It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palm Beach County Man Scolded for Cleaning up Trash on Private Properties

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Palm Beach County Man Scolded for Cleaning up Trash on Private Properties

www.palmbeachpost.com

Updated: 8:45 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011
Posted: 8:34 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011

"BELLE GLADE — A Palm Beach County man is being scorned by they city of Belle Glade after going on littered private properties.

The man says his clean up effort is an attempt to fight crime, but the city says he could be charged with criminal trespassing."....

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What ????

The article continues:

"Last Saturday, he organized a neighborhood clean up with 50 volunteers. The team cleaned several lots of dangerous trash, including needles and buckets of debris.

Wednesday the mayor and city attorney stated Rosseau didn't follow proper procedures and that he can't take the law into his own hands."

Ok so this guy and his neighbors are trying to improve their neighborhood, and they go after him?

One of the comments to this story sums it up well, at least in my mind:

"It appauls me that a citizen is being chastised and threatend by local gov't officials for bettering his community, something is obviously lacking on behalf of the local gov't officials. The only reason he is being chastised, is because he embarassed the local gov't for not doing it's job. These officals should go home with thier heads held low. I applaud Mr.Hydn Rosseau. Why is local gov't going to use my tax dollars to prosecute a man that was doing right?"

www.palmbeachpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/10/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I really don't like the title that the article gave to this. The first thought that I had was that maybe he was going into peoples yards, but from what this statement implies, that wasn't the case.

Residents who have lived in the littered neighborhood say they are angry at such actions by the city because the properties have been neglected for years.

I just wanted to add that part to your thread, in case others get the same first impression that I did. After reading the article, even though the details of the properties are vague, it seems as if it was abandoned properties. I must say, I am quite bewildered as to why the mayor would want to bring such negative attention to himself.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It's right wing authoritarianism run amok. The mayor has to show he is in charge, that his city is a "model" - and that the threat of fines and penalties is always there to keep the citizenry in line. No matter what, they are going to make sure that no good deed goes unpunished. Crank up the cash register of "justice".

ganjoa.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
While I applaud this man for his efforts,It seems he went a bit beyond "cleaning up trash" The video stated that he cut down trees which isn't just beautification but is (quite possibly)altering the value of the property. If the city condones this then it could lead to someone thinking a tree in your front yard is an eyesore and coming over and cutting it down with claims of beautification.

The simple fact is that it should've never lead to this at all if the city had in fact been doing their job in the first place.
edit on 10-2-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
People shouldn't be going on others' private property. If someone on the clean-up crew got hurt, they could sue for the damages. I agree with the mayor. The people should have used the proper channels to get it cleaned up.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is utterly repugnant. This fellow is attempting to improve the environment for himself, his neighbour folk, and any out of towner or prospective buyer for property in the area, something which benifits local people no end, and all he gets for it is an official missive slamming him for tresspass?
Its no wonder that society is breaking down no matter where you look, when age old rythmns of community action and positive group thinking are discouraged. For shame.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I read that today. It's disgusting. I personally walk a lot and constantly pick up trash. I feel that's the least I can do on this planet that, I love.

Here's something else I find unfathomable. Yesterday I noticed Police, with guns in their holsters, who stand in front of PUBLIC schools here in Palm Beach, who stop traffic to allow buses out when school lets out!

Why do kids need to see armed policeman?
Why are we paying cops to direct non-emergency traffic?

What is wrong with this planet?? Why is this world/society ruining the lives of people?
Ah never mind. I already know.

This world cannot keep this pace up for too much longer and Earth, knows it!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What am I getting so wrong when I read "private property" that many of you seem to be getting quite differently than me? Are you all saying it would be ok for me to come to your property and cut down any trees I find to be an eyesore?

I understand wanting to live in a pretty place but since when does that mean you can just go on SOMEONE ELSE's property and cut stuff down?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Oh I have seen this happening over here in the UK also. You try and do good, rather than deal drugs or be involved in crime. And your vilified for doing so.

