It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart fires four workers who disarm gunman after caught shoplifting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i bet wally world even trys to keep them from
getting their unemployment checks.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Personaly I think theres a way for those four to sue walmart for an unsafe work enviroment. Come on you get a gun pulled on you and they just want you to eat a bullet. Is that not a unsafe workplace?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Most, if not all retail outlets especially, have these same rules. And although I understand liabilities and such, it's such a sad statement on our society as a whole. Where normal behaviour in an emergency situation has to be against the rules. Hence, we have so many rules against normal behaviour, that normal, becomes criminal behaviour. How backward can we get in this world?

edit on 10-2-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

It is absolutely backwards.

In our society (the U.S.) financial liability, lawsuit protection, asset protection trumps all other concerns. It pervades our healthcare, our employment, our government agencies, even our neighborhoods. I have to worry about it if I have a birthday party for my kids!

Last summer a dumb girl, whom I did not even invite, but came as a guest of a guest, hit the side of the pool and supposedly cracked her hip. Luckily her parents were persuaded not to sue, but now I have to think twice before throwing my kids a birthday party?

A doctor can't use his sound judgement, instead he has to use "acceptable practice" or he is set up for liability. A real estate agent can't give an honest opinion of a neighborhood, or a bank, or an appraiser, instead they have to speak in politically correct terms and avoid "steering." We consistently pay people for expertise that they are prevented from using? The system is as bass ackwards as it can possibly be!
edit on 10-2-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
S&F to the OP!!! Thank you for sharing this. I saw this earlier today and was disgusted! Sadly, this happened in my neck of the woods.

What Walmart should have done, is given them a warning and perhaps some "re-training". Not fire them! Even law enforcment stated they did the right thing.

I sent an email to Walmart's HQ expressing my disgust and reminding them about Sam Walton. You know, that man responsible for ALL of them having jobs. In 1992, Sam Walton received the Presidential Medal Of Freedom.

It recognizes those individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Source

If anyone would like to follow suit and voice your opinions to Walmart, please do so!

Company Feedback & Policies fits this category perfectly!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

It's a policy that's intended to match most state laws.. if a store sees you shop lifting, in no way shape or form are they ever allowed to
1. touch the individual
2. Accuse them of a crime before they leave the property
3. Impede their exit.

This is because a person can sue (and nearly always win) if any of those three things are done. Assault, Slander, False Imprisonment, Kidnapping .. stores like Walmart have been sued for all of it.

But.. the code is def not meant for guns and hold ups. Walmart is in the wrong.. but honestly, everyone knows they don't give a damn about their people anyways.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If they can control the shoplifters then why not ?Maybe they are the most unlucky guys this year for doing something right but get soemthing bad----losing job...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
double post
edit on 11-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
These guys were not being heroes they were defending their own lives. China marts idiotic policy does not trump thier right to self defense. They should find some good lawyers and sue them for a billion dollars!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

I agree. The workers should receive bonuses and awards. Both my brother and father have dealt with shoplifters and robbers before while working. My brother, while working at a major grocery store, reported a shoplifter to security and they caught him once the thief exited the building with the stolen goods. He received a bonus and an award. My father also prevented many shoplifters and robbers while managing a drugstore. He was given bonuses for his actions.

I have shopped less and less at wal-mart over the last few years. I doubt I will shop there again after hearing this. Their products just plain stink. Everything I buy there just falls apart within a week. These employees should not be fired. This was a case of self defense. The employees lives were in danger. The city, town or police dept. should even issue them an award.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join