It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS temperature on same sex marriage

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

What do you mean "rush to re-definite marriage?"

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
If you are not religious, you should not care about being "married" in the eyes of god.

Eyes of god? Not so much, in the eyes of the state and in front of my riends and family, I think I would still like that.

You should care about your partner, and nothing else. A title does not make it any more legitimate.

And I would like to be married to my partner, your dissent does not make it any less legitimate.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Originally posted by James1982
You should care about your partner, and nothing else. A title does not make it any more legitimate.

And I would like to be married to my partner, your dissent does not make it any less legitimate.

There's that -- Plus in the eyes of the state (and other entities), a legally married couple has rights and privileges that non-legally married couples have.

For example, Why should I be allowed to cover my wife under my company's health insurance, but if I were part of a homosexual (albeit loving and committed) relationship, the insurance company would probably not allow me to cover my partner?

Also, If my wife was in the hospital, they would allow me, as her husband, certain automatic rights as far as being involved in decisions about her care. However, if my homosexual life-partner was in the hospital, I would not automatically have any rights at all regarding his care (although those rights can be legally spelled out in a living will before hand [which takes forethought and planning] -- but if it was a legal marriage, those rights would be automatic).

So -- The legal title does make it more legitimate in the eyes of many entities that may be important in my life.
edit on 2/13/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I do not support Gay Marriage and I do not support Same Sex Parenting.
Lucky for the gays that I am just one person with an opinion (out of billions!) who doesn't control the laws.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by imjustlikeyou
I do not support Gay Marriage and I do not support Same Sex Parenting.
Lucky for the gays that I am just one person with an opinion (out of billions!) who doesn't control the laws.

Is there any specific reason why? Is it religious, personal, a combo of both?

Hypothetical, a single mother moves back in with her single mother (the childs grandmother) and they raise the newborn together...does that fall under same sex parenting or is that familial parenting?

I am interested in your take on that specific situation.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
So -- The legal title does make it more legitimate in the eyes of many entities that may be important in my life.

YES! And that is the primary reason gays want Legal Marriage equality.

Anyone can have live in a loving relationship - - straight or gay. Its not about that.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Spot on ! - It is a combination of personal and religious.

In response to the "hypo" > Are they "Straight" or "Gay" ? / What happened to the fathers ? - did they die / leave etc

The sad truth is that "Gay" people ARE different to "Straight" people. We can all get along, but we are different.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The sad truth is that "Gay" people ARE different to "Straight" people. We can all get along, but we are different.

How are they different?

How many gay people do you know? (I mean know enough that you can have conversations with them about their life - likes - dislikes - regular everyday stuff).

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

In response to the "hypo" > Are they "Straight" or "Gay" ? / What happened to the fathers ? - did they die / leave etc

Take your pick, how about both fathers died in a horrific car accident....
In any situation, what are the feelinsg then?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by imjustlikeyou

You are right, I am different from you, but not in the way that you are probably thinking. I am probably a different height than you, possess a different body morphology, am in a different profession than you, have a different nationality, different set of eye colour than yours, dress differently and have appreciation for different foods than you.

Why is your main concern that I may have a different partner than you? How is my love any different? Because it's just love.

edit on 13-2-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

In any situation, what are the feelings then?

Seriously! What difference does it make where the father is. That was not the point.

Me and both my brothers were raised by a mother and grandmother. Two women.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

In any situation, what are the feelinsg then?

Well if tragedy happens then there is not a lot you can do about it. That's life.
It is not an ideal environment to raise a child but they would just have to make the best of it.
I know that the single mothers didn't plan it that way.

Those circumstances are entirely different to same sex parents planing to adopt / surrogate pregnancy etc to suit there own desires.

The reason that it takes both sexes to make a child is because it takes both sexes to raise them successfully. Why ignore that fact.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

We are different in many ways.
Physical is obvious but mentally we are different too.
I don't feel that I have been mistreated by society.
I don't feel that the law is against me.
I don't feel like a victim.
I don't feel that the world somehow owes me something.
I don't feel the need to "celebrate" my lifestyle.
I don't feel excluded by anyone.

