It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the best place in USA to move to that is tolerant, open-minded, and progressive.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I currently live in Florida, and am looking to relocate to an area that has a decent cost of living, jobs, and is more progressive.

Not here to start a political debate, nor do I want anyone to do so. This is a pretty straightforward question and I would appreciate it if the thread is not hijacked with rhetoric.

If any of you guys have any suggestions, or personal experience, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
edit on 10-2-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Portland OR, Seattle Washington. New York - almost anywhere in New England. Stick to the Coasts.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
I currently live in Florida, and am looking to relocate to an area that has a decent cost of living, jobs, and is more progressive.
Sorry; but from what I have seen of the country places that are "more progressive" tend to have job killing deficits, high cost of living, and very high taxes.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

decent cost of living, jobs, and is more progressive.

Hmmm... guess I can't help you out here. So Dakota has decent cost of living, jobs, but it's mostly Republican.

It's also REALLY cold.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The biggest state... Canada.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Eugene or Portland Oregon are great places to live. I came out 14 years ago to visit and never left!
Plus we don't have that humidity and skeeter problems.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Eugene or Portland Oregon are great places to live. I came out 14 years ago to visit and never left!

Peace,
spec

How is the cold weather? and snow?

I'd preferably like to live somewhere that doesn't get hammered by snow or have harsh winters.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I live in boston, It has it's up's and down's here but I wouldn't trade livving here for anything.. It is a little pricey out here, and the winters are bad.. but there are a lot of open minded genuine people here.. Just don't screw with our guiness beer or red sox games, And you would fit in just fine!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

We have a good 4 season system, and the winters vary, but are nothing like the NE. We have a "harsh" winter every 5 years or so, but other than that I would consider it mild somewhat. It does rain here often, but it is not like a southern rain, more of a drizzle. But it is wet here from Nov thru June, something to consider I guess. Of course there are breaks and sunshine during that period too. Our summer's alone though make this place awesome though, imo. The temps linger in the 80 - 90 degree range, and the outdoor recreation here is absolutely amazing! Eugene is a fantastic art hub, and the town size makes it pretty appealing too.

spec
edit on 10-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Austin TX is extremely liberal, very cosmopolitan, very rich culturally. It's clean and people are friendly and very community oriented. The weather is what you'd expect from central TX. It can get a bit gross in the summer but that's the case pretty much anywhere unless you're on the West Coast, north of San Francisco...

Cost of living is comparable to Portland, Berlin and Montreal. It's not dirt cheap but you can easily live in the heart of everything with a lower middle class income or by resorting to cohabitation.

I'm not sure about accessibility or the efficiency of public transportation as it currently stands but there are ongoing plans to expand the light rail service.
edit on 10-2-2011 by laterallateral because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You should be aware that the Pacific Northwest has their share and more of rain and gray skies. If you NEED the sunshine, you may want to look elsewhere. There's no sales tax in Or.

Belleview, WA looks nice.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Peace,
spec

We have been pricing housing in both places recently (currently in Nor Cal), rent is not too bad comparatively speaking. I have lived in Oregon several times and loved it, one caveat is property taxes. But they are wonderful options IMO.
good luck wherever you move

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Top 100 Places to live in the US

You can learn a lot about these places from this link.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by laterallateral

Indeed, and while the balance of Texas is pretty right-leaning, Austin makes up for it for the most part. In addition, Texas does not have any state income tax. Makes taxes a little simpler. We are 50th in education, though.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Don't go to the PNW without already having a job lined up. It's currently running at/near the top of the list in unemployment, not to mention that the cost of living will be much higher then in the Midwest or Southwest, but probably comparable to the east (i.e. Boston area). Aside from the places that have been mentioned so far, consider North Carolina...

edit on 10-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I moved to Seattle from Florida = DO NOT CONSIDER THE PACIFIC NW if you hail from sunny states.

