It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS temperature on same sex marriage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
of course it should be legal. our gay and lesbian friends should be allowed to suffer the same marital ills as us straight folk

I agree with a lot of the posts on this topic but this one sums it up best I think.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Misoir
Thus the state performs and recognizes civil unions only and the religious institutions perform and recognize marriage only. Thus if two people are married whether they are man-woman, woman-woman, or man-man, the state is permitted to only recognize them as in a civil union and not a marriage.

What would be the legal difference between a marriage and a civil union?

A marriage would not be legally binding in any way; it would be between the couple, the church, and God.

A civil union would be the legal union between a gay or straight couple (or harem) with legal repercussions.

If you want to get married in the Gay Church of God... go ahead... nobody to stop you.

If you don't want to marry men in the Southern Baptist Church of God... nobody to stop you.

If you want to be married before God... but not "legally bound" before state... nobody to stop you.

If you want to be legally bound in a civil union but not married by a church... nobody to stop you.

I like this stance. Seperation of Church and State:

Churches reserve the right to "marry" only those they wish to and governments perform legal civil unions for everyone, gay and straight alike without legal difference.

Government stays out of the marriage business and Church stays out of the legal union business.

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Thank you for clarifying. Am I happy now? Doesnt really make a difference to me, you are entitled to your opinion, I was just asking for clarification because it seemed that you were saying something different.

I really cant say what the ratio is of straight to gay, I am sure there is a number published somewhere, but it is most likely biased depedning on the organization, a religious group would be a low number and a G and L group would be a bit high. My point is just that I think it is more prevalent than any of us think. Perhaps its because I live in the NYC/Philly/DC corrider of the east coast, perhaps if I lived in Mississippi or Alaska (random choices) it might be a different perception.
edit on 11-2-2011 by youdidntseeme because: clarifying

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I believe that God (Yahweh of the Bible) created marriage, and therefore gets to define it. I further believe that God has defined marriage in scripture as being between a man and a woman.

I see no Biblical support for Homosexuality, let alone homosexual marriage.

I do not hate homosexuals, nor do I believe that homosexuality is any greater of a sin than any other. I believe that God detests all sin. Period. I love homosexuals, because Jesus loves them too, and I am called to reflect His glory.

I'm sure that most homosexuals don't feel loved by Christians like myself, but they are. When a child is growing up and reaches out to touch a hot plate, what happens? If their parent is watching they will probably get their hand slapped away... and it hurts. But the truth of the matter is that the hand slap hurt a lot less than the hot plate would have.

Ultimately, I do not believe that homosexuality is best for a person. I trust that God has better things for all of those who are currently living a homosexual lifestyle.

Here is why I cannot give my approval to homosexuality:

"Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them." (Romans 1:24-32, emphasis added.)

Also:

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20)

Homosexuals: I am not trying to be mean, but I must remain faithful to my convictions. Know that I love and care for you, and so does God.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I think same sex marriage is horrible. Awful. Barbaric and I cant believe anyone would want to do it. Its disgusting.

EXACTLY!

I wonder if you two would feel that way if you were both born hermaphrodites. That certainly would slap a new perspective on your world view.

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
I wonder if you two would feel that way if you were both born hermaphrodites. That certainly would slap a new perspective on your world view.

Did you read the entire post?

Very out of context quoting.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I think same sex marriage is horrible. Awful. Barbaric and I cant believe anyone would want to do it. Its disgusting.

EXACTLY!

Sri Oracle

That is the beauty of ATS. You will always find someone who shares your POV. I think that reading through this thread, you will see what the majority opinion is, and what the minority is. I dont think I've read that anyone has been swayed one way or another, and with this kind of hot button topic, i wouldnt expect to see that.

I used to be against gay marriage, but in the past few years I have slowly come to be more understanding and forgiving of others. I have had many gay friends and still do. I am glad that my personal beliefs have evolved to a point where I can understand my friends better, and I hope that they have forgiven me for my past beliefs.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Did you read the entire post?

Very out of context quoting.

very well... busted for skimming. My bad.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Either way, it's less than 15%, even according to the gayest of gay media outlets.

Evil is too strong a word. But then, that was my whole point. We aren't allowed to call anything evil any more.

Homosexual behavior was originally classified as an indicator of neurosis on the DSM, the diagnostic statistical model used by the American Psychological Association. The DSM is maintained by study groups of the APA, which make recommendations to the general body, which vote on how various behaviors should be diagnosed.

Homosexuality was not removed from the list by a popular vote. Instead, protesters stormed the national conference being held in San Francisco, while the study group brought its motion to the floor to remove homosexual behavior from the list, and it was voted and passed without any call for a quorum. In other words, it was removed for political, rather than medical reasons. There was good research at the time linking homosexuality with developmental issues in childhood, but that research is stale now after being suppressed for 30 years. I'm not sure that the original DSM diagnosis was correct--I'm just saying is was removed because of an agenda, and not in the interests of either science or health.

Personally, I don't believe in once-and-for-all gender labels: I believe you are only as gay or as straight as your last sexual encounter. And some people are simply not primarily sexual beings. My definition does more justice to bisexual and transgendered persons, as well as people swinging or experimenting, than do rigid, political labels.

I do believe that recurring homosexual behavior most often reflects a damaged/damaging relationship with, or emotional absence of, the same-sex parent. And saying it's just "how you are" is telling people who have never matured that they don't really need to grow up.

