It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Man Smoking in Portable Toilet Causes Explosion

page: 1

log in


posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:33 PM
So you think you've had a bad day? This report may make you feel better. A West Virginia man entered a portable toilet to relieve himself and to have a smoke... He had no idea what could happen, and learned the hard way that there are other less known dangers of smoking... The toilet he used had built up an explosive amount of methane gas... He lit up and went BOOM... Full Article

BLACKSVILLE, W.Va. July 14, 2004 — Warning: smoking in the toilet can be dangerous. A portable toilet exploded Tuesday after a man who was inside it lit a cigarette.

Emergency workers said the man was not severely injured and drove himself to Clay-Battelle Community Health Center. He was later transferred to Ruby Memorial Hospital. His name and condition were not available Wednesday.

The explosion, which occurred in Blacksville, resulted from a buildup of methane gas inside the portable toilet. The methane did not "take too kindly" to the lit cigarette, said a spokeswoman for Monongalia Emergency Medical Services.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet another reason to quit. Can you now imagine if this had been you?

I am sure he will have to hear about this for a while, and maybe he will give up his dangerous habit now. Or at least refrain from smoking in the presence of methane gas.

Maybe the NO SMOKING signs could add the words Deny Ignorance to them?


[edit on 24-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:38 PM
That is so bad! Well kinda feel a little silly as this is something that i mught have done myself!
I think i really need to give up the smokes,

Though most potable loo's in the UK have a no smoking sign on them,

Maybe i should take a black marker pen round them and write

No smoking or you will go boom

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:43 PM
Can he receive a Darwin Award?

A bit like the guy who apparently wanted to siphon gas from a trailer van on a camping ground... he was found 30 minutes later by the guy who owned the van, lying on the ground pretty sick and green... he'd hooked up to the wrong outlet and siphoned up the septic tank contents instead!

The owner of the trailer apparently didn't press charges, because he'd never had such a good laugh in his life.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:11 PM
I bet ya this guy is gona sue and make a bundle.

Did the portable toilet have a label "do not smoke around or inside, danger for explosion"? Prolly not, so dang, another millionair is born

new topics

top topics

log in