Do you ?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The reason that it takes both sexes to make a child is because it takes both sexes to raise them successfully. Why ignore that fact.

I disagree with much of what you said, but the part that I highlighted I find most important.

Are you really saying that any child raised in that environment will not have had a successful upbringing?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There is a big difference between planning to raise a child without both parents.

Are you gay ? (I don't mean to be rude) if you are maybe it is because there was not a "good" male role model for you to learn from. Maybe you resent males by not having your father present. Maybe.

I have one only "gay" friend (plus his boyfriend). We share an interest in cars but acknowledge that we are both different (he does have a great sense of humor though). They don't plan on having kids. The are both happy with a cat and a dog. My views still stand.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

There is a big difference between planning to raise a child without both parents.

Gay couples are both parents.

Are you gay ? (I don't mean to be rude) if you are maybe it is because there was not a "good" male role model for you to learn from. Maybe you resent males by not having your father present. Maybe.

No I am not gay. Oh Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop the stereotype Clichés.

I have one only "gay" friend (plus his boyfriend). We share an interest in cars but acknowledge that we are both different (he does have a great sense of humor though). They don't plan on having kids. The are both happy with a cat and a dog. My views still stand.

Not much a cross section to judge ALL gays. Do you do that with straights too? You got a friend who wears a trucker hat and has a beer belly - - - so all straights are just like him?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

(snip)

Yes - it takes two components to produce a child. There is nothing wrong with the reproductive system of gays. They are attracted to the same sex - - that's all. Many gays have produced offspring with women. However TODAY - - in this modern Open world - - gays can live their lives as God made them. They don't have to pretend to be who they are not. Just like straight couples who can not conceive - - they can use modern methods.

Elton John's son - - IS -- Elton John's son. Did he use a surrogate? Yep - - just like many straight couples do.

No - - I don't have "father" issues. I just celebrated my 21st wedding anniversary.

Mod Note: Civility & Decorum are Expected Please Review This Link.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Dendro

Oh, I've been mistreated by society, just not in the way you are implying. I grew up below the poverty line with a single mom who worked horrible minimum wage jobs that didn't stop us from at times starving, and in class I get to hear statistics about how poor people will do this or that when I break the rule every step of the way.

I do, but once again, not in the way you are implying. I'm a pedestrian, everyday and everywhere walker, and there is not a day that goes by where I'm not almost clipped by an impatient driver who is rushing for a red light. I would like to see better programs to try and curb impatient drivers because really, it's just another form of road rage.

Good, neither do I. I was assaulted as a teenager and robbed at knife point while working a retail job and I've let neither incident make me a victim.

No, I'm making my own way in the world on student loan and grants to achieve my dreams and goals. Nothing is going to come handed to me and I don't feel like it should.

That's really too bad. I love St. Patrick's Day, and going to the Highland Games, the Santa Clause Parade, rushing to the streets when my hockey team wins a playoff game. It's really quite sad that you have nothing to celebrate.

That's good, neither do I. Though, there was this one time where I wasn't allowed to play any reindeer games because my nose was glowing red. Aw shucks.

Do you ?

Oh gosh. I think I misunderstood what you were asking. You wanted to know the answer to those from a GAY perspective. Sorry, being gay is the 50th thing on my list of description words for myself.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Maybe both "sexes" is a better choice of word.
-
I apologize for the generalization. (there is truth to it in some circumstances)
-
Not sure of your point.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Dendro

Do you ?

All I can say is I was ignorant once too.

20 years ago I worked in a company where I was the minority being straight. Guess what I found out.

"People are People". Gays are just people - - they are as varied as anyone one else. There is no such thing as a "Gay Group Think":.

They have only one thing in common. Attraction to same sex.

Is there a Fringe Gay Culture. What do you think? If you were forced by an ignorant society to live in the underground and on the Fringe of society - - - what would you do?

Today with the internet - - gays can meet other gays in safety. Many gay bars have closed down because they are becoming obsolete.

If you were gay - - and didn't want to go to gay bars - - how would you meet someone? At church? Walk up to someone in the supermarket and start up a conversation? (only if you have a death wish).

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join