What a compete joke. This guy and 50 volunteers put thierselves at risk, by picking up used needles and he condemmed for it. The authorities over there have thier priorities wrong, that is for sure.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

You are not missing anything, IMO. What some are missing is that we are a society of laws that must be followed for that society to function. If someone came on my property and started "cleaning up", they would be arrested for trespassing. Period.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

One of the comments to this story sums it up well, at least in my mind:

"It appauls me that a citizen is being chastised and threatend by local gov't officials for bettering his community, something is obviously lacking on behalf of the local gov't officials. The only reason he is being chastised, is because he embarassed the local gov't for not doing it's job. These officals should go home with thier heads held low. I applaud Mr.Hydn Rosseau. Why is local gov't going to use my tax dollars to prosecute a man that was doing right?"

This is not about law it is about asserting the RIGHTS of the government to control people. It is a method used to solidify the fact that the US government GRANTS rights to the people despite the fact that the Constitution make it clear the people GRANT restricted rights to the government and retain all other right to themselves.

Other examples:

In July 2000, USDA officials claimed in our court hearing that,
“The farmers have no rights.
No right to be heard before the court,
no right to independent testing, and
no right to question the USDA.”
www.vtcommons.org...

"There is no absolute right to consume or feed children any particular food."

"There is no 'deeply rooted' historical tradition of unfettered access to foods of all kinds."

...plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to obtain any food they wish.

"There is no fundamental right to freedom of contract." www.ftcldf.org...

We are now at the point where citizens need government permission to do things we used to be able to do by RIGHT.

Preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America....

Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. Source: US CONSTITUTION

It is well worth looking over the Constitution to remind ourselves of how far the US, state and Local Governments are outside their LEGALLY granted authority!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
People shouldn't be going on others' private property. If someone on the clean-up crew got hurt, they could sue for the damages. I agree with the mayor. The people should have used the proper channels to get it cleaned up.

I am a supporter of private property rights....Of course you are assuming that the use of "proper channels" would have been successful. The information was that the properties in question had been "neglected" for many years....why weren't the code enforcement officers doing their job? I am aware of many properties in my state that, unfortunately, that have been neglected for years, similiar to the one posted here; Having traveled to at least 38 out of our 50 states in my lifetime, I have also seen the same in many places elsewhere. These properties may be owned by persons who are living out of the city or state who are not aware of the condition of the property, or who may be deceased, or maybe they just don't care, who knows?

I have asked about properties when I see examples of same and sometimes the answer is positive and the city or county agrees to do something about the problem. In most instances however, you hear, sorry we are aware of the problem, however there is no money to resolve this issue; or we have no idea where the owners live as all notices have been returned to us, etc.

I will agree that it is a complicated issue.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
What am I getting so wrong when I read "private property" that many of you seem to be getting quite differently than me? Are you all saying it would be ok for me to come to your property and cut down any trees I find to be an eyesore?

I understand wanting to live in a pretty place but since when does that mean you can just go on SOMEONE ELSE's property and cut stuff down?

How is your analogy any where near what took place?

If I had litter on my lawn and someone was walking by and decided to pick it up for me, I find NOTHING wrong with that. He/she did NOT cut down my tree which is a ridiculous comparison!

Everyone has lost their social skills. No one knows who to interact with others anymore. We're a paranoid world who trusts..... no one anymore.

I do for I am a non-conformist (as I feel everyone should be because conforming to the rules is NOT working)
And if everyone were to bend these insane societal rules without breaking the Universal laws (of doing good) then perhaps we wouldn't be in this state of dishevelment that we're in .

If someone wants to help ME keep OUR planet clean, there is NOTHING wrong with that. What is wrong is how everyone is reacting lately and.........it's just going to get worse.

So go ahead, condone this behavior. And when you get arrested for waving at someone who will deem that a terrorist threat then, do NOT come on ATS to complain about it.

