It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outfoxed:Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism (Updated)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Robert Greenwald has produced a documentary about Fox, claiming it is biased and presents partisan spin, not actual news.

Outfoxed examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know.

This documentary is making waves in the Progressive Liberal community right now, and will most likely make some waves in the national media before long.

Link to the site: www.outfoxed.org...

Clips and trailers: www.outfoxed.org...

Reviews: www.outfoxed.org...

I myself am not a fan of Fox News, or any other American media outlet except CNN, and am looking foward to seeing this.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by RockerDom]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
According to www.moveon.org, 25,000 people got together in their homes on the 19th to watch this documentary together.

I hopefully will have a copy of it this week and let you all know what it's like. I'm also on the lookout for a transcript to analyze, if anyone can find one.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
No offense to the documentary makers, but they are stating the obvious.

Fox is the antithesis of journalism but it can only work in an environment where enough people are dumb enough to take it.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear that there's some concerted action against Fox's unbalanced reporting. Murdoch prostitutes journalism IMO & I won't allow any Murdoch publication in my home.

[Was also heartened when Murdoch took out US citizenship - sorry folks, but you're welcome to him.]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the links RockerDom.

I had heard about this but did not research it. We have a few "repertoir" theathers here in Montreal as well as a place called "Excentris" that plays only independent films. I'll see if there is a showing. If not I will ask them to look into it.

BTW have you heard about or seen this "Hunting of the President" film that is playing in New York?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
BTW have you heard about or seen this "Hunting of the President" film that is playing in New York?

No I haven't, do you have any links/info on this? It sounds very interesting.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is their official site. www.thehuntingofthepresident.com...

I have not seen it but I heard/read some stuff about it. The political machinations are what interest me.

P.S> I'm not necessarily a supporter. I'm not even American!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Fox is smashing everyone in the cable news market. They must be doing something right. This documentary won't change a damn thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The question isn't about ratings, kam, its about lying. It's about being mis-representative, and not being a journalist.

I like your signature. Here's a few others from Ann:

www.townhall.com...

We don't have to adopt all the Democrats' traits � incessant lying, utter shamelessness, criminal behavior and lots of crying � but Republicans need to tattoo this truism on their arms: It's never a good idea to take advice from your enemies.

www.anncoulter.org...

Come to think of it, it's no surprise they want Saddam Hussein back. He made the Democrats seem moderate by comparison.

www.anncoulter.org...

Don't hope for any more election-year conversions if Specter is re-elected: The old coot will be 80 years old by the end of the term.

I guess I'll stop there.

The only thing people want changed is the constant liberal-bashing of FNC. I guess getting cheap laughs by making fun of people is good for them, but when Whoopi does it, it's different, right?

BTW, FNC ran 20 different news stories on the Whoopi thing. They ran one on the Berger thing. Glad they have their priorities straight over there, eh?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
FNC maybe biased and it may not be biased. But I think this documentary is just being deployed because CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, and other 24-hour news stations are losing in the ratings chart to FNC. FNC gets the viewers and FNC's Bill O''Reilly beats out Larry King, the first man to do so. I think this is a desperation tactic being used by the other stations.

I have watched FNC and found the news they report to be straight and unbiased but their talk show hosts are dreadfully conservative/Republican!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And I think that's the problem, citybug, is that they also claim the commentary shows are "the No Spin Zone" or that they are objective. And it's ok if they aren't, but don't claim they are if they aren't.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The O'Reilly Factor's host, Bill O'Reilly, does offer some objetiveness. Last night, he argued with a person who agreed with him. He points out all angles. His opinion may slip out but who doesnt. It is a No Spin Zone so he has to fight with everyone, and he does. FNC has many conservative host but they do provide both sides of the situation.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of O'Reilly because of something that happened to me one night.

My dad is the Executive Director of the United Way here. Just after the 9/11 attacks, O'Reilly was on tv one night saying that the United Way wasn't lifting one finger to help the families, and how could they be so insensitive, etc. Well, the truth is that the United Way had set up a special helpline just for victims and their families, and was there in New York working closely with the Red Cross. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there was well over $25 million dollars already there in New York being used to help these families.

Well, my dad and I see this, and he is, of course, pretty mad that O'Reilly would say this, but perhaps he just wrong information, so my dad calls up his show. The screener answers, and my dad gives his name and position, and puts my dad on hold. He sat on hold for over two hours and O'Reilly would get call after call of people slamming the United Way for being a "so-called charitable organization." O'Reillly kept saying, "I can't even get anyone from the United Way on the phone to defend them. No one from the United Way will call up. That's pretty embarassing on their part, don't you think?"

That's why I don't like Bill O'Reilly.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
EWWW... sorry to hear that! Now I can understand why you're pissed at Bill. Well, I used to be a hardcore fan of Bill O'Reilly but his reputation in my eyes has been deteriorating with his actions on the air and the stories I hear. I see him differently now with your story.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I think this is the video you're looking for.

new topics

top topics

join