It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encapsulated Crater Towns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I saw this on a site and just had to share it with everyone. It's a huge 'hole' that can fit 100,000 people inside it. They're going to fill it with trees, grass and so on and make it to where it's habitable.
I kind of dig the idea.
Of course, if any doomsday asteroids hit, it won't matter if one is underground in a bunker, in this place or flying 'safe' in Air Force One.
After all, ya gotta land sometime AND if the Earth is destroyed, well..... I just giggle at those who have paid tall money for safety in the underground bunkers if tshtf for real. Aside the point yet still a part of it, haha.

Here is the link to this Crater Town.
www.trendhunter.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Good find! i wouldn't mind leaving the surface and retreating underground some days..

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Glad to see it will have a nice dome roof on top-that would be great as you could regulate the atmosphere inside,for year round warm weather.

Good idea!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Very cool. When i first read what you said, i had a picture of Megaton from Fallout3, but the designs from the site are very cool. I have loved the idea of alternative living such as this ever since i was a kid. I think after seeing that movie the Abyss. I started drawing underwater cites, and hoping by the time i was an adult there would be places like that
I also saw a site that is dedicated to turning old missle silo's into homes. It was kind of cool too. I can't remember where, but there is also a story about people who built their houses into hills, kind of like the little guys in Lord of the Rings.

The very cool thing about all of this is that as a society that is constantly growing, we need to find newer, and cooler ways to adapt what may seem unlivable into something beautiful, and very liveable.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's a picture of the encapsulated crater town as it is most of the year.

Here's a picture during the summer, when the permafrost melts and the ground turns to sludge.

That's not grass at the bottom, it's water.

Right now the whole place is covered in thick, icy snow.

The pit is in icy Siberia, and was a diamond mine.

Mir Mine

The mine is 525 meters (1,722 ft) deep and has a diameter of 1,200 m (3,900 ft)...

The development of the mine had started in 1957 in extremely harsh climate conditions. Seven months of winter per year froze the ground into permafrost, which was hard in winter, but turned into sludge in summer. Buildings had to be raised on piles, so that they would not sink in summer, and the main processing plant had to be built on a better ground found 20 km away from the mine. The winter temperatures were so low that car tires and steel would shatter and oil would freeze. During the winter, the workers used jet engines to defreeze and dig out the permafrost or blasted it with dynamite to get access to the underlying kimberlite. The entire mine had to be covered at night to prevent the machinery from freezing.

The sunlight, the sun being close to the horizon at that latitude, never reaches the bottom of that deep, frozen hole, and snow would cover, and most likely break, any transparent cover, so the pretty garden visualised at the bottom, with the ability to stand in the sunshine there and look up and see blue sky is a mite fanciful.

Besides, any town built in that hole would be dependant on Russian nuclear power....

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think with technology changing so fast, by the time they're read to unveil that, it's going to be amazing.

Good pics there for an added bonus! thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here's the Mir mine, the location discussed in the article, on google maps.

That's quite a hole in the ground!

new topics

top topics

join