Yes - It is beautiful, but your sunshine state brain will NOT be able to tolerate the constant rain. Mt. Rainer which is a gaint A$$ mountain is only "out" about 30 days a year. It is fun, awesome, great places to eat - the most beautiful make your eyes bleed natural beauty you could hope to find on earth WHEN the sun is out. Which it will NOT be enough for you if your brain is hardwired for sunshine. My old boyfriend who I went out there with - who was raised in the brutal winter climate of Minnesota and is still out there. I am just advising you that as a Floridain you are used to set brain chemistry that is in direct correlation to the amount of sunshine you get - and that means the extra couple of hours of light at night in the winter. Example: in Maine, where I have also lived (and there are some pretty progressive areas of Maine) it is dark by 4:30 in the deep winter months - down in Florida its light till 6:30.

My friends just moved from Florida to Austin, Texas and they LOVE IT. Much to do, open - unique. You might have a chance of finding what you desire there and the sunshine would be more equitable to what you are accustomed. The area is booming.

Let me repeat the Pacific North West - so beautiful - but not for sun drenched, sun shine "trained" brains.

If you have not lived outside of Florida you may want to become aware of seasonal depression - which is hard to avoid in up North locales. By the way I lived in Boston too and it was awesome, but it is pricey and the winters in Mass are a shock, Boston has been totally hammered this year - probably for a hard core Floridain the people in Mass would be a bit of a shock as well. State taxes will definately be a shock. Hard working - fast paced ball busters those folks from Mass - bright though, very bright folks.

Winter might be fun for a year or two but if you haven't been raised that way it will get old very fast. If you really need to leave Florida, I recommend Austin TX.
edit on 10-2-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
By the way I am back in Florida after years of desire to be back. I live here for the weather not the culture - LOL. I swear I will never move north of the state line again!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

Very good points Bird, also within Oregon , we have a vast spread of climate variety. Eugene gets about half the rain Portland does, and southern Oregon is much like N Cali. So your advice is good, going from sun brain to rain brain will take it's toll, and Seattle is even worse.

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Colorado springs is nice.....all the amenities of a big city, with a small town feel. friendly folks....320 days of sun, average winter (it's on the edge of the mountains ..which are gorges by the way...pikes peak)

the only "downside" would be the tons of military around...NORAD....2 AFB....army base.....air force academy...

but that only gets in the way if u are a single guy lookin 4 a girl....it's like a 5 to 1 ratio

i'd move back there

i believe the song america the beautiful was written (at least partially) there (purple mnts majesty)
edit on 10-2-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
Colorado springs is nice.....all the amenities of a big city, with a small town feel. friendly folks....320 days of sun, average winter (it's on the edge of the mountains ..which are gorges by the way...pikes peak)

the only "downside" would be the tons of military around...NORAD....2 AFB....army base.....air force academy...

but that only gets in the way if u are a single guy lookin 4 a girl....it's like a 5 to 1 ratio

i'd move back there

i believe the song america the beautiful was written (at least partially) there (purple mnts majesty)
edit on 10-2-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

It is bird brain again. I also lived in Colorado Springs. I suffered the worst depression of my life out there due to the sun going behind the mountains and the shadow twighlight it produced. I remember sitting on a rock in Manitou watching the mountain shadow creep across Garden of the Gods. Awful forboding thing to witness when you are a sun brain damaged person used to wide vistas and tangerine hued sunset skies. No offense either but I remembet CoSp as being rather conservative and the OP is looking for progressive. I don't think Colorado is a good place to reside if you are sun brain raised. Fantaboulus place to visit with an energy all should experience once in thier lives but moving there as a sun brain would be hard - plus after a life of humidity your hair stands on end from the dryness out there like you are touching that ball thing at the science museum.

Yes, I am a hobo. OP - please consider strongly the effects of sunlight on your brain. I can't remember the latitude demarkation but you should look below it. Meaning above it the light and seasonal shift will be an adjustment you will be making on a level you won't even percieve.

I have been back in Florida now over a year. I admit (at 45) when I look over the panarama of my life my hardest times, my hard knock tea times of the soul occured in Northern Lats. I admit to myself now just a how large a part seasonal depression played in my general outlook on life. It also affects the cultural dynamics of the place. I mean I could loose it all in Florida and still somehow feel it is going to be alright. In the deep duldrums of months without sunshine, even if life is good I felt as if I was dying a slow death, plucked by ducks.

I admire people who can do it - and I miss the culture of some of these places - but I have to stay put where the sun shines.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join