It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Toss Daylight Saving Time: Is Pole Shift the Reason?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The official explanation for Russis not making the "daylight savings time" switch is that the time change "may lead to stress and illnesses." As I recall, the USA and Canada changed the date for the switch a few years back.

BUT. As we've all noticed, something's definitely gone wonky with our sunrises, sunsets and seasons. ...Looks like a cover-up to me.

Russia's president has announced starting this year the country will stick to summer time and not switch to daylight saving time as it has done since 1981.

...Daylight saving time, practiced in every European country except Iceland and in many other countries around the world, was introduced as a way to save energy.

Its first use in Russia was in 1917, RIA Novosti said.

Premature End of Polar Night in Greenland

Light shines in High Arctic darkness

Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )

Reason for all the early sunrises in northern hemisphere

edit on 10/2/11 by soficrow because: wd

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Common sense is the reason.

You see, contrary to bureaucratic wrangling, we actually still have the same amount of daylight.

You can't actually "save" any daylight, so the whole thing is ridiculous! Supposedly we save electricity by getting people out of their homes at different times, but the micro-effects are astronomical and unpredictable, and nobody can say for sure that we actually saved anything. How much more fuel do all the cars in traffic use while running their air conditioners, compared to running the air conditioner at home? How many more coffee makers are running to help people adjust to the time change, compared to just running the lights an extra few minutes? Why not just alter the hours of operation instead of actually changing the time? Maybe summer hours should be 9 to 6 instead of 8 to 5? Seems much more direct than changing the clocks.

There is the old adage about how NASA spent $XX thousands of dollars inventing an inkpen that would work in zero gravity....Russians used a pencil. Maybe we should follow their lead?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I seriously don't see how you can make a connection between daylight savings time and a pole shift. There are many places that don't change the clock to account for daylight savings time.

Daylight Saving Time, for the U.S. and its territories, is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, most of the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and the state of Arizona (not the Navajo Indian Reservation, which does observe). Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, due to its large size and location in three states.

Does this mean that the locations listed knew about a pole shift long ago and left the rest of us in the dark about it? Those bastards!!

Seems to me that "pole shift" is the latest and greatest fad and everyone with access to an outlet (blog, radio show, ATS) is jumping on the bandwagon.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In Canada, Saskatchewan also does not do any time changes through the year. We only have to pay attention to what the time difference is, in the provinces on each side of us.

Not sure why Sask never bothered with it, maybe because there's only 1 million people in the whole province, and many of them are farmers, so we just get up with the sun, whenever it rises. In the winter, it's about 8 am, in the summer, about 4 or 5 am.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree that it's common-sensical - but also think there may be other factors motivating the response at this time. ...and while we may still experience the same amount of daylight on average, seems clear we're experiencing it on a different schedule.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Since the sun rose early in Greenland for the first time ever, I have to agree that something has definitely changed!

I just wanted to take the opportunity to rant about Daylight Savings Time, and this thread seemed appropriate.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Since the "pole shift" is overblown hyperbole.....no, Russia's decision has nothing to do with that.

Looks more as if it's a practical, bureaucratic decision....the whole country spans nine timezones, after all....!!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Finally someone has decided to scrap the most pointless and annoying "tradition" that we still practice as a society. For the past several years, I have researched and researched for any, just one shred of logical reasoning behind why we should keep switching the time back and forth as we do, and I have not came up with anything remotely sensical.

This has nothing to do with pole shift, that's kind of silly, but it's great to see someone step up and change it. I hope the United States follows suit, and if they don't immediately, I'm going to find as many people as possible to petition the government to change it. Russia's reasoning is perfectly sound and are my complaints with it all as well. Good job Russia for seeing a silly tradition for what it truly is.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ditto: weedwhacker post

the article i read yesterday was something to the effect that the time changes were detrimental to
the farmers & such...(a Putin Quote....how's he ruling over the President?)

also, the number of time zones across Russia will be reduced by 2 or 3...
its all linked to economics, school kids, farmers, bureaucracy waste somehow...