Good grief!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
How is your analogy any where near what took place?

By being EXACTLY THE SAME as what took place.

If I had litter on my lawn and someone was walking by and decided to pick it up for me, I find NOTHING wrong with that. He/she did NOT cut down my tree which is a ridiculous comparison!

Then your comparison is lacking. This man was using construction equipment and cutting down trees. Can I bring my cherry picker in your yard and cut down some of your trees I do not like or not?

Everyone has lost their social skills. No one knows who to interact with others anymore. We're a paranoid world who trusts..... no one anymore.

I do for I am a non-conformist (as I feel everyone should be because conforming to the rules is NOT working)
And if everyone were to bend these insane societal rules without breaking the Universal laws (of doing good) then perhaps we wouldn't be in this state of dishevelment that we're in .

If someone wants to help ME keep OUR planet clean, there is NOTHING wrong with that. What is wrong is how everyone is reacting lately and.........it's just going to get worse.

So go ahead, condone this behavior. And when you get arrested for waving at someone who will deem that a terrorist threat then, do NOT come on ATS to complain about it.

Good grief!

I have no clue what the rest of your rant even means.

PRIVATE PROPERTY. Yeah, the places sure did look like crap. However that does not give you the right to drive a bulldozer onto my lawn and start taking down my trees. Justify it with emotional pleas all you like. Who do you suppose put all that trash there? I guess I am more concerned with finding out how and when drug dealer started planting ugly trees to hide drugs in.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
We are now at the point where citizens need government permission to do things we used to be able to do by RIGHT.

When did we have the RIGHT to trespass on private property?

Originally posted by manta78
Of course you are assuming that the use of "proper channels" would have been successful.

No I am not. But we, as citizens, don't have the right to get what we want. We live together and must be respectful of the laws (or go through proper channels to TRY to change them), but we have no guarantee that going through the proper channels will make anything happen.

We can't always get what we want... But taking the law into our hands (which I have been tempted to do many times, believe me) is not the answer.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

If someone wants to help ME keep OUR planet clean, there is NOTHING wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing morally wrong. But it is against the law. It's called trespassing. You can't just break the law because you think it's the morally right thing to do.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If someone wants to help ME keep OUR planet clean, there is NOTHING wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing morally wrong. But it is against the law. It's called trespassing. You can't just break the law because you think it's the morally right thing to do.

Sometimes 'laws' are meant to be bent! Especially this one.
So, are Halloween Trick O Treaters not allowed on your property either now because after all, that's considered trespassing?

This was a HARMLESS trespass.

What if I were walking down your road with my grandson and the baby ran on to your property to catch a butterfly. Would I not be allowed to retrieve my baby?

What if my hat flew off my head while bicycling and landed on your brush, am I not allowed (or at least, exonerated to some degree) to fetch it?

Trespassing means 'passing' through beyond a limit or boundary on your property! It doesn't mean stepping on it. I think this and every other law is blown way out of proportion of it's original intent!

So god of bid, your house ever catches on fire and you're screaming from the upstairs window for help, I'll be sure to obey your No Trespassing sign!
edit on 10-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Wait a second please. I did not read that this person cut down trees. Where does it say that??? And if that is true then, that's a WHOLE other thing. Please show me where it says that.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ok so let's use a "what if" example: You live in this crime ridden neighborhood, you do not have any money to move, you are a decent citizen and care about the people and your surroundings. You see this trash everywhere, maybe parts of cars, old appliances, beer bottles, needles, etc. It has been this way for years...Drug dealers are moving into the area as it's obvious to them that the authorities are paying no attention to this part of town. Previous attempts to get your city or county to do something about it, have failed, or are met with indifference, or you are told the usual "sorry we don't have any money to deal with it" response. The properties in question are neglected or abandoned...no one is living there....Are you saying that you would do NOTHING to make a positive change, because oh well we tried, the law doesn't care, and so there is nothing we can do?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join