It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crematorium to heat water for town's swimmers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Now this is an imaginative way to make the most of our natural resources.

(Reuters) - A local authority in England has given the go ahead for a swimming pool to use energy created by the next-door crematorium to heat its water.

The plan, the first of its kind in Britain, will see waste heat from the incinerator chimney used to warm up the neighboring leisure center and its new pool.

www.reuters.com

Apparently this practice is common in other parts of Europe. Some people (very few if the story is to be believed) think it's sick and insulting. If the families of the deceased take issue, I guess they can go elsewhere to have the body burned. If the swimmers have any issues, guess they can choose not to swim.

Anyway, just thought this was interesting.

edit on 10/2/11 by argentus because: add link

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It's been on our local news a few times in the past months.

Waste not want not

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

Haha. Yes. I was just imagining as I read that story what local reaction would be if something like this was to happen here.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Haha.. I can imagine the pool getting warmer and every one in it frowning, "ooohh."

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I guess some people are just dieing for a heated indoor pool there

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I dont really see an issue with it and it does make me giggle when i hear people who complain a little about this,
In the times of us all worrying about carbon footprints ect ect this is a good and cheaper way i would assume of working it,

Its not like its bodies really being put in the pool lol, It will save thousands in the cost of heating a leisure center,

And its really only waste heat anyway,
edit on 10-2-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is one of those situations where its better not to know. I have no problem at all with the plan, but I can see why some people would. It forces people to think about where their luxuries are coming from, not always the prettiest of pictures. I worked for years in a bakeries, people really enjoyed the wonderful baked goods, but if they ever saw what some of the shops looked like, they would never eat it.

People are happy as long as their bellies are full and their pool water warm I guess.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Talk about using natural energy
Well at least those people can live happy knowing that after death, they will keep people warm
Plus be happy with the fact that in the zombie armaggeddon they will just be ash, and not have to worry about brains.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I think I'd rather not know. Let me know if they start using live bodies to heat things with?

reply to post by Royal76

just knew someone was going to mention zombies!

Here's an article from Earth First about the practice in Sweden: Green Funerals: Swedish Town Recycles Heat from Crematorium
edit on 2/10/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I would point blank refuse to even dip my toe into this vile swimming pool.

Is nothing sacred anymore? First they come up with cremation as a convenient way of getting rid of your dead body (because they can't be bothered to bury you). Next they rig up the crematorium to the leisure centres heating system so that your corpse can at least be useful in reducing the local councils electricity bill. Before you know it we'll all be eating soylent green - mark my words.

We'd all better get used to the fact that life is becoming cheap in our supposedly developed western nations.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

To be honest, I'd think twice as well. There seems to be more cremation in Asia and Europe than in the U.S. So far anyway. Maybe it's a space issue? China cremates half its dead. Wonder where some of that air pollution is coming from?

edit on 2/10/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Sign me up! I want to be cremated and I used to love to swim.

Seriously .. no problem unless for some strange reason the remains and the water were to comingle.
I don't see that happening ....

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yes, the dead's souls travel on the smoke to Heaven. You're STEALING their energy to get there and using it to heat POOL WATER.

I had to try that opinion on for size. It really does look as stupid as I thought it would.
edit on 2011/2/10 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That made me
Hey, you never know!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I support this. It's hilarious, it's practical, it's attention getting, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I wonder what this initial conversations regarding this idea were like.

"So Bob, you have your crematorium next door to my swimming pool... Now stop me if this offends you I'm just thinking out loud here, what if... umm, can I make use of heat generated by the, ah, cremation process, and help warm the pool water?"

"No one's ever asked me that before Jerry, this is a huge wtf moment for me, can we talk about this tomorrow, because I can see you're serious, and I need some time for this to sink in."

"Okay cool, I'm just looking to save some energy and a couple bucks, that's all."

"Shut up now Jerry, see ya tomorrow."

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I want to start up a SOLAR CREMATORY.
Just a bunch of computer controlled mirrors pointed at a black steel box.
Almost 100% use of the suns energy, no
converting it to electricity.
Sounds like a good idea.
Any venture capitalists here?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

I think there's an obsessed teenager that can help you. Ha, then it really would be a "death ray!"

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

Before you know it we'll all be eating soylent green - mark my words.

Bit of a stretch to go from using the potential energy from an otherwise useless carcass to eating the bloody thing don't you think? Burying dead folk in a hole in the ground is pretty much just a waste of space.

We'd all better get used to the fact that life is becoming cheap in our supposedly developed western nations.

Um yeah, except they are using dead people, not live ones.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

We all do return to the earth in one form or another, eh? Some just do it faster than others with more immediately discernible and/or usable by-products.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Something thrilling, but maybe this is a good way to save energy and money...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join