It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Toss Daylight Saving Time: Is Pole Shift the Reason?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
Perhaps someone can explain to me how any amount of magnetic pole movement can cause any variation in geographical phenomena like sun rise/set timings because, to my understanding, it simply can't. My own observations indicate no abnormal magnetic pole variations but don't get me wrong, there is some movement just as there always has been.

Daylight saving was introduced as an initiative here long ago to reduce power consumption during a weather related power crisis (hydro power, drought and load growth don't mix well). The basic idea was that making sunset an hour later than normal in summer meant people used less energy for artificial lighting. That principle is now completely redundant with the advent of domestic air conditioning systems which have shifted the peak demand to the afternoon of a hot summer day but the anachronistic daylight saving remains like an ancient custom (I don't like it much personally). It was also used during war to allow workers to get home in daylight and increase the effectiveness of the afterdark blackout (made it harder for enemy pilots to id their targets).

Not all states here in Oz have daylight saving and, most recently, one of the non-DS states trialled it for 2 years then held a public referendum in which it was flatly rejected. Another state has opposition to DS strong enough to ensure it will never even be trialled there. It has nothing to do with pole movements apart from the polarization of people
It also makes things more difficult for those of us whose jobs involve a lot of dealings across timezones so I would really like to see us follow that Russian lead and give it the flick.

In 2009 Western Australia 55% voted against DS ,not really flaty rejected is it,
Queensland has had DS trials 1989/90 and 1991/92, 54.5% voted no in the 1992 referendum.

en.wikipedia.org...
Why use BS to attack DS matey ?
As for the using less power idea i can't find anything to support that,but would be happy to be shown otherwise

edit on 12/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

Salutations fellow Oz-dweller

Seems I was somewhat extravagant in my use of 'flatly' but rejected it was (in WA most recently) and I wasn't aware of it even ever being trialled in Qld so thanks for that. As you'll have guessed, I'd be one of those 55% nay-sayers because it seems to create difficulties for me with no obvious advantages to balance it out.

Re Tas daylight saving

Tasmania pioneered Australia's post-WW2 usage of daylight saving by unilaterally adopting it in the summer of 1967 for a 6 month period as an emergency energy saving measure.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Good for Russia! I'm glad one country has some common sense. I've been complaining about the change for years and would rather just stay on the summer time. I've even read some studies that indicate that safety was never taken into consideration when doing these time changes every year. Every time we lose an hour of sleep due to the time change, accidents and deaths increase here in the US. People are more tired during that particular time change until they adjust. I believe any energy saving due to the time change is very minimal nowadays as well so it just doesn't make a lot of sense to keep changing our schedules and clocks.

If you want to know why Russia made the change, I would say common sense prevailed. I would not look for extravagant reasons like some kind of pole shift.

edit on 12-2-2011 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
reply to post by Travlla

Salutations fellow Oz-dweller

Seems I was somewhat extravagant in my use of 'flatly' but rejected it was (in WA most recently) and I wasn't aware of it even ever being trialled in Qld so thanks for that. As you'll have guessed, I'd be one of those 55% nay-sayers because it seems to create difficulties for me with no obvious advantages to balance it out.

Re Tas daylight saving

Tasmania pioneered Australia's post-WW2 usage of daylight saving by unilaterally adopting it in the summer of 1967 for a 6 month period as an emergency energy saving measure.

Well we both learned something today,so it's a good day
,it's a state thing so lobby your local state MP to change it,i doubt very much it will ever be gotten rid of in Victoria thou,i don't think i have ever spoken to anyone here who dislikes it besides dairy farmers,
As for Russia and pole shifts,i highly doubt it

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Could it be our solar system passing through something??

Seems likely. [Good question btw.] …We're also approaching solar maximum, a time of high solar activity - which is well known to have a variety of effects.

Also see Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

NASA satellites recorded two stars colliding, and disappearing into a black hole. Such collisions explain the origins of gamma rays, the most energetic and deadly form of electromagnetic radiation. Researchers hope that studying the NASA records also will help detect associated bursts of gravitational waves. Hopefully, the information might help unravel the mystery of earth's larger cycles of climate change, and explain the impacts of black holes, interstellar radiation, and gravitational waves on this planet.

reply to post by weedwhacker

I think some of the claims need a few verifications, before we all 'panic'....

