I hope you enjoy reading more... Or learning about this text.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-2-2011 by GrisGris because: Auto correct!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is very interesting - perhaps the writings and symbols are taken from mutiple sources and when put together make no sense. Perhaps its a new language that few know about, if anyone?

I would love to study the images in this book - the pic was not large enough to give detail.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Here is a pretty good thread posted earlier on the same subject.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Its not a hundred years old. Its from the 15th centuary , making it one hundred years older than previously thought. Interestingly , all our scholars and experts can learn from it seems to be the age of the document . They still havent figured out what the hell it all means!
Without an exemplar of the language in which it is written its going to be extremely hard to cut to the heart of the matter.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This topic was brought up around 30 min ago I believe.
I'd suggest checking the sites search function first, to see if anyone's posted on the same topic beforehand.

edit on 10-2-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: add link

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My favorite interpretation of the tome.

Edited to show the whole image.

edit on 10/2/11 by MikeboydUS because: La la lala la la

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
This topic was brought up around 30 min ago I believe.
I'd suggest checking the sites search function first, to see if anyone's posted on the same topic beforehand.

edit on 10-2-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: add link

I did a couple of searches, witnessed by the other link listed, but didn't find it! Even clicking..I still couldn't find it. I think the mods may have changed my post!

edit on 10-2-2011 by GrisGris because: Added more

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

There is a link at the bottom of the article, voynichcentral.com... all the pictures are there.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey crazy daisy,
I found this very cool PDF with lots of page images you can download here

www.isi.edu...

Originally posted by crazydaisy
This is very interesting - perhaps the writings and symbols are taken from mutiple sources and when put together make no sense. Perhaps its a new language that few know about, if anyone?

I would love to study the images in this book - the pic was not large enough to give detail.

edit on 10-2-2011 by GrisGris because: Added more

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think that an earlier date adds to the possibility that this is authentic, but carbon dating only indicates the time that the trees (from which the paper is made) stopped respiring and taking in Carbon 14.

The manuscript could be much younger than the paper and we would be none the wiser.

I believe that the manuscript may be alchemical and have some of its symbols invented and only ever used by the alchemist who wrote it.

But I'm no expert (who is?).

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
commons.wikimedia.org...

wkipedia has the entire manuscript online , not a pdf. in images. looking through now

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a0c6a981084.png[/atsimg]

Silly ATS will not let me show the whole cartoon.

Its a conspiracy.

edit on 10/2/11 by MikeboydUS because: plop

So that is where Tolkien and Arneson got their ideas from. Brilliant.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

Here are 3 pages.. Its intresting to say the least...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Silly ATS will not let me show the whole cartoon.
Yes they will, just change the atsimg tags to img tags, see how the scroll bar appears?

There was a Natgeo "naked science" episode on today about that book. They said the drawings indicate it's mostly about plants and possibly the topic is herbal medicine, some pages look like they could be recipes or something.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I started a thread on this a few years ago but haven't checked on the decrypter lately. The manuscript may be a collection of secret manuscripts.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Let me give this a try without a scroll bar.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/279ee41d8473.jpg[/atsimg]

Cool!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by elocin

Thank you!!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I know what was drawn in the picture "f16r"

Looks like human hand writting to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The writings show some words that look like English but when I read them they make no sense in content. Without a doubt this book has a base of nature - all drawings are nature related even the nude (which made me think of Solyent Green for some reason). Still looking, this is most amazing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join