can't recall the link or article title....sorry for no citing or link

`````````````````````````

but as for a magnetic pole shift reason.... i sure would not dismiss that out-of-hand...

i was reflecting on this article....about the magnet wanderings being a root cause for all the recent
Weather related Anomalies...& possibly the animal swarms/flocks/pods/schools/herds all
finding unusual decimations happening in greater numbers of events in many more places, more frequently...
see:
www.salem-news.com...

Feb-04-2011 00:50
Magnetic Polar Shifts Causing Massive Global Superstorms
Terrence Aym Salem-News.com

Courtesy: Weather Snob

(CHICAGO) - NASA has been warning about it…scientific papers have been written about it…geologists have seen its traces in rock strata and ice core samples…

Now "it" is here: an unstoppable magnetic pole shift that has sped up and is causing life-threatening havoc with the world's weather.

Superstorms can also cause certain societies, cultures or whole countries to collapse. Others may go to war with each other.

edit on 10-2-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I understand.

Rant away.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Wow. Thanks so much St Udio! S&
Excellent article, great links. Am off to read more but here are a few more tasty bits:

...what drives planetary weather patterns is the climate and what drives the climate is the sun's magnetosphere and its electromagnetic interaction with a planet's own magnetic field.

When the field shifts, when it fluctuates, when it goes into flux and begins to become unstable anything can happen. And what normally happens is that all hell breaks loose.

Magnetic polar shifts have occurred many times in Earth's history. It's happening again now to every planet in the solar system including Earth.

The magnetic field drives weather to a significant degree and when that field starts migrating superstorms start erupting.

reply to post by weedwhacker

Please - do read the article St Udio linked - it's a good summary of current knowledge.

edit on 11/2/11 by soficrow because: to add end

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Canada has one province, Saskachawan which doesn't change, and the world continues merrily along.
oh wait
noe, the world is not merry....
eeeeps, we are all going to die!

I'm really glad my internet connection changes the time automatically, or it would probably be really messed up around here.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2011 by Danbones because: unspelled the punch line

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
All the people in this thread focusing on regions that do not use DST.

Apples and oranges. The regions have not changed times in a long time, of ever.

Russia did, but is now going to stop doing it.

See the difference?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Magnetic polar shifts have occurred many times in Earth's history. It's happening again now to every planet in the solar system including Earth.

Why would it happen on every planet at the same time?

Could it be our solar system passing through something??

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
as I read it the sun is the driver.
As to Saskachawan never doing the change, my point was out of ten provinces and a couple territories they are the only one who doesn't and there is no real confusion about it. Other then changing the time we start and stop majorly which Canada just did to "harmonize in part with the U$.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
All the people in this thread focusing on regions that do not use DST.

Apples and oranges. The regions have not changed times in a long time, of ever.

Russia did, but is now going to stop doing it.

See the difference?

Sure. So? Do you think that is a pithy revelation? Do you think that is incredibly insightful? Maybe it's a nation that has seen the folly of the whole thing and has decided to dump it. Sounds good to me. Wish we'd do the same thing.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by schuyler

I do as well. But that does not negate the fact that you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

I also find the timing funny

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I did...look at that "Salem" article. Digesting. Taking with a lot of salt, though.....(bad for the blood pressure, you know....). I think some of the claims need a few verifications, before we all 'panic'....

....and, backinblack caught a blurb from that source that I missed, so I repeat (and comment) because it was one of those "Whaaaaa?" moments:

It's the bold, underlined bit that has me going

Am curious to know why that author made such a sweeping claim, and just exactly what information sources were used to reach that conclusion.

I was unaware that we had spacecraft recording the magnetic field shifts of "every planet in the solar system" with such accuracy. It is doubly surprising, also, since just thinking of Mars, for instance, that actually lacks a magnetic field (and has the currently active robotic probes and other recent studies to know this fact) ....it tends to cast a shadow over some of the other statements, it would seem??

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Common sense is the reason.

You see, contrary to bureaucratic wrangling, we actually still have the same amount of daylight.

You can't actually "save" any daylight, so the whole thing is ridiculous! Supposedly we save electricity by getting people out of their homes at different times, but the micro-effects are astronomical and unpredictable, and nobody can say for sure that we actually saved anything. How much more fuel do all the cars in traffic use while running their air conditioners, compared to running the air conditioner at home? How many more coffee makers are running to help people adjust to the time change, compared to just running the lights an extra few minutes? Why not just alter the hours of operation instead of actually changing the time? Maybe summer hours should be 9 to 6 instead of 8 to 5? Seems much more direct than changing the clocks.

There is the old adage about how NASA spent $XX thousands of dollars inventing an inkpen that would work in zero gravity....Russians used a pencil. Maybe we should follow their lead?

My state in Australia has daylight savings some don't,personally I'm for it as are most people in my state,
here's why most people like it here
I get an extra hour of daylight after work to do things with my family,i couldn't care less about t losing an hour of daylight in the mornings,i get up and go to work and it's daylight any ways,I dunno about the US but in Australia it's about more daylight after work not light,AC etc

why would i want to start work an hour later in summertime,all i would be doing is losing an hour of daylight in the afternoon,i think you meant starting an hour earlier maybe ? and if that's the case people would still be downing coffee to wake up till their body clocks got used to getting up an hour earlier ,so i fail to see the difference,

I don't understand the pencil/pen example because changing clocks here is free,

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Perhaps someone can explain to me how any amount of magnetic pole movement can cause any variation in geographical phenomena like sun rise/set timings because, to my understanding, it simply can't. My own observations indicate no abnormal magnetic pole variations but don't get me wrong, there is some movement just as there always has been.

Daylight saving was introduced as an initiative here long ago to reduce power consumption during a weather related power crisis (hydro power, drought and load growth don't mix well). The basic idea was that making sunset an hour later than normal in summer meant people used less energy for artificial lighting. That principle is now completely redundant with the advent of domestic air conditioning systems which have shifted the peak demand to the afternoon of a hot summer day but the anachronistic daylight saving remains like an ancient custom (I don't like it much personally). It was also used during war to allow workers to get home in daylight and increase the effectiveness of the afterdark blackout (made it harder for enemy pilots to id their targets).

Not all states here in Oz have daylight saving and, most recently, one of the non-DS states trialled it for 2 years then held a public referendum in which it was flatly rejected. Another state has opposition to DS strong enough to ensure it will never even be trialled there. It has nothing to do with pole movements apart from the polarization of people
It also makes things more difficult for those of us whose jobs involve a lot of dealings across timezones so I would really like to see us follow that Russian lead and give it the flick.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join