And not being able to say that, as a society, prevents us from helping young people mature and be healthy adults. So while not evil, "gay" gets in the way of a lot of potential human happiness.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
two forms of emotions only in humans

LOVE

and

FEAR

ALL other emotions stem from these two emotions...

If two people love each other all the better because the Side of love is being fought.

as long as they love each other peiople should be allowed to be with and do anything they want with consenting people.

Spread the love!!

and everything else will follow...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
some interesting reading, i proposely avoided any religious articles.

dont know what happened evey one of the links are broke and redirect to a religious
publication. although a christin i did not want to vocie my point just on my beliefs.

i went through many pages looking for more timely articles, i guess this just one touchy subject,

man and women

edit on 11-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: remove link because it was a broken and redirects to a religious publication

edit on 11-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: same for second didnt say this when i found them

edit on 11-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: well the thrid did the same

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm a gay man and I dont see any problem with getting married. Personally right now in my life I dont want to be but i know many gay and lesbians that do. I live in NYC and lived in Dallas TX you can ask most people my age and slightly older and younger (I'm 29), they have NO PROBLEM with gay marrage unless they are highly motivated by religion. Thats the only thing that seems to stand in the way is religion. WHY? Because the bible said so? well their were gay people thousands of years before the bible so why must we now in our times say thats the way it is? We think we are so more advanced in everyway since then, well realisticlly its only technilogical. We are still narrow minded and ignorant for the most part. Sometimes I think like most on this site I was born at the wrong time because majority of people are so blind and they only believe things because thats what their told. well people that believe that you are not more advanced then cavemen when you think that, you are even less evoloved! How is me getting married and having a family going to hurt your life and your family exactly? do you see gay people coming to homes and trying to convert you? NO but you see these freaky relegious people trying to convert you! Im actually more afraid of them! I think you should be too because God is a concept for reaching your higher power. he is meant to tap into your soul. He made me the way i am why would he make me to just hate me? thats retarted! and the people that think I'm sinning because I'm gay you're retarted and im sure you have 3 teeth and sit on the porch plucking away at your banjo. Grow up people! stop being such bigots! in the end you'll be judged for being the judger! God says thats a sin too, duh! think about what comes out of your mouth before your foot flies up into it!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

ONE word....HIV...?????

But i dont have a problem with same sex marriage. i Believe it is up to the person to decide whats best for that individual. If that person cant see that they're many diseases caused from same sex marriage then thats ok...Its not like any of us could stop them anyways
edit on 11-2-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: Blatant

edit on 11-2-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: Wrong Term

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I'm happy and gay! who says exactly that if you're gay you're not as happy as a straight person? Personally gays have more fun then the breeders! Its not happiness that is lost in gays its straights being fearful and more jealous because they cant get away with what we can due to sigmas in society.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeenyus2008

ONE word....AIDS...?????

But i dont have a problem with same sex marriage. i Believe it is up to the person to decide whats best for that individual. If that person cant see that they're many diseases caused from same sex marriage then thats ok...Its not like any of us could stop them anyways
edit on 11-2-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: Blatant

AIDS came from a monkey! gays didnt invent it or cause it! I dont know many gay men going around the jugles of NYC or San Francisco screwing monkeys!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by georgegott
How is me getting married and having a family going to hurt your life and your family exactly?

By establishing a climate where we cannot publicly say that homosexuality is arrested psychological development, and not the best way to live. Oops, that's already happened, even before you changed all the laws...

do you see gay people coming to homes and trying to convert you?

Yeah. "Glee." NBC Wednesday nights at 9, I think.

he is meant to tap into your soul. He made me the way i am why would he make me to just hate me? thats retarted!

I know what you mean. God made me fat. Why would he want me to change, when he made me this way?

Or are you implying that I am somehow responsible for the choices I make????

a-frame hugs.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by georgegott

AIDS/HIV is transmitted through unsafe sex and sharing needles as far as im concerned. Ah the good ole screwing a monkey line.

Edit: I wasnt saying that Gays caused it, but they do spread it.
edit on 11-2-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I'm happy and gay! who says exactly that if you're gay you're not as happy as a straight person? Personally gays have more fun then the breeders! Its not happiness that is lost in gays its straights being fearful and more jealous because they cant get away with what we can due to sigmas in society.

Is that why the suicide rate, drug abuse rate, violent crime (both perp and vic) rates are higher for gays? Because they are so happy all the time.

Liberals in general are less happy that conservatives. Look it up

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
double post deleted.
edit on 11-2-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

How is me getting married and having a family going to hurt your life and your family exactly?

By establishing a climate where we cannot publicly say that homosexuality is arrested psychological development, and not the best way to live. Oops, that's already happened, even before you changed all the laws...

do you see gay people coming to homes and trying to convert you?

Yeah. "Glee." NBC Wednesday nights at 9, I think.

he is meant to tap into your soul. He made me the way i am why would he make me to just hate me? thats retarted!

I know what you mean. God made me fat. Why would he want me to change, when he made me this way?

Or are you implying that I am somehow responsible for the choices I make????

a-frame hugs.

Yea well dont eat a like a pig and dont turn the channel to NBC just like people that dont want to have those born again christians coming knocking on your door most people shut the door in their faces! do the same thing to Glee...duh!? Yea they are what you are given and its your choice to make it a problem in your life or to take the good out of it and make your life better! Thats what ive done! i was born gay and I'm happy cause im one of the very few on this planet that are open and accepting of EVERYONE and ANYTHING no matter if im uncorforitble they have a right to be and think that way if it doesnt hurt anyone else. And if you let it affect your life your just stupid!

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join