I agree - and note that the article flags a number of areas for further research and verification.

…I'm always confounded by that "panic response." What's with that? Is anyone into a "let's check it out and see what's really happening" mode?!? …seems like everyone's responding emotionally - either mindnumbing panic or equally mindnumbing total denial. No middle ground, no looking further, no clarification, nada.

NOTE: Neither panic nor denial are "opinions," and neither response represents any kind of educated consideration. BOTH responses are just emotional reactions; both stem from fear.

Magnetic polar shifts have occurred many times in Earth's history. It's happening again now to every planet in the solar system including Earth.

It's the bold, underlined bit that has me going

Am curious to know why that author made such a sweeping claim, and just exactly what information sources were used to reach that conclusion.

Good question. You might start with NASA - and please, report back with your findings.

Interplanetary Magnetic Field Lines

When a spacecraft breaks away from the influence of the Earth's magnetic field into interplanetary space, it finds there a weak magnetic field. The field may be weak, but it extends over huge distances, and can have important effects.

reply to post by Pilgrum

Perhaps someone can explain to me how any amount of magnetic pole movement can cause any variation in geographical phenomena like sun rise/set timings because, to my understanding, it simply can't…

Glad you brought that up.

…Fact is, I was referring to the geographic North Pole shifting, and the Chandler Wobble extending - probably as a result of geophysical activity starting with the 2004 earthquake and tsunami. …I suspect the earth has shifted on its axis. No proof though, except indications like changes in polar days.

The Earth Has More Than One North Pole

...there is the geographic north pole, also known as "true north." This is the spot in the Arctic Ocean where all the man-made lines of longitude converge on a map as well as the conceptual point on the ice-encrusted waters that countless explorers sought to stab with their national banner–bearing flagpoles, beginning in 1827 with British rear admiral, Sir William Edward Parry.

Somewhat related to the geographic north pole is the considerably less famous instantaneous north pole, where Earth's rotational axis meets its surface, as well as the celestial north pole, where the axis spears the night sky (in an imaginary extension kind of way). The instantaneous north pole is not fixed. Rather, it moves in an irregular circle caused by "the Chandler wobble"—named for astronomer Seth Carlo Chandler, who discovered in 1891 that our planet wobbles as it rotates. His discovery gives rise to the "north pole of balance," which lies at the center of this circle.

All of this jargon separates into unique, if not pedantic, definitions. So although they all share the term "north pole," each has clearly staked out its own semantic territory. The same cannot be said, however, of the last two "north poles" in this rundown, and both relate to Earth's very real magnetic field, which is generated by fluid motion inside the planet's core. That motion—affected by Earth's rotation—sets up a naturally occurring electric generator that sustains the magnetic field.

Re: Your question: Can the magnetic poles interact with the geographic poles and "cause any variation in geographical phenomena"? …Why not? If only by weight redistribution following (magnetic) core disturbances?

Some related info here Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Re: Your question: Can the magnetic poles interact with the geographic poles and "cause any variation in geographical phenomena"? …Why not? If only by weight redistribution following (magnetic) core disturbances?

I'm not going to deny this as a possibility (a very remote one) so all I'd need is evidence of it to be convinced and, for me, the best evidence of all is what I can prove conclusively for myself and fortunately this geographic or magnetic (or even both) pole shift is very simple to check with the most basic of equipment.

As mentioned in another similar pole-shift thread, a significant magnetic shift can be noticed with just a compass. By significant I mean far in excess of the normal 'wandering' of the poles. No compass required for a geographic shift, just looking at a GPS reveals whether your location in relation to the orbiting GPS satellites is any different and GPS can reveal a shift of less than a metre accurately. Another sure sign would be every satellite dish on the planet suddenly needing re-alignment to re-acquire the geo-stationary satellites in the Clarke Belt.

None of those symptoms have been reported and it definitely wouldn't go unnoticed.
I haven't had to move my own sat dish or found myself parked in the wrong town or street as yet but that's the sort of evidence that will ultimately convince me (personal verification). No amount of claims of pole shifting (or the sky falling) or links to such claims will persuade me - I need to see it for myself and the simple fact is there is no evidence of an abnormal pole movement going on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join