It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water filtration...anyone have one of these?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just came across this and thought it looks pretty amazing...the also do a jerry can version that can filter 20,000 litres (I think, may be 40,000)...anyone have one and if so, what do you think of it?

www.lifesaversystems.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by snowgirl

Yep, they're brilliant.
Had one for a couple of years now,might need new filter even.

Since they only weigh half a kilo,the weight saving alone on carrying water supplies is fantastic for cycling and hiking.

Hve to store it deep in your pack in sub zero temps though,as the ceramic filter won't take kindly to water expanding in those micro pores.

Worth triple its weight in gold.

And I do believe a local Geordie invented it too

edit...No I'm wrong. I mixed it up with the local Beef Jerky supplier.. Errr. ok..Understandable mistake

T.
edit on 10-2-2011 by AGENT_T because: Cuz I'm realllly dumb

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Cool idea, but It is much cheaper to make one of these

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

If you're going to do it 'old school'.
Better off withh a clear plastic bag wrapped around a tree branch,or bush... or make a solar still.

Not so much filtering required.

T

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowgirl

I haven't seen these before; thanks for the heads up! We use a Big Berkey at home, and our kit has a Katadyn. Expensive lil' buggers. Looks like the jerrycan is 20,000 liters. As Agent T said, "worth their weight in gold".

reply to post by AGENT_T

Good point on the ceramic filters. Good to see you out and about, by the way.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
To bad it is not a desalinator. We are heading down to Patagonia this spring and I need a backup for the watermaker on the boat. I have been looking for plans to build a portable desalinator with no luck. I guess I am going to have to invest in this. Link

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Good thing in a pinch, and really FAR better than nothing..... If a person were to boil or treat with a purifying solution afterward to kill bacteria and such, the system you linked looks just fine. More good things to tuck away in a person's mental survival chest, and probably one of those things that are good to practice before needing it.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Somewhere I have or had a link to portable desal stills. If I can find it, I'll post it here. It's been field-tested in some of the most rugged parts of the world.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thank you, that would be great. We do carry over 100 gal. at a time but this for drinking, cooking the add water meals as well as showers. it does not last that long but we never ever run blow 50% ( that is the just in case water)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Cheer
I still keep an eye on you guys offline haha.

If I'm not mistaken,the guy who invented the Lifesaver bottle was going to be working on a desalinator too.

Goshblummit.. I see the price has nearly halved since I got one.Don't ya hate when that happens.D'OHH!!!
Been a while though.

Cheaper desalinators

www.seamarknunn.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Not sure this would have the volume for your application, but this is what was in my mind -- The Watercone Solar Still. Apparently, they're about USD $70. Seems like a good thing to have for those of us who live by the sea.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So, I do have one question that is not a joke. would you trust this unit to clean the water say in Mexico? I have never drank any water from Mexico that does not come in a plastic bottle with a made in the usa stamp. But it would not be a bad idea in stowing a couple of bottles.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
from what other ppl posted, it sounds good. but i cant get that link to work.

new topics

top topics

join